Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

You'd best batten down your hatches, a hurricane's a'comin!

Time to get out of dodge

or does this comic strip have a super Hero on his way.

Because it appears you will need one.

Tsk tsk, gentlemen...so little faith in American mettle and grit. Allow me to present a ..ah...preview of what is coming...not the end but.... the road to the end... A snapshot of one moment, shall we say. ;)

IMG_1277.JPG

Stupendously wonderful news! Anyone can win a "balanced" battle. IanL has given your men a golden opportunity to prove their mettle. Allow them to die for you. They will thank you.

I suggest inciting the Sturmies to fire, then use the lull between shells to charge up at them. If you don't have a jeep, use the Chaffee and just dismount the crew next to the Sturmies. It will be glooooorious!  ;)

You've got it all wrong, Ken! I will take Patton's wisdom and let the enemy die gloriously for his country! :P

You keep using that word - are you sure it means what you think it means ?

...of course, if you thought it meant "Short and One-Sided", then carry on... :lol: 

My men on the ridge got the chance for glory...the men down below in Liefrange prefer their bayonets unsullied with the blood of a defeated enemy.

Man, how did Ken get to write my posts for me? LOL

Bud_B,

Though scary as all get out for the attacked, it makes very good military sense for there to be a pair of Sturmtigers, despite the staggering cost. Why? If you look at the German regs for Tiger tank employment, it was strictly forbidden to use them solo, since this killed any possibility of mutual support, to include being towed away. There being far fewer Sturmtigers than any other Tiger heavy AFV, seems to me this would be even more the case. Were I your foe, I'd try to find a position from which I could alternate firing by the two behemoths.

I must say I view the news flash with a certain amount of consternation and dismay, since I'm not the sort of person who skips to the end of a novel to see how things shook out. Of course, this could be some made up story released to boost morale as Liefrange and our GIs are systematically blown sky high! In any event, I delight in your amazing work and anxiously await the next panels. Tremendous stuff!  I see also I completely misplaced my discourse on Sturmtiger ROF. I reproduce it here, with a few tweaks.

Ref Sturmtiger ROF, there is nothing on this in the relevant Catalog of Enemy Ordnance entry, perhaps because there had not yet been time to assess it. 

http://www.lonesentry.com/ordnance/sturmmorser-38-cm-rocket-tiger-chassis.html

While I freely grant the projectiles are huge, I'd remind people the crane is there because of the vertical lift involved in loading ammo. That is something altogether different from handling the rounds inside the fighting compartment, taking them from ready racks. As you can see here, there is loading tray equipped with rollers, hugely simplifying the reloading process and drastically shortening the time you might expect it to take. This is very much like the way naval guns are loaded. No idea whether the Sturmtiger had power ramming. For comparison, note the WW II US 8'/55 gun is in the same projectile weight class, and there is power ramming. 10 rpm! For US 8' howitzer M1, which fires a lighter projectile, since same doesn't have to smash through armor or take the G loads of a full-blown naval rifle, the ROF, using complex manual loading, is 1 rpm or 3 rounds in two minutes at max ROF. Sustained is 1 round every two minutes. Also of importance, I think, in assessing Sturmtiger ROF is that the rocket projectiles are entirely self-contained, so there is no ammo unpacking; there are no bagged powder charges to deal with, no breech swabbing, no fuzes to be set, firing offsets to be computed by the FDC, relayed to the gun, and other operations typical of the FA case, at least. The Sturmtiger is a DF weapon, though if it has the sights, I suppose it could be used for IF. Again, huge time savings.

Regarding the 3 dead Shermans, think of what a 250 pound bomb would do it dropped smack among three closely spaced Shermans, which I recall reading they were. Believe one was turned turtle, too. (Goes away and digs) Here's what seems to me to be credible sourcing. Axis History Forum has this quote.

Kleine, E. and Kühn, V. Tiger: the History of a Legendary Weapon, 1942-45. p.245

Strumtiger-Kompanie 1001 destroyed a large bunker in the Westwall Line with a single rocket. In one village in the combat zone in which there were several Sherman tanks, a direct hit inflicted severe damage. Almost all of the Shermans were put out of operation and their crews killed or wounded.

Anyone got a battle history for the unit, preferably with some statement defining location specifics so US unit can be IDed? Gleefully, I observe that the previously unknown Strumtiger variant produced not only the usual Rw 61 devastation, but it was accompanied by such awful music that the enemy in the vicinity went mad!"

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I must say I view the news flash with a certain amount of consternation and dismay, since I'm not the sort of person who skips to the end of a novel to see how things shook out. Of course, this could be some made up story released to boost morale as Liefrange and our GIs are systematically blown sky high! In any event, I delight in your amazing work and anxiously await the next panels. Tremendous stuff!

Now, now, John, don't fret! I've not shown you the last page of the story, merely one of the colour plates that is referenced later in the book. ;) Consider it an amuse-bouche before the main course! Much happens before and after that scene, and much I don't yet know what will happen. 

8 minutes to go, 22 done out of this 30 minute battle. We have played until minute 6...So I have screenshots for the next two. Well over 100, in fact... :wacko: .... And a lot of little stories to discover in the battle, and to tell in those two minutes of action. The fight really begins in the next few seconds. Everything before now was just hors d'oeuvres.

Edited by Bud_B

Arrrg! hors d'oeuvres. Friggin' cliff hanger. You can't just leave it at that!

Keep 'em coming. Great stuff in the AAR. I appreciate the time you take to create it. 

ugh, yeah, sorry about that, I have so many screenshots that it's going to take hours to just organize them into a coherent plot line! That's the problem when everything goes nuts across the whole map! 

Thanks for the words of appreciation - makes my day, :)

Edited by Bud_B

ugh, yeah, sorry about that, I have so many screenshots that it's going to take hours to just organize them into a coherent plot line! That's the problem when everything goes nuts across the whole map! 

And just for  a little added pressure, the ending of the Bil/Baneman Battle means that the entire CM:FB forum audience is now hovering here, awaiting (with baited breath) the next panels in the Bud/Ian saga!! :P

Take your time Bud!  As long as they are here by lunch...   B) 

Edited by gnarly