Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Bud,

Great frigging action.  That SturmTiger is like a damn TIMEX watch..."takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."

Looks like flank shots are needed for that thing.  Even if only an immobilization hit, you've won.

Did Tony actually get wounded or did he "accidentally" trip and break his ankle?  I'm pretty sure he didn't want to be the "Tube Guy," as nothing good happens to the red-shirted security guys on the away team when they beam down to the new planet, muhahaha. 

Will terrain allow for a bazooka team to squirrel their way up for a flank shot?  Better yet, get Telly Savalas to run his Chaffee around and take pot shots from the side or even the rear.

Always a great read and visually stunning. 

Heinrich505

Here's hoping the main gun on the SturmTiger is out of commission.

It's strange, if Ian had any other tanks, they should have shown up by now. Where are the rest of his forces?

Have you seen any other indications of enemy activity?

I didn't see any penetration hit text so I am not optimistic that it's disabled. That's a total of five hits on this thing, including two weapon hits. That's one tough SOB....

Initially when I occupied the ridge I saw a number of tank contacts, but once I was forced off those gradually faded, until a few minutes ago, when they started reappearing. I haven't seen anything, but about 5 armour contacts  have shifted position over time. 

I am surprised he hasn't attacked me in force yet, but he has a narrowing window of time to do that. I am drawing a few possible rationales:

1. He may be concerned about crossing that large open space before Liefrange. It's risky for his infantry and half tracks will not be able to do so as long as I have my armour. There is also the not-inconsequential risk of immobilization crossing that terrain, which could throw the balance of forces out massively. 

2. He doesn't know that I spoke to a Bil before we started this battle and that Bil wanted the M36s and I took the Chaffee so that we don't both showcase the same things and ignore other new units. Had that not been a consideration, the Chaffee would have been replaced with an M36 and this would be a bit more problematic for Ian. Be that as it may, the simple in-game rationale will be that the unfortunate Lt. Lawrence simply didn't get any M36s due to the vagaries of war. Bad things happen, and you don't get your ideal force when you want it. 

From a meta-game standpoint, Ian has enough points in my view to buy another 3 serious tanks, like Panthers. If he went infantry-heavy then he has a big problem because he can't reach Liefrange without taking massive casualties. So you can understand my wish to make him come to me. He doesn't have time to sit there forever and bombard me to bits, and I hold the key objective, without which he cannot win. 

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

Great frigging action.  That SturmTiger is like a damn TIMEX watch..."takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."

Looks like flank shots are needed for that thing.  Even if only an immobilization hit, you've won.

Did Tony actually get wounded or did he "accidentally" trip and break his ankle?  I'm pretty sure he didn't want to be the "Tube Guy," as nothing good happens to the red-shirted security guys on the away team when they beam down to the new planet, muhahaha. 

Will terrain allow for a bazooka team to squirrel their way up for a flank shot?  Better yet, get Telly Savalas to run his Chaffee around and take pot shots from the side or even the rear.

Always a great read and visually stunning. 

Heinrich505

Always generous with your praise, thank you. :)

Yeah, the SturmTiger is impossible to defeat frontally with the weapons I have at hand. I thought I might get a flank shot from the Sherman assault gun but I wasn't at a sufficient off-side position. 

Tony...needs a medic. Those 7.92mm rounds are a pain! 

Ive been considering using the Chaffee to run up the hill - and it may be the next thing I do, but with all the armour contacts up there I'm concerned it's a suicide run. 

Edited by Bud_B

OMG!!

From a meta-game standpoint, Ian has enough points in my view to buy another 3 serious tanks, like Panthers.

Or another SturmTiger....... GROAN

Looks like you'll be needing names for those behemoths....  I'll start the ball rolling shall I? Mickey and Minnie? :ph34r:

Edited by gnarly

Or another SturmTiger....... GROAN

Looks like you'll be needing names for those behemoths....  I'll start the ball rolling shall I? Mickey and Minnie? :ph34r:

Ugh, yeah, that was an unpleasant surprise... I was NOT expecting that:wacko: That is over 1/3 his total force points right there, folks...

Methinks more appropriately "Fritz und Frieda" or "Ulrich und Ursula"!

Hansel and Gretel?  B)

I name the one with the scarred nose Uwe, and the other is his girlfriend, Ute. ;)

Edited by Bud_B

I would say that with 2 of those beasts on the field that it means he has no other substantial armour, but with those 2 sturmtigers it might be irrelevant.  What a nasty surprise.  Awesome work can't wait for the next installment.

You may be right on both counts; he may not have more armour because he doesn't need more armour. But then he must have a whole fleet of halftracks; or I'd expect a lot more infantry or artillery present. 

Edited by Bud_B

I guess my speculation about two Sturmtigers back on Dec. 18th was not so wild after all. Now if I can apply such lucky guesses to lottery numbers...

I remember that comment :)

Though I believe it was in reference to reloading times and how to make it appear it's happening faster by doing a relay between two SturmTigers. Regardless, you were right. I won the lottery...the here-come-the-Germans lottery! :D

Stupendously wonderful news! Anyone can win a "balanced" battle. IanL has given your men a golden opportunity to prove their mettle. Allow them to die for you. They will thank you.

I suggest inciting the Sturmies to fire, then use the lull between shells to charge up at them. If you don't have a jeep, use the Chaffee and just dismount the crew next to the Sturmies. It will be glooooorious!  ;)