Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Bud_B,

Simply tremendous stuff, though I think your opponent would've benefited greatly from a smokescreen to shield his Panzer Grenadier attack. In continuing my Sturmtiger delvings I came across this terrific extensive photo series on the Sturmtiger in Munster, Germany. Unfortunately, there aren't even visual stand-ins for the rocket projectiles.

http://krimi.tripod.com/sturmtiger/sturmie.html

Also, Armored Victory 1945 by Kevin Duru has a considerable amount of material on the Sturmtiger which featured in the Catalog of Enemy Ordnance. Photo series begins on page 205.

http://tinyurl.com/jggmx2a

Additionally, in Zaloga's Osprey book Atlantic Wall (2), page 21, I've learned the Rheinmetall-Borsig R 300, the Sturmtiger's main weapon, was deployed as an anti midget sub weapon in both Norway and Denmark. It saw no action, and I so far have no ROF.

http://tinyurl.com/hkxvqad

Archive Awareness has very little on the Sturmtiger, chiefly an order for certain captured vehicles to be shipped forthwith to Kubinka. Happily, though, there's a link to a post a guy did which has a great color pic of the Kubinka Sturmtiger, a German B/W pic of one being shown off to the generals, two of the AFV at the capture site, one with officers on and near it and weapon at max elevation. Prime diorama material! Also, there is a digitally enhanced version of the only known Sturmtiger combat footage, shot during the Battle of Warsaw. Since the versions I saw weren't enhanced and were pretty grainy, it had been my impression the weapon was firing at ~45 degree elevation, but the enhanced version shows this to be direct fire.

http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/2702925.html

Brother Ed kindly provided this link to a considerable Sturmtiger thread set on Tiger in Focus. A grog fest of pics, unit assignments, hull numbers and disposition, plus my favorites--intel reports. In one, we learn that the 113th Cavalry "Red Horse" had been bombarded by mysterious rockets that that "burst with such frightful concussion." Indeed. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Bud_B,

Not one but two fresh panels! Truly, it pays to check in. I love how the trees keep screwing up gunnery. Interesting how the sounds for the 105 mm Sherman somehow glommed onto the tank, winding up like some sort of bizarre lettering. Looks as if both American tanks are fighting buttoned. But then, it is awfully cold. Where is the US armor in the overhead view? Very much look forward to more panels, but count myself fortunate to have dropped in and found goodies. Keep 'em coming!

Regards,

John Kettler

Bud, this is fabulous, and you are doing extraordinarily well in this fight, against Ian too!! I'm impressed.  Give him hell and kill those two bastards.

;) 

Bil, much appreciated! You inspired me to do this with your AAR graphics, so thank you indeed. 

If I win this, it will be my first victory against Ian. He's a tough customer. :o

Folks, John made a point about the map and I've updated the panel I last posted. It does not have all units on it (if you need that you can go back a few pages). What I'm trying to do here is limit the map to what is happening now, so that the action is easier to follow. 

John, 

A smoke screen would have been helpful for Ian, to be sure. But it's a lot of ground to cover and as long as he's on foot, it's gonna be tough for him to enter the village. 

@Bud_B, Will fatigue be an issue for them?  How have your own folks held up when moving through the snow?

Bud, between your artistry and CMFB's graphics, it's amazing how life-like so many of your panels look.

Thanks again for doing this. I'm an avid reader (and a fan)!

Macisle, that's really a delight to read. Thank you. 

Before i started this I was concerned how the snow might look as a comic, it might all just look too uniform and without shape, but it came out much better than I anticipated. The game really does a nice job of being immersive. 

@Bud_B, Will fatigue be an issue for them?  How have your own folks held up when moving through the snow?

My guys get tired pretty quickly. One can dash across a street without problem, but when the Lt. had a squad run about 100m, they went from Rested to Tired around 75m into the run. Mind you, that is at Quick, so not even at the fastest pace one can order men to move. 

This is why I was actually relieved to have the Germans start their assault. It limits where those big bastards can shoot, and if they ride down the ridge slope with halftracks they will be slaughtered by bazookas, and my two tanks. Which leaves one very unpleasant option: do it on foot. 

That nullifies all the advantages the Germans have held so far. 

Edited by Bud_B

Hah, love the ricochet noise "Dzooiiing" :wub:

However, in the spirit of nit-pickery, :P you seem to say that the MMG is damaged before the "lucky shot" hits it... :unsure:

Tut, tut, not so. You're seeing the shot that followed after, the one that chewed snow. :P

Edit: I've updated the panel in question for clarity. Thanks, Baneman! 

Edited by Bud_B

Looking forward to see what does that quad. 50 does to those grenadiers! 

me too, but...

Or what a quad .50 can do to a half track?

I'm letting them pick their own targets. The TacAI is pretty good at that, and it's best in most cases not to set a target that will lock a unit to a target they may spend a turn shooting at when better quarry is at hand.