Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Bud_B,

Was away from the house for hours and saw you had a new post up. Great was my excitement and equally swift my angst when I discovered my excitement was for naught. But the truth is we are singularly fortunate that you are not only playing the game but documenting it one the fly via your super time consuming, artistic and clever way. Well do I know this! Meanwhile, I tried to find a good vid on Vroom! Vroom!, but this was the best I could do. This is a full-on restoration which is unique in my experience and about which I feel deeply conflicted--for reasons you'll find impossible to miss. Also, there's a gaping hole in the coverage of key aspects of this tank. The official film on the Chaffee is available on YT, but the image quality makes "execrable" look good! I knew very little about the Chaffee, but I was surprised to see how big this light tank actually is. I say this from the perspective of someone who has peered into an M3 Stuart's driver's visor.

Also, some people seem to be laboring under the misconception that the M24 has the same 75 mm Gun M3 as the Sherman tank. This is incorrect, for the 75 mm Gun M6 on the Chaffee  is the ground mount of the much lighter gun found on the B-25H of the Pacific War.  Quote is from here.

"While its applications as a tank gun is acceptable, the air force requested for a heavy-hitting aircraft for anti-ship assaults by air. The solution was the use of a B-25G bomber with a 75 mm gun in the nose. The model first used was the anti-aircraft variant M4, but this was rejected. The gun was redesigned to be lighter as the T13E1 (later the M5) and was tried on the B-25G and H models. While the concept was interesting, the practicality of the armament was not efficient, it was hard to aim, made the plane much heavier, and has a low fire rate that allowed only four rounds fired per strafing runs. Thus, the B-25 crews usually removed the 75 mm gun for more machine guns or bombs and rockets.

The development of the T13E1 was not a waste however, as a light tank program undergoing development at the time required a light weight armament. The requirements of the project created a development to adapt the T13E1 gun onto the design, this gun design would be the M6, the main armament of the light tank M24 Chaffee"

Ballistic characteristics are practically identical. As far as the Germans are concerned, this thing is a 75 mm Sherman that's smaller, faster and harder to hit--but not as well protected (if you can call a Sherman well protected). Something tells me Vroom! Vroom! is about to make Telly Savalas's character in Battle of the Bulge proud! 

Restored Chaffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4fKhXAcHw

And just for  a little added pressure, the ending of the Bil/Baneman Battle means that the entire CM:FB forum audience is now hovering here, awaiting (with baited breath) the next panels in the Bud/Ian saga!! :P

Take your time Bud!  As long as they are here by lunch...   B) 

Well, you're in Oz, so this (below) may make an afternoon snack. Over here, it's raiding the icebox at midnight! :D

Edited by Bud_B

haha, epic pic with the Germans on the hill and lone unit awaiting them.

"2nd platoon's remaining mmg felt terribly exposed in that moment" - understatement of the year :D

Terrifying assault - very well depicted Bud.

Very nice text book assault with panze rgrenadiers supported by their halftracks :-)

When I first saw this I had a few thoughts:

1. Wow, that's all his remaining halftracks right there! 

2. If I can hold the farmstead 2 minutes I've won (that would leave 5 minutes in the game)

3. Must not forget the west side of the road and strip my defences too quickly to move east. This may be a trick.

4. By now he has two shots ready to fire from the SturmTigers. The new one hasn't fired yet and the older one has had almost 3 minutes, more than enough to reload.

5. My men have plenty of targets now, his infantry will be very vulnerable and tire quickly in the snow. 

Edited by Bud_B

Say anyone else notice something new to the game in the last picture? The fortification used by the machine gun team is semi-circular! Could we dare hope those "v" shaped defensive positions have evolved into something that gives better protection for a crew served weapon across their sector of fire.

Sorry if this is off topic, but it is a pet peeve of mine not to be able to get defensive positions the way I need them. Like snugged up against a house to allow a AT gun to poke around a corner.

Say anyone else notice something new to the game in the last picture? The fortification used by the machine gun team is semi-circular! Could we dare hope those "v" shaped defensive positions have evolved into something that gives better protection for a crew served weapon across their sector of fire.

Are you sure it not just due to the perspective of the shot?

I am not sure how many fortifications Bud has in place; is this one below that is triangular (7th Jan)  the same one?

IMG_1071.JPG

Edited by gnarly

This is one of the typical scenes you replay from different angles and just watch - one of the reasons I love this game for.

Seems like the battle is taking up steam now. Hurraaaa!

Youre quite right. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to pick what view to show in so many of my panels. 

Sorry if this is off topic, but it is a pet peeve of mine not to be able to get defensive positions the way I need them. Like snugged up against a house to allow a AT gun to poke around a corner.

Sorry, you're seeing it at an angle that is perhaps fooling your eye. They are still "V" shaped.

Are you sure it not just due to the perspective of the shot?

I am not sure how many fortifications Bud has in place; is this one below that is triangular (7th Jan)  the same one?

Lt. Lawrence had the boys set up several defensive structures, including those sandbagged positions as well as foxholes. They are not all occupied, but were there for future use if the men needed to displace.

So do we reckon that Ian actually got either Uwe or Ute bogged early in the game, and hence why we didn't see both SturmTigers till quite late?

Possibly even bogged in the setup zone (he has alluded to some hilarity elsewhere)?

I've not had a huge amount of experience with bogging, but what I have seen in play and testing is that bogging will result in immobilization in typically less than one minute, or resolve. I highly doubt that the delay was due to bogging. I suspect something now but I will have to check and tell you later.