Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I,ve just purchased the upgrade and downloaded, where does it go from there?? Clicked on activate modules, doesn,t seem to be an option for CMFI.

I extracted the files to CMFI, but not showing as upgraded when i open the game.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to put the upgrade files?? I assumed there would be a desktop icon created.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

35 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Question, Steve. My copy of FI/GL got buggered quite some time ago (we have previously discussed this. Would you advise simply dumping my existing install and starting fresh from the complete version in the bundle?

Michael

I'm not Steve (thankfully! ;) ), and the following is "use at your own risk": The complete version is a clean method of installing. If your previous install was a bit wonky, I'd suggest the complete version. (The upgrade is FAR smaller and faster to download. The complete version is large, but should fix any previous errors endemic to a particular install.)

First, (and I'm sure you know this, but I'll add it in for anyone else who's reading along) save your mods to a location outside of your BFC directory. Next, copy your savegames somewhere else, as well. This step with savegames is just being cautious. Then, uninstall. I'd recommend deleting the game folder, as well. This should leave a clean location with no remnants for your complete version.

Run the install. Remember, it will automatically point the install to the default location. If this is not where you like your BFC goodness to reside, this is your chance to change it.

Next, from INSIDE the newly installed game folder, find the "Activate New Products" link. Clickee. Use the method Steve discussed above (and in the sticky) to activate. (You still need to use the various Engine 3 and Engine 4 keys and whatnot.) Linkee... http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/28-instructions-for-upgrading-cmfi-to-engine-4/

Run the game. Good? Great. Exit.

Put your mods back where you like them and copy your savegames back where they belong.

It should all be good...

Edited by c3k

1 hour ago, c3k said:

Antivirus: I use Kaspersky. No issues with BFC. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

I am currently using Avast, also no issues. For a long time I didn't even have the game directories on the ignore list. I only added them because I was afraid it would just be a matter of time before it tripped me up.

Used Norton before and constantly had to white list game files and directories and retrieve files from quarantine.

Quick question:

Is the CMFI release identical (mutatis mutandis) to the level of code in the other engine 4 releases, or have further tweaks been made?

I ask because it seems that some infantry behavior issues were discovered right after the first engine 4 releases, and I wonder if any adjustments made it into CMFI.  Or is there a next round of patches coming?

6 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Question, Steve. My copy of FI/GL got buggered quite some time ago (we have previously discussed this. Would you advise simply dumping my existing install and starting fresh from the complete version in the bundle?

I'm not C3K (though since he didn't have the Flu all week, maybe I wish I were), but he got you on the right track.  Long ago we realized that the Upgrade thing posed challenges for people which got progressively worse as we added product to a game.  Too many installers and they had to be used in the right order.  Not good for anybody.  Which is why we now give everybody the option to use a "Full" installer.  The tradeoff is download size, which for most isn't a big deal.  Installing the Full installer over an existing installation or in place of one solves all installation related issues.

6 hours ago, chocice said:

I,ve just purchased the upgrade and downloaded, where does it go from there?? Clicked on activate modules, doesn,t seem to be an option for CMFI.

I extracted the files to CMFI, but not showing as upgraded when i open the game.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to put the upgrade files?? I assumed there would be a desktop icon created.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

If you're still stuck, see C3K's post above.  Download the installer (either Full or Update), unzip, run the installer, then license.  For licensing tips, check here:

http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/28-instructions-for-upgrading-cmfi-to-engine-4/

2 hours ago, Holman said:

Quick question:

Is the CMFI release identical (mutatis mutandis) to the level of code in the other engine 4 releases, or have further tweaks been made?

I ask because it seems that some infantry behavior issues were discovered right after the first engine 4 releases, and I wonder if any adjustments made it into CMFI.  Or is there a next round of patches coming?

We did not make any conscious changes to the underlying code, so I'm going to guess the answer to your infantry question is "no".  While for sure we will have a round of patches coming out to address misc. issues, there is no patch on the immediate horizon.  I'll check in with the testers but so far nothing burning has been identified.

Steve

I had to do some really inventive stuff to try and fix the inherent problems with the bundle license keys.  Unfortunately it left maybe 2 dozen keys unfixable.  Now, if 3 years ago I had known this was going to happen I could have set up a nice safety system for this unique problem.  Ah... hindsight... where are you when you really needed? :D

Steve

OK, downloaded the windows upgrade.  It says CMFI 2.0 Upgrade on the BFC download page, but assuming since its in the bundle page, its the 4.0 upgrade.  That and the fact that it never says CMFI 4.0 upgrade makes me wonder if I got the right one.

But the crux of the email is I am following the stickied install instructions and after install, I enter my 4,0 bundle serial number into the activation tool.  I get a narrow little box with an "x" in it and no response the activation was successful.  Is that right?  I want to confirm before I move on to the other activations.

I love these games, but am damned close to a point where the hassle just isn't wortth it.

btw, as an added bonus, the installer never creates a short cut to the activation tool.  I have to go find it in the Battlefront directory.  That happens with other CM games as well.

Edited by Thewood1

btw, Isn't the order of activations in the instructions backwards?  I thought you did the main game and then modules and upgrades.

edit: just tried a complete uninstall and reinstall with the new mega installer.  Same issue.  I can't even get the original CMFI to activate.

Edited by Thewood1

Temporary and solvable, but the hour wasted now is an hour I won't get back.  I have limited gaming time and get a little teed off when I spend a few hours of it screwqing around with activations...again.

Obviously you have to activate everything.  But nothing is activating.  I have submitted a ticket.  At this point, I never know how many of the activations I have left.  I thought at one point we were going to get something where we could check how many we have.  Did that go away when the activation/year went away?

Edited by Thewood1