Jump to content

Any news about CMFI 4.0 release


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Thank you. Yes, I've missed that post apparently. Steve said that CMRT might make it into 2017, or the beginning of 2018. I would like to see some more details, especially about CMRT, like will the Waffen SS be included and so on. CMSF is welcome and deserves more attention. CMBS Battle Pack, hopefully including some interesting NATO armies. Second Module for CMFI, very nice but not thrilled. But CMRT is my cup of tea and I hope it will be a BIG expansion on what we have now. Good news is that there is still a lot of time to work on it. Bad news, well, I guess we've learned that patience is a virtue by now and waiting will be rewarded.

A CMBS Battle Pack would be like CMBN's "The Great Swan," wouldn't it? I assume it would have more scenarios and campaigns, but no new formations, equipment, or nationalities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of news here.   Mord.

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Wolfseven said:

ok got it to work now 
I get this error? :blink:

so it would appears that the CMFI: Gustav Line   product no longer works?  <Snip> 

During the process when you were entering all the license keys, did you enter the one for Gustav Line?  I had to enter four separate keys when I did mine (including the one for Gustav Line).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

ok got it to work now 
I get this error? :blink:

so it would appears that the CMFI: Gustav Line   product no longer works?

By default, yes.  All previous CMFI stuff has to be relicensed by using Activate New Products link.  Here's some tech tips:

http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/28-instructions-for-upgrading-cmfi-to-engine-4/

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

During the process when you were entering all the license keys, did you enter the one for Gustav Line?  I had to enter four separate keys when I did mine (including the one for Gustav Line).  

Yeah, I also had to re-license four separate product keys (Base, Gustav, 3.0, & 4.0 Upgrade) in order to get CMFI v4 up and running :-)

Joe

Edited by JoMc67
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a maximum of 4 keys to get all CMFI content up and running.  Those with a Gustav Bundle have 3 keys, those without Gustav Line also have 3 keys. 

Oh, and to once again clarify version numbers.  the ENGINE number is separate from the game VERSION number.  All games are currently using ENGINE 4, but the version number is different.  For CMBN it is v4.00 and for all others it is v2.00.  It's not more difficult than that, so there you go :D

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

For CMBN it is v4.00 and for all others it is v2.00.  It's not more difficult than that, so there you go :D

Steve

Please use a common numbering scheme in the future.  It makes it more of a pain in the posterior than it needs to be.  I have V3 file in my CMFI downloads but the new one was V2.  I had to check a couple times to make sure it was the correct one.  I no longer even remember if V3 actually applied to CMFI or was for a different game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dynaman216 said:

Please use a common numbering scheme in the future.  

Not possible in the way you wish it to be.  The Game Engine version will continue to be it's own thing, a particular EXE will have it's own Game Version number.  For example, CMRT v1.xx was (obviously) the very first version of CMRT that was released.  It would not have made sense for the very first CMRT to be called v3.xx, would it?

Both the Game Engine and the Game Version are shown when you launch the game to make clear what it is you're using.

Quote

It makes it more of a pain in the posterior than it needs to be.  I have V3 file in my CMFI downloads but the new one was V2.

Incorrect.  You are confusing Game Engine with Game Version.  What you already have is Game Engine 3 (Upgrade 3), what you just bought is Game Engine 4 (Upgrade 4).  Your previous Game Version of CMFI was v1.20 (Game Engine 3) and the current Game Version is v2.00 (Game Engine 4).

Again, do not confuse Game Engine with Game Version.  They are two entirely different concepts and they must remain that way.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Again, do not confuse Game Engine with Game Version.

This seems to be what a lot of people who post on this forum do. Some also won't give up the habit of calling any downloadable content a patch even though the differences between patches and upgrades have been explained several times. Steve, I think BFC is colliding with a quirk of human mentality. As a result of lazy imprecision, many players send themselves down the wrong path again and again. I guess for some people lazy imprecision is a way of life they are not prepared to abandon.

I can't say what BFC might do to change its nomenclature in the future of CMx3 so that this whole area can be avoided. Only you can judge what is possible and whether it is worth the effort. Good luck.

:)

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

By default, yes.  All previous CMFI stuff has to be relicensed by using Activate New Products link.  Here's some tech tips:

http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/28-instructions-for-upgrading-cmfi-to-engine-4/

Steve

activation for Gustav worked but still getting that same error, is it a case to have to reinstall this?

Edited by Wolfseven
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

This seems to be what a lot of people who post on this forum do. Some also won't give up the habit of calling any downloadable content a patch even though the differences between patches and upgrades have been explained several times. Steve, I think BFC is colliding with a quirk of human mentality. As a result of lazy imprecision, many players send themselves down the wrong path again and again. I guess for some people lazy imprecision is a way of life they are not prepared to abandon.

I can't say what BFC might do to change its nomenclature in the future of CMx3 so that this whole area can be avoided. Only you can judge what is possible and whether it is worth the effort. Good luck.

:)

Michael

so your saying players are to dumb to play a game, that should have been playable out of the box, instead of needing a doctorates to figure out the differences?

your insulting people's intelligence and confusing them, when you say engine and patch and upgrade....should be where putting out a "Game engine upgrade" 

ok we're putting out a patch; first if this is the reason, then it should say it in the game banner, i.e. Engine v4.00 patch v1.3. 

it maybe clear to the coders and developers, but as my old college professor once stated "for the masses you need to think on a freshman level, because nobody remembers anything from their senior years"...

Edited by Wolfseven
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wolfseven said:

so your saying players are to dumb to play a game, that should have been playable out of the box, instead of needing a doctorates to figure out the differences?

your insulting people's intelligence and confusing them, when you say engine and patch and upgrade....should be where putting out a "Game engine upgrade" 

ok we're putting out a patch; first if this is the reason, then it should say it in the game banner, i.e. Engine v4.00 patch v1.3. 

it maybe clear to the coders and developers, but as my old college professor once stated "for the masses you need to think on a freshman level, because nobody remembers anything from their senior years"...

Simmer down and don't be so hypersensitive to imagined insults. I haven't insulted anyone, but have tried to shed some light on a real problem. Yes, the BFC nomenclature is complicated and differs from what other gaming companies and the gaming pastime in general use, requiring a mental adjustment on the players' part. Any claim that this should be beyond the mental capacity of the average player is what is insulting. I am 73 years old and don't have nearly the mental capacity I had 40-50 years ago, but I made the transition without breaking into a sweat. That much younger men are simply unwilling to exert themselves at all is disgraceful. Whether BFC chooses to accommodate those players is, as I said in my earlier post, up to them to decide.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said elsewhere, for people with 25k posts who spend a lot of time engaging in these forums, BFC's nomenclature seems second nature  But for people who rarely engage in the forum, it can be and is generally confusing.  The announcement says CMFI 4.0 upgrade is available.  The download site calls it CMFI 2.0 upgrade.  You don't think that is confusing?  Yes, with a little searching and some deductive reasoning, someone can figure it out.  But should you need to do that?

Its not the age of the gamer that makes the difference here, its how engaged they have been over the last couple of years.  The information needed to quickly figure it out is scattered over multiple posts, news blogs, etc.  And its different with different games.  CMBN is 4.0 engine and game.  CMFI is 2.0 and 4.0.  So if you have been mostly working with CMBN, its not a poor assumption that the two games would use similar numbering systems.

This is a pretty common IT problem.  Developers, beta testers, and super users tend to lose sight of what the experience of a brand new user is like.  This is why, what seems to them, a simple upgrade process generates dozens of posts confused about the process.  Its why install testing needs fresh faces and that is what larger companies do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So lets look at even the changed download page.  CMFI full install 2.0 compared to CMFI Upgrade 4.0.  Looking at that with little history, it looks like, if you are doing a full install, you need the 5 Gb file to get to 2.0 and then the Ugrade to 4.0 to get to a completely up to date install.  Those who have been on the forum and reading all the posts kow that 4.0 upgrade is embeded in the 2.0 full installer.  Just looking at that scree capture makes the point of why someone might be confused.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"...many players send themselves down the wrong path again and again. I guess for some people lazy imprecision is a way of life they are not prepared to abandon."

I agree that is a ridiculous way to run a business.  When "many" people still struggle with something, there is a problem.  Why do grogs and techies all like to have contempt for people not as capable or as knowledgeable as they are?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh. It is a no win situation. Earlier when they just had a single version number and different people were confused by different things. And we had posts just like these.

Now they separated the version numbers to clear things up and people are confused about the way it is now.

Sorry to those confused, really I am. But I hope they don't change things again and just stuck with this. That is what I will advocate for behind the scenes and hope they don't change things again.

The current versioning system is explainable and consistent. Changing again will break the consistent part I honestly I doubt it will make the explainable part any better. There will just be other people confused about something else.

Version numbering is one of those things where there is always someone with a better idea. However if there is already an explainable and consistent system in place, don't spend time chacing the mythical perfect system because it will not actually make things better and therefore your efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably what we're seeing is the start of burn-out re the complex way that BF conceived of the CM2 "family" series.  And it will only get worse as more titles are released. 

I know BF is a small company with few resources etc.  But, the ideal should be to have all the games "fit together" so that one ends up with a CM1-like experience with all titles from 1940 thru 45 on each front in one package without the massive duplication over all the game families - and one would only need to update/upgrade/patch once for the whole shebang.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 14/04/2017 at 6:24 AM, Wolfseven said:

ok got it to work now 
I get this error? :blink:

so it would appears that the CMFI: Gustav Line   product no longer works?

 

 

 

 

I had that error when I upgraded CMBN and CMRT. I went to the help desk - the response was prompt and it was easily solved. They gave me a little patch that worked for one, and there was a little bit of twiddling around for the other. Combat Mission is a boutique product and these things happen (have you ever worked in software?) but their support is excellent.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had bought the big bundle and not remembering that the download link sends you to a page with like a dozen files to pick from, then i got the one for CMFI after having gotten CMFB, CMBN and CMRT many weeks ago:D. SO I install and had to copy 3 keys in different orders, I think I had to make 4 attempts. To further frustrate myself I copied and pasted one of the keys from an old email that had my keys for CMBN and CMFI and wouldn't you know I copied the CMBN one instead of CMFI. :Lucky for me I realized the mistake and did it again with the right key so alls well thats ends well. Boy oh boy this game gets more complexicated with every new addition. But I understand its necessary to protect.I will continue to buy new modules and game engines for as long as I can still figure out how to install them.

Edited by J Bennett
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freyberg said:

 

 

I had that error when I upgraded CMBN and CMRT. I went to the help desk - the response was prompt and it was easily solved. They gave me a little patch that worked for one, and there was a little bit of twiddling around for the other. Combat Mission is a boutique product and these things happen (have you ever worked in software?) but their support is excellent.
 

still doesnt work. after all the keys..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...