Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2017 at 7:13 AM, Battlefront.com said:

snip.......OK, now onto the most obvious question... when will all this be complete?  Good question ;)  I'm hoping it won't take too much longer because it's already taken 4 weeks longer than expected.  And I do not want to do any more all night until 5 in the morning marathon fix sessions...... snip

Hi Steve, any news?

2 hours ago, Placebo said:

Is today the day???

Don't they usually start a 'showcase' AAR a month or two before a major release? Or have there been exceptions to that?

I would love to get this CMFI module in my hands, since Fortress Italy is still my favorite ww2 title. But for some reason I'm just feeling like it's still going to be awhile before we see this one. Not sure if I'm alone in that sentiment or not. Fingers crossed, though, that it'll be out soon.

Sometimes they do an AAR but not always, and the fact that they planned to launch it early Jan makes me think the first we will know about this is it is going on sale.  Anyway fingers crossed still a few working hours left of working time in the US. 

1 hour ago, Placebo said:

Sometimes they do an AAR but not always, and the fact that they planned to launch it early Jan makes me think the first we will know about this is it is going on sale.  Anyway fingers crossed still a few working hours left of working time in the US. 

That's good to hear. So yes, fingers crossed indeed!

I'm not allowed to say anything but I can ask questions. That's OK right?

When have BFC ever released a new game or module with out a beta AAR being shared before hand?

Second read the OP and Steve's post earlier in this thread to make sure your expectations are in line with what is likely to be coming out. Just so you are not disappointed.

Oh wait that was only one question...

15 minutes ago, IanL said:

When have BFC ever released a new game or module with out a beta AAR being shared before hand?

Second read the OP and Steve's post earlier in this thread to make sure your expectations are in line with what is likely to be coming out. Just so you are not disappointed.

Wasn't FI itself released without any "warning" or AAR? I seem to remember it so - or has my brain gotten all old and foggy:blink:

It's not a new game or module is it? Aren't we just waiting for the 4.0 upgrade.

Incidentally, I'm as impatient as anyone for the CMGL upgrade - I love this version of the game - but in the meantime, I've been enjoying CMBN/MG as if it's a new game. The 4.0 upgrade has brought it totally back to life - I'm loving it.

8 hours ago, Freyberg said:

It's not a new game or module is it? Aren't we just waiting for the 4.0 upgrade.

Precisely. It is the v4 upgrade that was promised for *maybe* January. Nothing was said about a new module other than sometime down the line. I assume—perhaps mistakenly—that work is still being done on a new module and that we might see it before the end of the year, but I would be surprised to see it before summer. On the other hand, that's the kind of surprise I love.

;)

Michael

21 hours ago, IanL said:

My expectations where in line with the game being released mid-january so I'm already disappointed. :D

JK, but I hope it won't be much longer.

2 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I think the speculation is mostly based on the fact that v4 came out for everything else and it might be natural to bundle it with a new module. <Snip> 

There was talk in the last Christmas bone (2015) that BFC was working on plans to take CMFI to the end of the war.  That talk was awhile ago.  That may be why there is speculation/anticipation about just not CMFI 4.0 but something more. 

6. The next Fortress Italy module is in the early stages of development, at this point primarily artwork by our 3D artist Cassio.

• This new module will push the timeline for the Italian front all the way from June 1944 to the end of the war in May 1945.
  • The main operations covered will be the race north following the capture of Rome, the fighting on the Gothic Line, and the Po Valley offensives in 1945.
  • The following services will be added: British Indian Army, South Africa, French Expeditionary Corps (including Moroccan Goumiers), and Waffen-SS. Of course, existing services will be filled out with all of the new formations that have been created for other Combat Mission titles since the last Fortress Italy module released: Gebirgsjäger units, Luftwaffe Field Divisions, flamethrower units, etc. All currently existing formations will be updated to 1945 TO&E. Also: US Mountain units. :)
  • 3D work has already been done on the following equipment for the module: Sherman III Kangaroo, Churchill NA75, Sherman IC Firefly Hybrid, StuG IV, M1917 Enfield rifle, M1935 and M1982 French pistols, FN/29 French LMG, Gewehr 33/40(t) rifle, T32 37mm AT gun, and the GebG 36 75mm mountain gun. These are just the start of the work on new equipment.
  • The module will also incorporate all of the work done on the Combat Mission engine to date since since Gustav Line launched... that's a LOT of stuff to add to Italy. Off the top of my head, that includes features, units, and equipment from: Engine v3.0, Red Thunder, CMBN Vehicle Pack, CMBN Market Garden, and Final Blitzkrieg.

Fun PRE-ALPHA image of a new soldier for the Fortress Italy module:

LDtINoD.jpg

Sorry for the continued delay on CMFI!  We're taking the time to make some pretty fundamental improvements as well as "porting" old TO&E over to the new system.  It's really the best time to do it since v2.00 (Engine 4) gives everybody a nice, clean reference point.  If we did it with, say, v2.01 it would be a tad bit confusing over time.

Some of the things you guys will get in exchange for your patience:

1.  Full integration of backpack flamethrowers (not present at all in CMFI)

2.  Better integration of AAA guns (something added mostly for Market Garden)

3.  TO&E more tailored to CMFI than even the original excellent work

4.  Improvements resulting from new TO&E coding and conventions for things like dismounted troops

5.  Fixes to all kinds of stuff based on better source materials that have come available in the previous bunch of years

These changes are the sort of thing people might not notice in detail, if at all, but will give CMFI a feeling of being part of a cohesive game series instead of kinda sorta being a little different due to being older.

We're nearly there :D

Steve

17 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sorry for the continued delay on CMFI!  We're taking the time to make some pretty fundamental improvements as well as "porting" old TO&E over to the new system.  It's really the best time to do it since v2.00 (Engine 4) gives everybody a nice, clean reference point.  If we did it with, say, v2.01 it would be a tad bit confusing over time.

4.  Improvements resulting from new TO&E coding and conventions for things like dismounted troops

5.  Fixes to all kinds of stuff based on better source materials that have come available in the previous bunch of years

These changes are the sort of thing people might not notice in detail, if at all, but will give CMFI a feeling of being part of a cohesive game series instead of kinda sorta being a little different due to being older.

Steve

Nice to hear Steve, looking forward to buy CMFI 

14 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Thanks!  CMFI always did have that ugly stepsister vibe, nice to know it is being made a full member of the family now.