Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

10 hours ago, AstroCat said:

So who the heck is left at BF? I would have hoped for an expanding staff or pool of talent not a shrinking one... I have zero info other than reading that thread... who knows what really goes on "behind the scenes" at Battlefront.

Now, Now...Be Nice and Patient :-)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/25/2017 at 5:17 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Just one question to Steve. Would it be realistic to expect the module for CMRT this year?

Hopefully!  Though it is currently planned for the end of the year so it's uncertain.  But if it misses 2017 it won't be by much.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:25 PM, Thewood1 said:

Out of curiosity more than anything else, does this have anything to do with the delay?

Nope, not even a little bit.  Upgrade 4 stuff started after Phil left and the code was obviously completed back in December since we released 4 out of 5 Engines.  As I've said here and elsewhere, it was all tedious TO&E work that's held up CMFI.  It had it, none of the others did.  Phil never had anything to do with TO&E and Charles simply compiles what I give him, which takes a few minutes of his time. 

The process of slogging through a few hundred thousand bits of data potentially being changed incorrectly simply takes a long time to work through since there's no automated process that can catch stuff like "oh, the 1944b version of Hampstertruppen Panzergrenadiervolksbuggers should have 2 MP-40s most of the time instead of only some of the time".  As Dr. Ben Sobel would say, "it's a process" :D

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19156.0

Haven't seen Phil post in awhile.

That thread has been updated since you posted it here.  Suffice to say there was a bit of speculation in that thread that has very little to do with reality.  Someone from the press corps hounded me for details and I relented!

On 3/25/2017 at 6:31 PM, AstroCat said:

So who the heck is left at BF? I would have hoped for an expanding staff or pool of talent not a shrinking one... I have zero info other than reading that thread... who knows what really goes on "behind the scenes" at Battlefront.

I know what really goes on behind the scenes at Battlefront :D  See above link for some answers I gave in relation to inquiries.

Remember that Battlefront started out as 2 people.  Anything more than that is more than we started with, and we did pretty well with only 2 people :D  Our needs go up and down over time, so our staffing must as well.  In some ways we have more staff now than ever before, but we do find working with contractors is a better fit for where we are right now.

Steve

29 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

...Remember that Battlefront started out as 2 people.  Anything more than that is more than we started with, and we did pretty well with only 2 people :D  Our needs go up and down over time, so our staffing must as well.  In some ways we have more staff now than ever before, but we do find working with contractors is a better fit for where we are right now.

Steve

In other words, Steve and Charles are kinda' like the Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy of wargaming, except that each "album" is better than the last and the future is bright as far as the eyes can see. :D

46 minutes ago, Macisle said:

In other words, Steve and Charles are kinda' like the Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy of wargaming, except that each "album" is better than the last and the future is bright as far as the eyes can see. :D

And nothing else matters. :)

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Hopefully!  Though it is currently planned for the end of the year so it's uncertain.  But if it misses 2017 it won't be by much.

Steve

Good to hear. Thank you. Complicated games likes CM take huge amounts of work, far beyond our imagination. Take your time, there's plenty to play with in the meantime.

13 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

<snipped>

As I've said here and elsewhere, it was all tedious TO&E work that's held up CMFI.  It had it, none of the others did.  Phil never had anything to do with TO&E and Charles simply compiles what I give him, which takes a few minutes of his time. 

The process of slogging through a few hundred thousand bits of data potentially being changed incorrectly simply takes a long time to work through since there's no automated process that can catch stuff like "oh, the 1944b version of Hampstertruppen Panzergrenadiervolksbuggers should have 2 MP-40s most of the time instead of only some of the time".  As Dr. Ben Sobel would say, "it's a process" :D

<snipped>

Steve

Is it possible to provide Player Aid squad/platoon TO&E's for the forces in CMFI as well as CMBN, CMRT, and CMFB?  PDF's on the website perhaps?

I ask because QB's don't provide that level of detailed information per se, nor is it available in the game manuals.  It's one thing to know that specific units are available but a very different thing to know how they might be equipped for specific time frames.  I would really like this kind of Player Aid and might even be coerced to volunteer for its development.  :ph34r:

Thanks for your efforts.

Edited by Badger73

16 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I know what really goes on behind the scenes at Battlefront :D  See above link for some answers I gave in relation to inquiries.

" For 2017 the big effort is a full revitalization of the entire CM Shock Force Family to current game engine standards.  "

I have already loaded my money cannon.

3 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Is it possible to provide Player Aid squad/platoon TO&E's for the forces in CMFI as well as CMBN, CMRT, and CMFB?  PDF's on the website perhaps?

The system isn't designed to produce that sort of information on my end.  Charles would have to code something  to have the game spit out assembled TO&E in a useable format and I don't think that's the best use of time at present.  However, in the future we do intend on making something like this within the game.  What we've long called a UnitPedia.  Easier access to information for purchasing decisions is definitely on our radar.

Steve

19 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Nope, not even a little bit.  Upgrade 4 stuff started after Phil left and the code was obviously completed back in December since we released 4 out of 5 Engines.  As I've said here and elsewhere, it was all tedious TO&E work that's held up CMFI.  It had it, none of the others did.  Phil never had anything to do with TO&E and Charles simply compiles what I give him, which takes a few minutes of his time. 

That thread has been updated since you posted it here.  Suffice to say there was a bit of speculation in that thread that has very little to do with reality.  Someone from the press corps hounded me for details and I relented!

Remember that Battlefront started out as 2 people.  Anything more than that is more than we started with, and we did pretty well with only 2 people :D  Our needs go up and down over time, so our staffing must as well.  In some ways we have more staff now than ever before, but we do find working with contractors is a better fit for where we are right now.

Steve

Hope you guys keep going. As I keep saying this is one of the best and most unique simulations out there and I'd that to see it go the way of Harpoon...

@Battlefront.com (Steve),

Will the 4.0 upgrade come with a Master Installer for CMFI?

I discovered that I have the Half-track bug and need to figure out how to uninstall & re-install patches & 3.0 upgrade in correct order.  I would so much appreciate the One Ring to rule them All if it doesn't involve moral corruption . .   B)

3 hours ago, Badger73 said:

I discovered that I have the Half-track bug and need to figure out how to uninstall & re-install patches & 3.0 upgrade in correct order.  I would so much appreciate the One Ring to rule them All if it doesn't involve moral corruption . .

Same here. I managed to terminally screw something up when I tried to install the v3 upgrade a couple of years ago and haven't been able to play FI since. So I would like to make a clean start as painlessly as possible.

Michael

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

You mean resurrected as the improved CMNAO? :-)

My other favorite. And besides being a very well done and detailed simulation also includes a very active user community with a huge amount of knowledge and really responsive developers. Just like here, it makes a good thing better. Harpoon is gone, but with C:MANO, I don't even miss it.

18 hours ago, Ultradave said:

My other favorite. And besides being a very well done and detailed simulation also includes a very active user community with a huge amount of knowledge and really responsive developers. Just like here, it makes a good thing better. Harpoon is gone, but with C:MANO, I don't even miss it.

13 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

CMNAO is an amazing game.  And the pace of updates is incredible.  They have won a couple defense industry deals recently also.

See Erwin, what did I tell you?...  :)

CMANO is Harpoon on steroids, it's awesome.

8 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

See Erwin, what did I tell you?...  :)

CMANO is Harpoon on steroids, it's awesome.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the game!  I enjoyed Harpoon for a while, but the abstract graphics eventually made every mission seem more or less the same.  I prefer WITPAE cos it features pretty little pics of the ships and aircraft.  (I respond to visuals, pretty graphics, crayon coloring books etc.) 

However, CMANO may be a good mission generator for a flight sim.