Upgrades Q&A

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go...

"Unfortunately, we can not offer Upgrades for CMx1 games, CM Shock Force and Afghanistan. Too much has changed with the basic code, artwork, and file formats to make this practical since their releases to make backwards compatibility viable."

-Moon

Shock Force 2 is a totally new game, so there's no discounts for Shock Force 1 customers. In fact, we aren't totally convinced we are going to call the next modern game "Shock Force 2". That's just what we're calling it for now, just like the other Eastern Front games are numbered EF1 (maybe called Bagration, not sure yet), EF2, EF3, and EF4.

Steve

The urban legend is BFC didn't actually want to name Shock Force 'Shock Force' but someone else held copyright to the title they had originally wanted. Yeh, that's right, it was nearly named "CM:Bridges of Madison County". ;)

I thought it was Aleppo Hills 90210?

"Amazing truly amazing"? In capitals?

Some people are easy to amaze, it seems.

It's good, and a logical thing to do. "Amazing" it is not, unless you're accustomed to BFC not doing good and logical things, and you're amazed that now they are? ;)

GaJ

Capitals and bold. Yeah I'd say and it isn't about being easy. When's the last time you saw anyone deliver this big? Hell a day ago we were whining about how soon we'd get the patch (and why isn't BFC talking to us) and BFC announces version 2, upgrades, a crapload of features we have been asking for and some we hadn't thought of including new editor tools, an upgraded UI,a new Game family to be released in 2 months another 2 game families in the next year and a bunch of modules. I wouldn't say that was being easily amazed. That's like being told your friend wants to fire off some bottle rockets and you step outside to a shuttle launch (and oh by the way here is your ticket, you get to drive) as a star goes NOVA.

GaJ you seem kind of....Jaded LOL :D

This is great news and super cool. I hope that you'll eventually follow it through to its logical conclusion and let us share units and maps between Normandy, Italy, EF, and that will be the absolute coolest!

This was a nice surprise indeed :)

I just preordered two copies, one for myself and one for my brother.

Also looking forward to CMBN v2.0 upgrade later this year.

- Pausable RealTime option. A player can request a Pause and, if the other player agrees, the game is Paused until both players request an end to it. Pauses can be "Playable" (Commands can be issued/modified), "Viewable" (navigation is allowed, but no Commands issued/modified), or "Locked" (no navigation, no Commands issued/modified). The different pause types reflect the different reasons for requesting a pause.

That feature alone will be worth every $$ for the upgrade.

Thanks battlefront, for a while I thought you had gone 100% iPad :P

Damn, GAJ, the only thing they left out of yesterday's info dump was an anal probe and a cigarette! I am amazed you aren't amazed! June 22, 2012 was the single biggest announcement day in the history of this forum (and probably any wargame forum)! And on top of all the awesomely awesome news, we get told that our older titles will no longer be subject to feature envy! Not just CMBN but every one from here on out?! THAT'S revolutionary!

C'mon bro, be amazed! It's fun!

Mord.

The upgrade is great. But I was very disappointed that Market Garden will not be next. But it will be after Fortress Sicily comes out in August. That's good news. (Or will it? At this rate BFC could surprise us with something else.)

But then again I guess the upgrade could only have been done with another family of games and not CMBN.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

My country for Market Garden! :)

As far as purchasing the upgrade packs themselves - any chance that once purchased you will be able to re-download at future dates - when you get a new pc for example? Like STEAM? If not I guess dedicating a flash drive or cloud space to the purchased upgrades would be the way to go...

Also... While I have your eyes...

ANY chance at all for a NATO v. Pact game - Reforger, Fulda Gap '85, that type of thing? Seems to me this engine would be fantastic for stuff like that.

I am prepared to say "please"...

Jumping back to the present game, it seems like you could implement medics very easily at this point. I know that in previous games it was not technologically possible. Any plans? It would be nice to continue on with the mission and have a medic care for wounded as opposed to having to wait for buddy aid to finish before moving out again....

As far as purchasing the upgrade packs themselves - any chance that once purchased you will be able to re-download at future dates - when you get a new pc for example? Like STEAM? If not I guess dedicating a flash drive or cloud space to the purchased upgrades would be the way to go...

Keeping a local copy is the only way to go... otherwise you will end up buying again after your download has expired (365 days?).

... If you purchase an Upgrade 2.0 for Normandy you won't suddenly have access to Eastern Front units or terrain from Italy or whatever. The Families remain distinct and separated. However...

But... will be any posibility that I could import independet units (family specifics) as add-ons (you sell i pay) to another family... or something similar (i do not mean ww2 to modern, but some italian things would be nice in NW Europe or East Front or back and forward ... p.e.- germans are well knon for their variety on transpots... and i´d like to have the CMFI german trucks, pz III, renaults in CMBN and viceversa.

NOTE i'd said independent units

With the new models that will be added to the Italian Theatre family of games, it probably increases the likelihood that those models which are created for CMFI but also should be present in CMBN might turn up in the 4th module.

But probably only those that were in NW Europe in the period covered by CMBN.

Michael

The upgrade is great. But I was very disappointed that Market Garden will not be next. But it will be after Fortress Sicily comes out in August. That's good news. (Or will it? At this rate BFC could surprise us with something else.)

But then again I guess the upgrade could only have been done with another family of games and not CMBN.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

My country for Market Garden! :)

Yea, but at least Market Garden will have all of these new upgrades.

Hey, Steve or Moon, will this mean that blowing bridges will be implemented in CMx2 v2.0?

. . .

A few months after the new game releases, owners of previous Combat Mission games can purchase Upgrades to add those features to CM products they already own. The delayed availability is necessary to ensure that our small team has enough time to ensure quality control (especially backwards compatibility) before releasing them.

. . .

The next module in the CM:BN family (more about this in the coming days) will already be featuring CMx2 v2.0, and will *require* that upgrade.

Questions?

Moon, just to clarify, if a customer owns a pevious CM game (i.e. CM:BN) and also purchases the stand-alone new game version (CM:FI), with the latest and greatest CM version, will they still need to seperately purchase the prior game (CM:BN) upgrade if they want the new features for their old CM game, or is that included along with the new game purchase?

Glad to hear of all the items in the pipe line. Does an early-war ('41-'42) East Front CM game also lie in BFC's future? Personally that's the portion of the East Front I'm much more interested in, although it certainly makes sense for BFC to try to first maximize its use of the late war units and art which it's already put the work into developing.

You'll need to purchase the upgrade for each title.

I can answer number two as well. They are doing 4 East Front titles. One for each year of the war...plus appropriate modules. If you judge by CMSF's content and CMBN projected content that will be 4 titles and 12 modules.

Mord.

If you were a big company like EA i would spit fire and brimstone and demand that you upgrade your products we have to buy. But for a small studio with limited playerbase i take it as a viable alternative to keep your bussines going. And i have to say that these are all great features that you throw at us. Hope you choose a reasonable price (words from poor country dweller). Congrats.

As for the TCP/IP pausing. Can we set a interval for an automatic pause? Like pause every 60 seconds?