Upgrades Q&A

Quick answers:

Base Game and us making the Upgrades for the other games right after when everything is settled down.

Steve

So do you always plan to upgrade an existing game mid life?

Do I expect to get a base game and one module and then upgrade to get the other modules? If that was the case it seems like the best thing to do was wait for an upgrade before purchasing the base game. Well if you could wait.

SO, I have no interest in Italy, can I expect a Version 2 CMBN before the end of the year?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@GSX it sounds like the upgrades will come out as new titles are released. How they will stagger them is a good question. If Italy stays on track and is released in August that will give them 4 months to get CMBN patched and upgraded to 2.0. With luck we should see CMBN sporting the new features before 2013. I doubt MG will make it before then, though.

Steve, of course can answer better than me.

Mord.

@GSX it sounds like the upgrades will come out as new titles are released. How they will stagger them is a good question. If Italy stays on track and is released in August that will give them 4 months to get CMBN patched and upgraded to 2.0. With luck we should see CMBN sporting the new features before 2013. I doubt MG will make it before then, though.

Steve, of course can answer better than me.

Mord.

Steve would be the guy, but I highly doubt they are waiting on CMFI to prepare CMBN/MG. Part of the announcement was reflecting them having multiple concurrent projects. I am very much hopeful on version 2 and MG this year. Maybe late in the year, but still this year. (oh please oh please) Think about it. They released CMCW while also apparently prepping for CMFI. That is an amazingly good sign of what they are now capable of.

Regarding upgrades and games mid life. To some extent that is unavoidable. As an example.

Assuming we get CMSF2 and Bagration next year. Then they start preparing to release the Bulge game and develop a bunch of new stuff so bulge comes out as Version 3. You can now expect a mid life upgrade for CMFI, CMSF2 and Bagration and a late life upgrade for CMBN. Now the way BF has presented this is they would release upgrades probably discounted packaged with modules so the Upgrades for CMFI, CMSF2, Bagration and CMBN may all come out at different times in different forms. For CMBN it may be a straight out upgrade with no additonal content. The others may have to wait so you get a discounted upgrade and new content with additional modules.

To be honest I expect we may get overloaded with material and we will likely complain about that. What an awful thing to have happen - too much Combat Mission - is that even possible?

So do you always plan to upgrade an existing game mid life?

The CM chat boards are often half filled with suggestions, demands, requests, complaints, bug reports, and bright ideas. BFC has been paying attention. You can't fault BFC for doing what you ask them to do.

Steve would be the guy, but I highly doubt they are waiting on CMFI to prepare CMBN/MG. Part of the announcement was reflecting them having multiple concurrent projects. I am very much hopeful on version 2 and MG this year. Maybe late in the year, but still this year. (oh please oh please) Think about it. They released CMCW while also apparently prepping for CMFI. That is an amazingly good sign of what they are now capable of.

LOL well, I sure wouldn't be against it! But I was going by what he said as far as their release schedule. Steve/Moon basically stated they'd start working on the upgrade a few weeks after CMFI hit. 'Cause remember we always have that back and forth right after a release; questions, explanations, complaints, explanations, jubilation, explanations LOL you know the drill. So, I was playing it cautious. And yeah, good point about the concurrent development. For the record I WANT you to be right! Either way, it's gonna be a great winter to game.

The CM chat boards are often half filled with suggestions, demands, requests, complaints, bug reports, and bright ideas. BFC has been paying attention. You can't fault BFC for doing what you ask them to do.

Thank Ares/Mars! They can bury me in titles, modules, packs and updates. If I had a debit card with some actual money on it, I'd just throw it at them and say, have at it.

Mord.

I'm not faulting anyone, I actually like the idea of being able to keep my games current and as I don't plan to buy the Italy game I will save my pennies for a CMBN upgrade.

I just want to understand the new approach and try to keep gaming with my regular opponents. And not al of my opponents will get exactly the same games, modules and packages and so it will be tricky working out what to play.

Not insurmountable though.

As for a mid life update to each title, then it will be down to the individual to decide when and if they can afford to do it with every game every time. I imagine 2 or 3 years from now with perhaps 3 or 4 titles out it might be difficult to choose which ones to upgrade. Of course it all depends on pricing. Updating 4 titles at say $20 and buying a new module wouldn't be cheap.

That said I've had more than my money's worth out of CMBN so far.

Cheers

That said I've had more than my money's worth out of CMBN so far.

Cheers

That's good to hear. I feel the same way and most of my experiences with it are are non battle related. One of the best features about CM games is that there's more than one way to enjoy them. But I am looking forward to doing lots more fighting with the up coming title and 2.0 CMBN upgrade...and boy oh boy, when MG gets here!

Mord.

Quick one Moon,

You mentioned that future customers will be able to buy the old CM:BN without the upgrade at a discount from the CM:BN upgraded to 2.0, correct?

Out of curiosity can you give us now any rough idea on how much will that discounted price will compare to what we paid for CM:BN at the original release? And the CM:BN 2.0?

In other words will this equation somehow hold: Old CM:BN price + Upgrade price = New CM:BN 2.0 price?

Battle of France !

( can't hurt to ask again ;) )

It could be an "nice extra" in the "Odds and Sods" module ... lol

I don't see how it could happen that way. Anything that early in the war would need its own family. About the only thing that could carry over from BN would be some terrain. Most everything else, TO&Es, vehicles, would be different.

Michael

I don't see how it could happen that way. Anything that early in the war would need its own family. About the only thing that could carry over from BN would be some terrain. Most everything else, TO&Es, vehicles, would be different.

Michael

You take all the fun out of a good whine :D

Sorry. I know I am dreadfully realistic. It's a habit I've tried to break for years, but I just can't seem to help myself.

Michael

Yeah, I know the chances of Battle of France are vanishingly small, but there's no reason not to twit BFC about it now and again :) realism or not ;)

About the only concern I have is that within a very few years I plan on semi-retiring (YAY!) and moving to a location where only dial-up is available (BOOO!). I hope the various upgrades and content DLC will be available on a physical disk.

About the only concern I have is that within a very few years I plan on semi-retiring (YAY!) and moving to a location where only dial-up is available (BOOO!). I hope the various upgrades and content DLC will be available on a physical disk.

You can always drive to the big city and use the WiFi at Starbuks for your down loads.

They ran a fiber optic cable through the front yard of my farmhouse and all that is available are dial up and ridiculously inadequate and overpriced satellite internet (which I gleefully told to stuff it several years back). I imagine it will be the same 50 years from now.

They ran a fiber optic cable through the front yard of my farmhouse and all that is available are dial up and ridiculously inadequate and overpriced satellite internet (which I gleefully told to stuff it several years back). I imagine it will be the same 50 years from now.

It's your front yard. Small excavators aren't expensive. When they come to repair the break, make getting a tap part of the price of the wayleave... ;)

Yeah, I know the chances of Battle of France are vanishingly small, but there's no reason not to twit BFC about it now and again :) realism or not ;)

Oh, I think it's possible they might do it if projected sales would justify the effort. But clearly a game of that scope couldn't be done just as a module of BN. Try looking on the bright side: such a family might include not only the Battle for France and the Low Countries, but also Poland, Norway, and whatever else BFC might decide to throw in.

Michael

i luv this game will buy all content packs modules etc totally brainwashed lol only one prob would like to play multiplayer but having probs accessing my internet address

I'd work on your grammar and sentence structure in the meanwhile.

What happens with ongoing games? Will it be possible to transition CMBN save games to 2.0?

Sorry if I missed the answer. I'm asking because I'm just starting to longish games and would hate to be stuck with the old crap noone can stand anymore. ;)