First Impressions

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First impressions after a few attempts at the training scenario.

This is either a game I'll hate to love or a game i'll love to hate.

The game is great but I am crap at it. I am having difficulty getting used to the spotting.... Why don't the Krauts stand up and wave flags so I can shoot them rather than shooting me and disappearing... are they trying to deliberately get me angry.

That and opening up on me without warning when I am in the open... can't they at least fire a warning shot like the police.... I mean they are acting as if this is real warfare rather than just a game.

No sooner have i lined a squad up to concentrate fire on a target from behind a hedge than they hit them with artillery.

And don't get me started on that bloody 75mm anti-tank gun....

I've just realised what was wrong with the Oldies thread... we're actually all in our teens...

Its games like this that have aged us.....

Peter.

Just popped into say great game and for a swear. Four hours into Breaking the Bocage, doing OK but not great, totally immersed in the game and having a blast then "pop", it crashes. The Nvidia card decided it would stop working for a few seconds, at least thats what the Microsoft message said, and I hadn't saved at all. Bummer.

The game is great but I am crap at it. I am having difficulty getting used to the spotting.... Why don't the Krauts stand up and wave flags so I can shoot them rather than shooting me and disappearing... are they trying to deliberately get me angry.

That and opening up on me without warning when I am in the open... can't they at least fire a warning shot like the police.... I mean they are acting as if this is real warfare rather than just a game.

No sooner have i lined a squad up to concentrate fire on a target from behind a hedge than they hit them with artillery.

I've just realised what was wrong with the Oldies thread... we're actually all in our teens...

Peter.

Now look.. We made Peter growl and show his teeth. Monty had a Peter like this one, but was more khaki in color. :) Once I am done with the map on the Cobra breakout, will send to you so you can show your teeth more.

Rune

Great! very very good! not only a mod of CMSF, but really a new game.

I play the us side scénario in bocage, and I look this:the wireless telegraph poles are cut!! exellent solution. Battlefront make their games with love,I love it.

(so I want the sound of the open up tank like in CMx1, pleeeaaase!:D)

My positive feelings have been summed up by others. Just watching a German attack develop through dense smoke was amazing; the sounds, animations, etc, by far the best I've experienced in a WW II wargame. Really looking forward to the full game.

Just popped into say great game and for a swear. Four hours into Breaking the Bocage, doing OK but not great, totally immersed in the game and having a blast then "pop", it crashes. The Nvidia card decided it would stop working for a few seconds, at least thats what the Microsoft message said, and I hadn't saved at all. Bummer.

That's a bit of a bugger - probably due to overheating. Open the case up and give the fans a good hoover. Don't touch the PC with the hoover though.

. . . I was really disappointed that the PDF manual has "CM:BN Demo" stamped in the middle of every page, making it a pain to read.

First the useless online reader, and now this? . . .

I would certainly have enjoyed the demo and these past weeks of waiting for the release much more if I had been able to read the manual. Now it looks like I have to wait until the full game is released. :(

Yes, that black text watermark in the Adobe Acrobat file was a bit of a nuisance. Poorly conceived, it was.

From the what were they thinking department, the only thing worse than the online reader was the steel box video on Youtube. Ghastly.

OTOH, the game looks like a lot of fun, and I'm sure that patches will fix a lot of problems that people are/will be encountering.

Yes, that black text watermark in the Adobe Acrobat file was a bit of a nuisance. Poorly conceived, it was.

From the what were they thinking department, the only thing worse than the online reader was the steel box video on Youtube. Ghastly.

OTOH, the game looks like a lot of fun, and I'm sure that patches will fix a lot of problems that people are/will be encountering.

I expect the manual thing is to try and protect there work, as they would prefer you to buy the game and get the clean and fresh manual than rely on the free demo version.

I would expect a lot of the so called glitches are due to the fact this is a demo version and is probably not the same as the Gold version they will release to paying customers and by that i mean it may have been an earlier final candidate version than the gold will be.

First Impressions... Hmmm... Lets just say the demo has made me pre-order the Steelbook version.

Seriously though, all in all it could probably be a bit more optimized, as its running quite sluggish at the moment, the same goes for CM:SF, even though my computer is well above the recommended specs (granted it is only a Core2Duo E7500, I AM running a 4870X2 graphics card, which is still rated very highly). Having heaps of fun with the game otherwise.

Will my comp even handle it?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 System Model: OptiPlex GX270

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 357MB used, 2107MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01511028&REV_02

Display Memory: 96.0 MB

The German mirror is hanging now for about 15 minutes, the Filefactory download site did work - at 50 kB/sec for a download time af 4 to 5 hours. Seems I have to wait for the steel box to arrive :(.

To hasty: the German Mirror of Worth Playing started after all - and it ges a whopping 300 kB speed. Just 30 minutes left....

Not being negative but I used gamers hell for the download and it took I believe 3 minutes and 17 seconds.:)

Bo

Peter.

Good to see you enjoying yourself Mr. Cairns. If you don't like the tutoral too much just wait until you try Busting the Bockage! I lost two tanks in two minutes and other than they were killed from somewhere leftish of their position (from the hit report) I had no idea what killed them or where it might be.

Also regular German infantry die hard, very hard - scout team pops up gets of a couple of bursts, killing a couple of my guys at over 100 yards with SMGs, and immdiately get return fire from three Shermans, then they get the full and exclusive attention of one Sherman for a full two minutes. Finally, my infantry go forward and one of the bloody scouts, who is wounded (yellow) pops up and gets another couple of bursts off killing one more and red injuring another. I have currently got a lone LMG gunner who is proving equally resistant - so far rifle, BAR, MG, Sherman main gun and 60mm mortar fire have all failed to kill the b*stard.

I love it so far...just love it. Playing the Tutorial... I went really slow but with enough time to make it to the crossroads. The shermans when opened really do some freaking crazy damage vs infantry. Freaking HE Shells blasting, co-ax mg blazing, and the .50cal just ripping stuff up. I finished with 3 shermans still on the field of battle. one of my shermans had inflicted the Pak a vital kill shot, and then proceeded to inflict 33KIA and 5MIA. Not sure how you inflict a MIA but... dang those guys were having a field day. Loads of fun.. Im going to try the German side next time and see if I can defend vs the AI. I have to say the AI is freaking awesome right now. Flanking and cover fire... well done.

IMO, Combat Mission really makes you appreciate and even take better notice some of the things that must have happened 65 years ago in new ways. Such as the tremendous killing power of the Shermans. We hear a lot about how GIs were afraid of the Tiger or the Panther, but I bet that your typical German Landser didn't feel much better about the approaching sound of a Sherman with that .50 cal, bow MG, co-ax and very effective HE...

Having the same problem - crashed on my Mac too.

... wireless telegraph poles are cut!! exellent solution. ...

I thought the basic function of these poles is to actualy hold wires. And radio is called 'wireless' in English because the point is, that you don't need wires for transmission.

Ok, of course I know what you mean. Really good one. That small details is, what I like about the CM-Games.

Wonderful! I love it. This is the first time that I enjoy to play a game based on the CMx2 engine. I have purchased CMSF, played three or four scenarios but found no interest and stopped playing, later I tried the British module but it seems that the modern setting is not my cup of tea.

There must be something in WW2 setting that makes the game more to my taste. Right at the first seconds of the first scenario I felt like I am back home; the demo of CMBN brought me back the fun and magic of the CMx1 games. I impatiently wait the full game and for someone to make the CMBN version of 'Valley of Trouble' and 'Chance Encounter'.

Im going to try the German side next time and see if I can defend vs the AI. I have to say the AI is freaking awesome right now. Flanking and cover fire... well done.

Don't waste your time. I tried it and apparently there's no script for US attack. I surrendered after 10-15 minutes of not even a sound contact and upon map review, saw they weren't going anywhere.

Sorry for the "spoiler", but there'd be more groans from playing as Germans waiting for 45 minutes.