First Impressions

Is there a way to open the Normandy Demo v100.brz file for modding? Would love to have a look at the sounds!

Try to 'explode' the CMBN-demo file 'Normandy Demo v100.brz' in your CMSF/CMA - 'mod tools explode program'.

EDIT: If you don't have a 'CMSF/CMA - mod tools explode bla-bla' wait till you have the full version of CMBN.

I'm shure it will bring you along a 'CMBN-'mod tools explode program'.´But then, I think you will be more interested in actualy mod the 'true' CMBN then the demo...

Because... ...it's like this in CMSF

64.gif

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should there be more brown in the US uniforms? The pants of that uniform were brown, I thought.

The "brown" was due to the fact that they were sometimes wearing the OD wool combat pants with the M-1943 field jacket, which was a darker, greener shade of OD. It was also made from cotton, giving it a different texture and look from the wool pants, even in monochrome photos of the era. When the M-1943 jacket is worn with the pants it was designed to be worn with, the look is much like what you see in the game. Soldiers in mid-war wore mix and match depending upon what was available and later in the war you saw less and less of the wool uniform.

There is a small amount of what I call the "hex effect" in the map layout, but it is unavoidable in this type of game, and certainly not as pronounced as in earlier games. Close in, it is on par with a lot of FPS games.

It is not unavoidable at all - it is function of how terrain features are represented in the simulation. In CMx2 apparently the terrain is represented somewhat like in a traditional boardgame way, but with a resolution which is better than CM1x. It's not high enough to avoid the "hex effect" being noticeable. To what extent this hampers gameplay is open for discussion. I haven't found it interfering at all so far - on the contrary I still am a bit surprised over the quality of the map as seen in the game rather than comparatively low-res youtube clips from the VAARs.

If I was to give some criticism it would be the IMO too high sensitivity of camera controls. I find it hard to move the camera around (and in particular forward) in small enough controlled increments.

Having a widescreen monitor I don't like moving my mouse from side to side for lateral and pivoting movement. It might work better on 4:3 monitors.

Personally I prefer standard FPS game's movement controls better for handling the camera (arrows for fwd, back, left

and right) + mouse-look (i.e. pivoting: yaw, pitch).

My primary wish for the future would be some way for the user to customize camera controls including things such as camera acceleration, scaling of mouse-wheel movements, control assignments etc.

I still have to play a 3rd person/CM style game where camera controls are intuitive and smooth enough to be comfortable. Twitch/FPS games usually have better honed camera/avatar controlling mechanisms since they are crucial to in-game survival.

That said I'm sure it's partly a matter of learning on my behalf. Still it just would be easier on the user if 3D movement controls were somehow standardized across similar games.

Overall I'm positively surprised of the general looks. The game has been a joy to play so far (not counting my camera problems).

Kudos to Battlefront!

In keeping with the "first impressions thread," it's an excellent merging of lessons learned from CMSF and the classic detailed content of the CMv1 family. I do miss the detailed, clearly formatted in-game info available on a unit (the old "Info" dialog), but I can always search the web for those details.

One minor item of style which appears to have been ported directly from CMSF-- the fire mission call-in sounds like it's using the same mic sound effect as CMSF fire missions, even with the on-map mortars being called in verbally or visually, as in the Training scenario.

Lots of fun, can't wait to get into the full game. Keep up the good work.

Where is the game!

it`s damn awsome!!

I got 1 total victory(bocage)

and a no winner on the german attack map as german...

I tried to flank the town, and american tanks got my attacking inf. in the open.

I manage to panzershrek a tank tho :) in ambush. But the damn crew routed my 3 inf. unit around...

"CM;BN has encountered an error and needs to close"

It takes forever for everything to load, and all I get for my time is this...

And several loading screenes piled on top of eachother

What are your system specs? Do you have enough system RAM and HD space? Your description of the problem sounds like your PC is seriously bogged down by something: have a lot of other things running at the same time? Antivirus/antimalware? And are your video drivers current? Those are the usual suspects in my experience. Wishing you good luck...

Wipes tear from eye... It's damn beautiful... damn beautiful ;)

Yes, it is. Apart from the graphical renderings of trenches and foxholes which are bit of an eyesore, imo. I understand there were programming reasons for depicting them above ground, but the game deserves better.

Guys I'm having a hard time learning how to play. Is there a tutorial somewhere that goes along with the tutorial mission?

There's six tutorial missions that come with the full game. In the meantime, the training mission closely resembles Raff Moves Inland, which has a tutorial in the manual, page 20 or 30 something (don't remember the exact page). With some modification, that will work.

I am kinda surprised you guys didn't include that awesome briefing regarding all the extra info about bocages/tactics and so forth that was in the 'busting bocage' mission in the tutorial mission tbh. You'd have to mod it a bit (no rhinos etc) and sure its all in the pdf...but come on, who doesn't lick the icing of the cupcake first :P Sad truth is many who have no experience in this kind of patience game may not be prone to read the pdf and instead jump into the game and then get all butthurt when they can't figure stuff out. Most of them should be able to slug through the briefing at least before hitting the OK/GIMME NOW NOW NOW!! button and the ones who stick it out may be future wargamers/customers. :)

If I was to give some criticism it would be the IMO too high sensitivity of camera controls. I find it hard to move the camera around (and in particular forward) in small enough controlled increments.

I've found that if you hold the right or left mouse button down and barely move the pointer that it moves the camera slowly, still not the best but manageable.

I cannot get the demo to run. Keep getting windows error. Any Ideas? Running an I7 920 processor, 8G RAM, Windows 7 Home prem 64-bit, video card is a ATI Radeon HD5770 1024 MB GDDR5. with McAfee anti virus and firewall. I have pre ordered and it is not looking to good right now. please help! I have tried to run as admin as well.

I cannot get the demo to run. Keep getting windows error. Any Ideas? Running an I7 920 processor, 8G RAM, Windows 7 Home prem 64-bit, video card is a ATI Radeon HD5770 1024 MB GDDR5. with McAfee anti virus and firewall. I have pre ordered and it is not looking to good right now. please help! I have tried to run as admin as well.

Format your machine, reinstall the OS, install latest video and sound drivers on your pc and then install this game. If it still does not run you have hardware problems.

Format your machine, reinstall the OS, install latest video and sound drivers on your pc and then install this game. If it still does not run you have hardware problems.

Thanks, It is a brand new machine. Just seems like an extreme solution to me. I will try the video drives and see if it helps.

Thanks, It is a brand new machine. Just seems like an extreme solution to me. I will try the video drives and see if it helps.

Sure but why not make sure its absolutely not the hardware and start with a clean machine? Plus youll be ready for the full game and youll know that its running at its fastest with such a fresh install.

Pour some engine oil into the processor bay and switch the voltage on the power supply, place your computer in the backyard for 24 hours and turn it on. If it does not run you now have hardware problems.

What are your system specs? Do you have enough system RAM and HD space? Your description of the problem sounds like your PC is seriously bogged down by something: have a lot of other things running at the same time? Antivirus/antimalware? And are your video drivers current? Those are the usual suspects in my experience. Wishing you good luck...

I posted my specs earlyer with the question"will my system handle the game"?

I was hoping the silence was a "yes"

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 System Model: OptiPlex GX270

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 357MB used, 2107MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01511028&REV_02

Display Memory: 96.0 MB

Spinkick why dont leave this to BFC Tech Support

Your suggestion is like telling someone to tear down their house

because the front door is sticking

Beckb2915

There are other people that have had some issues with Win 7 64

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/

Thats a great plan Jeff. Spend an hour troubleshooting his system, or spend an hour to reinstall the os on his machine and cut to the chase and have faster performance as a nice added bonus. You shouldnt have to tweak your machine to get this thing to run.

Best of luck to you. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

I posted my specs earlyer with the question"will my system handle the game"?

I was hoping the silence was a "yes"

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 System Model: OptiPlex GX270

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 357MB used, 2107MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01511028&REV_02

Display Memory: 96.0 MB

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "No, your system is cannot handle this game."

You're well below the suggested minimum on system memory and graphics card especially.

Sorry. I'm pleasantly surprised that my 3.5 year old system (which certainly wasn't anywhere near top of the line in terms of gaming even when I bought it) is running the game pretty well, albeit certainly not at highest detail settings. But my system is still substantially more powerful than yours. I think you're going to have to invest in some new hardware if you want to play CMBN.