First Impressions

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HQ units get a central UI display listing their respective lower units and who is-and-isn't linked. If you click on the unit name in the UI you jump right to the unit.

That feature isn't quite perfect at the moment.

I saw commanders with non existing teams in their panel, while existing teams were not shown in others.

Also, but that I only know from CMSF, when the superior also has a special weapon, like an AT-launcher, or a vehicle, the subordinate tab is replaced by the team/vehicle panel, so navigating your units using the bottom controls is not complete.

But there are many more important issues to implement, no real complaint here from me.

Really a great CM! becomes my favourite! I detected missing textures in Editor! Buildings with more than 2 highs (hope everybody understand, what I mean) have a black texture. But I believe, Battlefront wanted to save Megabytes for the demo.

Yup, if you see any graphical texture oddities, it's almost certainly due to resources chopped out to keep the demo size small.

Ive played the tutorial a few times ( its kicking my ass on easiest setting can we have a hello kitty level ? ) and cant spot any bugs and think its a excellent start. Has anybody noticed surrendered solders become bulletproof ? the minute they surender they stay where they are kneeling in the middle of a firefight.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a game designer. My knowledge of usability comes from my study of it as it relates to web design and development.

Really great game so far, it actually "feels" like a real company attack. I think you've nailed the tactical war-game genre. That said, I think your game design could benefit from some serious study of usability. Some minor usability adjustments would make the game infinitely more accessible.

For example:

Deploy: it's really hard to tell if a weapon is being deployed or not. IMO there should be indicators telling the player the state of deploy. Right now, when a weapon is deployed, it just shows the weapon silhouette in the profile panel. It also does this while it's deploying or being packed up. When not deployed, the profile silhouette is clearly labeled with a "NOT DEPLOYED" text. I've noticed two subtle queues to show if the weapon is deploying or packing up: the deploy icon in the orders panel changes SLIGHTLY, and it will say 'Mortar: Deploying' or 'Mortar: Packing up' in the updated status box on the left hand side, above the GUI. These queues are too subtle and I think accessibility and game play would be greatly improved by clearly labelling the weapon consistently for all stages of deploy, as you've done for 'Not Deployed.'

When weapon is not deployed: Profile reads 'Not Deployed'

When weapon is deploying: Profile reads 'Deploying'

When weapon is packing up: Profile reads 'Packing up'

When weapon is deployed: You can either have the profile remain as it is now, with just the silhouette, or you can label the profile 'Deployed.'

Either way, clear visual indicators in one consistent spot in the GUI. It is poor practice to make your user search the entire GUI for different subtle cues relating to one command. Going one step further: Change the order to read appropriately, based on the current state. e.g.: when the weapon is deployed, the order could read "Pack Up" instead of deploy.

The above can be applied to a number of commands: Hide and Open Up immediately come to mind (Hide/Unhide, Open Up/Button Up).

We really need indicators beyond the ambiguous icon change in the orders panel.

I've been playing CM since the CMBO beta demo days and you guys have mastered simulating tactical combat in the last 10ish years. You're falling a bit short on usability (almost there but not quite) and i think improving on that would really push you guys over the edge in terms of development.

Hi at all,

I`ve just downloaded the demo and played the the training scenario and the battle closing the pocket. My first impression is very good. The game is much improved over the old cm titles. Actually I`ve got my ass kicked in the training scenario by the ai :)

but I`ve got one technical question after playing closing the pocket. One of my panther tank got hit by a m10 on the frontal upper plate 3 times. All of the hits riocheted of the front plate but after each hit the optics and the radio got damaged more and more. Seems kinda strange to me how a non penetrating hit to the hull could damage the radio and the optics of the tank ?! :confused:

Could somebody with a deeper technical understanding of a tank could explain this damage model to me or is it a bug ?!

Thank`s in advance and great job. I`am looking forward to the final release.

Hey, this game is hard :) I lost all my armored cars and 1 Panther and I'm afraid to deploy the Marders for fear of losing them. I keep looking for "ACQUIRE" so i can deploy a few Javelins to take care of the pesky Shermans. Whats up with this? It's like I've never played a tactical WWII game;)

Congrats to BFC for a fantastic Demo and counting the hours till we get the entire game!

Oh wow! Sooooo much eye candy (and ear candy as well). I´m drooling so much over the graphics and animations that each action replay turn takes almost half an hour.

I´m especially pleasantly surprised by the infantry animations - they´ve also improved since CMSF. And to me it´s a huge improvement that the uniforms and weapons of the soldiers vary so much.

Glad, I´m already relatively familiar with the controls. The months wandering the (CMSF)desert wasn´t entirely wasted after all then. ;-)

First impression: A little better than my - already sky high - expectations.

Take your time with the full game, guys - the demo will keep me busy and happy for at least two weeks

Ive played the tutorial a few times ( its kicking my ass on easiest setting can we have a hello kitty level ? )

The different levels are not really the same as easy .. hard.

Playing in Iron mode even has some advantages, as you can see a unit's situational awareness at a glance when you select him.

Maintaining communications is a bit harder, medical aid takes a bit longer, but the enemy doesn't shoot better or something. The actual fighting is the same.

after each hit the optics and the radio got damaged more and more. Seems kinda strange to me how a non penetrating hit to the hull could damage the radio and the optics of the tank ?

Well. I certainly don´t posses a "deeper technical understanding", but I think I know the answer:

Even if the Panther´s armor makes it very hard to kill, the optics and radio still have to be connected to the outside world - and these things on the outside are relatively fragile. So a hit that doesn´t penetrate the armor itself may very well damage for instance the aerial for the radio or the periscope (or whatever) for the optics.

That´s my guess.

Well. I certainly don´t posses a "deeper technical understanding", but I think I know the answer:

Even if the Panther´s armor makes it very hard to kill, the optics and radio still have to be connected to the outside world - and these things on the outside are relatively fragile. So a hit that doesn´t penetrate the armor itself may very well damage for instance the aerial for the radio or the periscope (or whatever) for the optics.

That´s my guess.

Don't forget about spalling. :)

My computer is too weak too handle more than the lowest graphic options (as it does with CMSF), so CMBN doesn't look as great as on the official screenshots for me (for the moment...), but despite this expectable disappointment, I must admit that I was immediatly taken with its atmosphere !

So much details...

CM rules! and for long.

Brilliant...I know I've said it already. I also need to say "THANKS!".

Loved the way I could see the artillery expositions lighting through the windows of a building I was 'close' to.

Internal vehicle graphics, brilliant. The first time my Sherman got roasted....brilliant, the crew popping hatches to bail out, brilliant.

Thanks....can't wait for my pre-order!!!

Cheers

Of course, my luck, I not only didn't get to leave early, but I had to work over. When I got home (in record time), I proceded to install the demo and....wow....absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately, I had some "game freezing up" issues (Windows 7, fairly high end ATI card). Did manage to play (and lose) the tutorial scenario. Going to play it again in a few minutes. As an old CMx1 Veteran....it's going to take me a while (probably a long while) to become accustomed to CMx2. But....so far...I LOVE IT.

I'm impressed with the models, looks very sharp indeed. Maybe i missed something though, i can't choose a resolution above 1280x960. Can choose "desktop" which should be 1600x1200 native, but the resolution is lower then mentioned setting. Can someone clarify for me?

There is one thing that bugged me during the tutorial mission.

I got to a point where my infantry got close to a pak40, then i ordered them to assault it from the side.

As they did so, they stopped right next to it, the BAR gunner literally stuck his weapon in the pak gunners' ear and fired.

....and missed. About 4 times. Then the squad panicked (probably because they found out what the term "ubermensch" really means). After that they ran away in the enemy direction.

I then sent in a second team to assault the gun (again from the side). They stopped aprox 3 meters from it, started firing and missed.

Before i got a chance to throw half the US of A and their mothers on the friggin thing, the battle ended. Turned out the crew of the pak only got rattled.

May 12 --- The Longest Day

This has been the longest and most unproductive day at work I have ever had!!! The only strategies and logistics I am thinking about have to do with taking out MG42's and Panzers!!!!

ONLY ONE MORE HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12 --- The Longest Day

This has been the longest and most unproductive day at work I have ever had!!! The only strategies and logistics I am thinking about have to do with taking out MG42's and Panzers!!!!

ONLY ONE MORE HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds just like me! Good to know Im not the only one. I can blame the epidemy.

I can't directly use them, so I have to use a HQ or an FO.

Ok, Just tried this on Busting Bocage and they are working perfectly. I used point target from both the FO and the Coy HQ to call in a setup barrage.

What type of fire were you calling (ie linear, area)? Who was calling it?

It's been a long time. I didn't play any of the modern era games (not my cup of tea) so I stubbornly held out for BF to bring back WWII. And oh how I waited... You'd think that the new interface and command set would have slowed me some, that the learning curve would be steep and arduous. But not for me. No sir! Once you've played (and won) the original BF series, moving into Beyond Normandy is child's play, a cake walk, a tasty slice of apple pie.

Yep. I just fired up the tutorial scenario and ordered the assault on the osttruppen. And all went extremely well. Nothing could stop my brutal and relentless advance. That was right up until the moment that they blew up my tanks and killed all my guys. Hmm. I'm looking forward to a hard copy of that manual.

Very Impressive work BF! This game is a Beauty!

:)