Combat Mission 2000-2011

I beg to differ:

We've come a LONG way in 10yrs.

Wonder how things will be in 2020?

I'll probably be wearing depends and forgotten my login...daily. There will be a "were the Germans better" thread of about 38 gazillion gig of text and we'll all be asking when the module is being downloaded to our cerebral wifi link.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, the graphical improvements have been all around. For example:

Infantry: every dude in your battalion is shown, rather than Larry, Moe & Curly. But not only that - the kit they carry is also shown (and uniforms and helmets vary, too), so your troopers don't look all the same. And that's not all: there's tons of animations for things like reloading, different movement modes, taking a hit etc. About the only thing that you don't see them do is scratch their asses!

Vehicles: the 1:1 modelling of every Dick and Fritz in your force also counts here because you can finally see the whole crew of M7 Priest or Marder or whatever. Everything's superbly animated, from drive gear to hatches and machineguns. The insides of the vehicles are also modelled and textured, so you can look inside and see just how roomy it was inside a Stuart! Like infantry, tanks also have lots of random kit on them. Sandbags, track links, ration boxes, zinc buckets... not to mention that the models are all in all the most detailed that you've probably ever seen in a WW2 game. In CMBO clever artists had to use textures to create the look of incredible details. In CMBN, most of this is already there in the 3d model.

Buildings: lots of building types. There are modular buildings as well as individual buildings. And they're not just backdrops: you can take them down wall by wall, floor by floor.

Terrain: no way to compare these. CMx1 had a very limited (yet incredibly versatile) terrain palette. In CMBN you have a wide selection of stuff that you can mix together and use in what ever way you like. This and the denser terrain mesh means that you can create sceneries much more true to life than ever in CMx1. But you'll have to wait for the demo to see just what I mean, because no screenshots or videos will do justice to just how good the maps can look.

Buildings look just about the same as they did in CMBO. After watching that, i'm thinking apart from the infantry, most of the changes are not graphical. Be interesting to see same vid with the modded skins and scenery we had back then. Bet they look better than CMBN skins :)

What are you smoking?

yes ,the video is crap and I didn't re-watch it 3 or 4 times:p ,I remember playing CMBO and going"Holy Crap this is cool" ,now the same scenes redone with CMBN are making me go "Holly crap this is cool":D , the scenes with the columns of Armour and the Infantry looked so much like ww2 newsreel footage ive seen ,just needs to be redone in B&W!

I reckon Tube Guy should do a fist-pump after he nails a Tiger...

FWIW, there are scenes in this video where I agree with the poster who said the buildings seem very similar to the CMBO ones. I know what he means. But clearly that's just the way this video caught them, because the subsequent photos etc show what they _can_ look like now.

GaJ

Actually, I'm shocked that no-one has identified this particular flower as indigenous to North America only.

Are we to swallow the story that they got the flora right?

I am not sure thay have. Steve has said that the flowers in the picture are Lavender, but there are two problems with that whether it is reasonable that Lavender could be present in Normandy in the profusion depicted and, if it could, how it is modelled in the game.

Northwest Europe is far outside Lavender's native range. The species probably originated in India but spread westwards through the Med by ancient times (both the Romans and the Greeks used it). Such examples of the plant in more northerly climes are only found having planted by man in plantations or gardens, or escapees from gardens.

As far as I am aware there was no commercial lavender plantation in Normandy in 1944 (I don't think there is one still, both the climate and soil are wrong for it to be grown is sufficient quantities). The screen shot clearly isn't set in someone's garden and the profusion of the plant is much to large to have been caused by an escapee. Therefore, on the first count I think that BF has got the flora wrong, again.

If that argument fails and it really is lavender, then the modellng of it is grossly unrealistic. Lavender is a shrub with long, narrow leaves with the flowers in whorls above the foilage. Look at a picture of any lavender flower and you will see that they are very different from those in the screen shot. Additionally because it is a shrub, the flowers are many and very close together. Those in the screen shot are spread far too far apart; their spacing is more akin to the effect one sees from individual plants scattered accross an area of grassland or meadow.

So, I argue that either BF have failed to get the flora correct or they have failed in their modelling. Either way the game is clearly broken at a fundamental level.

Of course, BF could have just produced some nice looking scenery whch has no basis in any real flora and Steve, by claiming the flowers are Lavender, is trying to shut down another silly discussion before it starts.

Awesome, awesome job. My only suggestion is that it would be much more effective to have them playing side by side rather than one after the other and then it is a lot easier to spot the improvements. I tried doing in separate windows on my laptop but unfortunately the resolution isn't quite enough. Perhaps I should try hooking up to my TV...

...and Steve, by claiming the flowers are Lavender, is trying to shut down another silly discussion before it starts.

I think Steve knows by now that that's a Quixotic endeavour. They're special Normandine Lavender Poppies. Still mauve because they have yet to be watered with the blood of conflict.