Combat Mission 2000-2011

Believe it or not, one of the things that flashed through my mind when I saw the first screen shots showing ground terrain details in CMBN, was "They are going to debates on the forums about what flowers would be growing in July in the Bocage country..."

Thanks for making my dreams come true.

Hey, I didn't make a swallow reference for nothing, you know!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Believe it or not, one of the things that flashed through my mind when I saw the first screen shots showing ground terrain details in CMBN, was "They are going to debates on the forums about what flowers would be growing in July in the Bocage country..."

Thanks for making my dreams come true.

Oi! You are the one that started the flora issue. Remember you did post, "Actually, I'm shocked that no-one has identified this particular flower as indigenous to North America only. Are we to swallow the story that they got the flora right?"

I was going to let the issue rest until you stuck your oar in. Then Steve had to male his Lavender claim and so in the interests of historical fidelity we were off. So, it ill behoves you, having stirred the excrement, to come around wittering about its smell.

... Remember you did post, "Actually, I'm shocked that no-one has identified this particular flower as indigenous to North America only. Are we to swallow the story that they got the flora right?"

Errrr, no. I don't remember posting that.

'Course, I'm at the point where almost any claim of memory lapse made against me has to be given substantial credit.

Denis Moore didn't ride through the moor, he rode through the glen with his merry men.

"Stole from the poor gave to the rich... silly bitch silly bitch silly bitch....."

As to lavender it mainly grows to the south but it is also grown as a crop.

Google; Lavender, France and look at images. Or better still post some here it looks awesome.

I can image the odd prospect of an infantry fire fight in a bright purple field.

Oh and then of course there may well be the mod of field the six foot high Sunflowers which again tend to be further south but it would be crazy terrain for a battle.

Peter.

Oh, but you're comparing a 21st century industrialized farm to a 1940's farm where things were done by man and horse kind of way. Of course it looks different! :P

Exactly! The Berglöwe 360SE Automated Lavender Harvester gives us the perfect rows that would have been impossible back in the day!

:D

Oh, but you're comparing a 21st century industrialized farm to a 1940's farm where things were done by man and horse kind of way. Of course it looks different! :P

Sergei,

First off, as I have already posted, there is no evidence that lavender was farmed commercially in Normandy, so the issue of horses versus the "Berglöwe 360SE Automated Lavender Harvester" (my thanks to RogCBrand for reminding of tha invalauable piece of machinery), don't enter into it.

Secondly, if you zoom in on the shrubs in that commercial lavender photo you will see what I meant about the modelling of the flowers, if Steve was being serious, of lavender being fundamentally flawed.

Frankly the only way I can see BF being able to cogently release the game without a fundamental redesign of the terrain model is if they were to say to the flora grogs, "Stop being so -ing silly", but I am not holding my breath.

The terrain set for the entire campaign in France (up to the Bulge timeframe) is included in the base game. At least that's what we were thinking when we put it in. Seems some of us (raises hand) didn't realize it's only appropriate for Southern France. Which means we probably could have done without it. Oh well, seems next time we'll have to get some Floral Grogs on the Beta Testing team (if only to tease them ;)).

Steve

Sergei,

First off, as I have already posted, there is no evidence that lavender was farmed commercially in Normandy, so the issue of horses versus the "Berglöwe 360SE Automated Lavender Harvester" (my thanks to RogCBrand for reminding of tha invalauable piece of machinery), don't enter into it.

Secondly, if you zoom in on the shrubs in that commercial lavender photo you will see what I meant about the modelling of the flowers, if Steve was being serious, of lavender being fundamentally flawed.

Frankly the only way I can see BF being able to cogently release the game without a fundamental redesign of the terrain model is if they were to say to the flora grogs, "Stop being so -ing silly", but I am not holding my breath.

You're assuming that Steve KNOWS it's lavender. It could be just a rare spice that Germans wanted to be cultivated so that they could make more Jägermeister.

Oh and then of course there may well be the mod of field the six foot high Sunflowers which again tend to be further south but it would be crazy terrain for a battle.

That reminds me that Normandy does grow some wierd-ass looking cropps, to whit: artichokes (the globe variety) Spiky things with a stalk with a globe on it. Or at least that's what my dad said it was when we were on holiday there.

You're assuming that Steve KNOWS it's lavender. It could be just a rare spice that Germans wanted to be cultivated so that they could make more Jägermeister.

No one drinks that sh1te, a few people pretend they do just to keep the producers happy.

It seems more likely that that screenshot was taken in a field that a farmer tried to use for lavender, but his enterprise failed so he left it fallow hence the current wild-lavender aspect.

I'm just waiting for the lavender versus sunflower debate and which was better in August 1944 when you took into account certain soil conditions and drainage factors. Throw in which one looks better in certain pots and it could get downright ugly.

Cry havoc and let slip the grogs of flower war! :P

I'm just waiting for the lavender versus sunflower debate and which was better in August 1944 when you took into account certain soil conditions and drainage factors. Throw in which one looks better in certain pots and it could get downright ugly.

Cry havoc and let slip the grogs of flower war! :P

Oh sweet heavens, we're reduced to debating the merits of flora and manure piles in Normandy as we wait for the demo and release of the game? Steve, for all good things that are decent, put us out of this misery. Horticulture. My word. Not even the number of lugnuts holding on the front geared wheel of tank type XYZ ... flowers for all things sacred. Man, we have been reduced from hard-core grogs to something even my wife could have a conversation with. The shame. Where has our manly man-ness gone? (Rhetorical, I don't need pics from any of you flowery lot.)

The graphics in the new version are very impressive, at ground level on par with some FPS games I have. I can recall when the general consensus among the gaming "experts" was that strategy/tactical games would never be this good graphically, and we would all have to settle for rough graphics or abstracts forever.

But where I really tip my hat to the graphics dept. is the zooming. It's an aspect that is easy to miss as a viewer (unless they get it wrong, then it is very noticeable), but when I watched the AAR videos, I noticed that there is a near infinite zoom scale, without the graphics degrading at any resolution. No moire screening, no pixelation, and no shifting of the terrain tiles that I could see. That is a very difficult thing to achieve, and I have seen game companies with much larger budgets and staff drop the ball on that consistently, on static art. And don't forget that all the terrain has to be modular to allow for map making by the end user while doing this. Then add in animated objects meeting the same requirements while in motion.

I am sure the modding community will improve the few things that aren't sparkly enough to suit them, like the bomb blast effects and such, but I'd say we have been given one heck of a good game to start with. (Not a knock on anyone's comments, just an observation) Speaking of modding, I also give credit to the company for allowing the art to be modded, I have seen discussions on that, and the game isn't even out yet. They have enough confidence in the product to open it up to the player base, and we all win.