Summary of Battlefront Game projects March 2011

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Pacific theatre is more suited for strategic level playing myself, but to each their own. I was never a fan of CMSF but it was a good solid game when I tried it out, just never caught on with it. A WW3 setting though similar to Red Storm Rising setting, that on the other hand would be in oh so elequent terms...kick ass. :)

As a matter of fact there shouldn't be any disc swapping. This wasn't the case with CMSF either :) It's just an install and you're good to go :) I have to say though that I have only used the download versions up until now.

I told my wife that I'm going to need a dedicated laptop for nothing BUT CM in all its variations , mods , modules , outside source scenarios ...

I still like the suggestion somebody had of mixing the CMSF units with CMBN ... modern units in the bocage ... with helo's and A10s ...

Gamers are never happy , eh ?

Love you all at BF !!

Never really understood the fascination with the Eastern front. What is it about the Russian front (and CMBB i guess) that players like so much ?

A very good question. For me because it was the mother of all wars. While on the Western Front soldiers of both sides could hope to survive with a high probability if they were becoming POW, and the fighting was more or less within certain civilized boundaries, in the East things often were different.

In general the fighting lasted much longer and was much more brutal. The psychic and physical stresses, especially when things were not going well anymore, are beyond imagination and did not happen on the Western Front in that extremes.

My grandfather, a tank-hunter in 3rd Mountain Div., Heeresgruppe Süd, for example after Stalingrad was lost and the whole front was threatened to collapse, was wearing clothes without a dry fibre for weeks. And then only sleeping outside during freezing nights.

Is it possible, that humans can sleep while marching?

Can anyone imagine to march 300 km in ten days? While the enemy is pressing hard and trying to outstrip the front?

What does it mean that open fires need to be made under tanks, before they even can be started, because it is that cold?

How hard must be the fighting, if wounded comrades are begging to be shot instead of falling into the hands of the enemy?

How determined is the fight of an enemy, who expels the own people from their villages, takes away their last cattle and corn they need to survive and burns the village down, even during winter?

Or can anyone imagine being that exhausted and tired, not to awake anymore even when an enemy tank is going to roll over him?

The Eastern Front meant the fighting between two sides, where the soldiers of both sides were willing - and capable - to fight to the very last bullet and to bear physical and psychological strains beyond imagination. And the incredibly huge dimension of the fight. That makes it so special and interesting for me.

Looks pretty accurate to me! For Bulge we are currently planning:

Module 1 = Commonwealth

Module 2 = Spring 1945

Module 3 = Misc. stuff

As for the content of Module 3 it's similar to the way we're planning Module 3 for CM:BN... we're keeping it flexible until we get to it. For the Bulge's Module 3 I could see things like Volkssturm, E-100, Pershing, IR Panthers, etc.

Steve

It's too bad we won't see any modules for North Africa, Tunisia, Sicily and Italy. In particular I think Italy would be a challenging theater to play for either side, with lots of interesting units from various countries.

Ah Sven Hassel books, now that brings me back.

I kinda lost interest in these books when one novel mentioned Panzerfausts being used in 1941.

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction. I once met a WW2 SS tank commander who ended up a Major in the Australian Tank Regiment and served in Centruions in Vietnam. A very nice guy he also liked doing sculptures and intricate wood carved furniture.

Hi,

Never really understood the fascination with the Eastern front. What is it about the Russian front (and CMBB i guess) that players like so much ?
Well.... I would go even further; to me all previous versions of CM are just R&D for the Eastern Front titles ;). I was truly relieved that Battlefront was starting with other theatres because by the time they reached the Eastern Front the CMX2 engine would be perfected. As CMBB was when compared to CMBO.

Why the Eastern Front...?

There are many reasons that overlap. Scale in numbers of troops, casualties, duration of time and geographical space and more. All leaving the two sides with the opportunity, no necessity to take WWII warfare to its ultimate level tactically and operationally. From Germanys’ own military records 76% of their “military” casualties were suffered on the Eastern Front. With Commonwealth Forces and the US each accounting for between 10%-12% of Germanys military casualties. The entire campaign in North West Europe from D-Day to the end of the war accounted for just 14% of Germanys’ military casualties.

The geographical scale also allowed for textbook scale combined arms operations in way only really approached in North Africa but there of course the troop numbers were about 5% - 10% of those in the Soviet Union.

The nature of the natural environment, climate and cityscape all adds to the mix.

All other fronts in WWII were really just side shows. However that does not belittle the suffering and sacrifice on those fronts. My father did most of his conventional fighting in Italy and all any can do is their utmost against the enemy squad opposite them even if strategically they find themselves fighting on what they know to be something of a “sideshow....”.

All must hope war on the scale of the Eastern Front in WWII is never repeated but as history it does make for a fascinating subject and setting. CM being so good it is a form of military history. That is why more than ten years ago I became a fan and still am.

But... of course, each to their own... :).

Looking forward to many more titles and modules, which I do believe will arrive at increasing speed,

All the best,

Kip.

I think it'll be faster than a year between modules too except for probably the Commonwealth/SS/Fallschirmjaeger module. That's going to be a really big module and I don't expect it before 2012. I expect it'll be more than $25 as well.