Visual Bone

Thank you for the bone! Looking good...

Okay, okay, here's some railgroggery criticism. You've been warned.

That's NOTHING compared to what our resident railgrog tester unleashed. And yes, we have one of those on staff as no good beta team can survive long without someone who has spent way too much time with scale model trains :D

Adjusting the gauge is on the ToDo List.

As it turns out, I wasn't far off.

Well done!! That's some good research you did there. And you are correct, it is part of the lexicon here. If you have a few more idle hours you can search on these other ones:

Refresh Monkeys (aka Night Of The Refresh Monkeys)

von Shard's Van (or simply, The Van. This is an obscure one)

Space Lobsters (good fun)

But if I were you I'd not go there :D You might find out why Rune is known as Evil.

Steve

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of old posts. Does anyone have the one about the Sherman Tanks and the M4 designation. Something like:

The M4 stood for the 4 minutes it was supposed to survive in combat. The M4A2 stood for 4 minutes-actually 2.....

Funniest post ever. I've searched archives but no luck...anyone?

Speaking of old posts. Does anyone have the one about the Sherman Tanks and the M4 designation. Something like:

The M4 stood for the 4 minutes it was supposed to survive in combat. The M4A2 stood for 4 minutes-actually 2.....

Funniest post ever. I've searched archives but no luck...anyone?

Somebody already posted that earlier in this thread or maybe it was the purchase/QB thread.

We are not speaking of a thermobaric explosion , neither of an EFP explosion (explosive Formed projectiles), just of a shell (Artillery and or mortar) landing on the ground or exploding 5 to 10 meters over the target. Neither are we speaking of the effect of the steel fragments. We are just speaking about the blast effect.

There are numerous studies being done on that issue since the Irak and Afghanistan WIA and post traumatic disorderq found on the guys having been affected by blast.

Will post some things about it, if you are interested.

Cheers

Actually, neither was I. Thermobaric explosions will lead to increased burns (due to the dispersed nature of the pre-detonated explosive cloud and increased blast injury due to longer overpressure duration and hence increased impulse. EFPs are specially deformed lumps of metal (folded inside out by explosive blast, incidentally) propelled at up to 2km/s

The bulk of IEDs are predominantly blast weapons (which is why V-hulls are effective) and frequently consist of surplus mortar or artillery shells emplaced at ground level (which is where most WW2 era artillery shells will detonate, since reliable proximity fuses were an allied-only, late war innovation.)

Blast is damaging because it is a very large impact that bounces people all over the place. Interestingly, if modern helmets are being fitted with equipment to discern and mitigate the damaging effects of shockwaves and overpressure, they must remain in place to be effective. Therefore, blast must be causing injury without removing the helmet. This in turn would indicate that the danger of neck breaking due to blast catching the helmet is minimal compared to the damage inflicted directly by the blast to the soldier.

Fragments (either primary [steel] or secondary [stone, dirt, tree branch and less pleasant items]) can be very small and very fast so they do not leave much of a mark externally but can cause fatal injury internally. This could potentially kill without leaving a visible mark and be mistaken for blast injury.

Funniest post ever. I've searched archives but no luck...anyone?[/Quote

The German nicknamed the Sherman tank "Ronson" after the adds appearing in pre war magazine for the Ronson’s lighter and specifiying “ Every time you light it it works” or something close to that. For the German it was every time you shoot at it, it lights up.

Cheers

To Flaming Knives

I agree with you and I think that to continue on that issue will have both of us blasted by non blast grog ehe eh !!!!

Regarding visuals, I'd like to make the following subtle hint: If they stripped everything from the game except strafing runs by airplanes, it would still sell. :eek:

I even went over to Youtube to compare it against ground attack gun camera footage, and came back smiling!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: Note to my masters: I do not consider this a NDA breach, because strafing runs are supposed to be in a WW2 game, no?!

I don't get the disagreement here. Think of a helmet like an umbrella.

Let's not. A helmet is nothing like an umbrella. One is made of stuff stronger than body tissue and is heavy, the other is made of little bits of metal and fabric and is light. Also, an umbrella has a huge exposed 'inside' area, whereas the 'inside' area of a helmet is almost completely covered by the head. A metal umbrella mostly covered from overpressure by the head is not a very accurate comparison to a common umbrella, I think.

There should be lots of documented cases saying that soldier's necks were broken because of the helmet neckstrap if it was a real problem. It was a problem, but it was an imaginary one.

Gamey Thomas the tank engine rush

That's not gamey at all. We all know it happened for real because it was in a movie, albeit in probably the most incorrect war movie in history of film making: Battle of the Bulge. If I recall correctly, the train lost. It was done over in one of those Bond movies, I think the train won.

Well done!! That's some good research you did there. And you are correct, it is part of the lexicon here. If you have a few more idle hours you can search on these other ones:

Refresh Monkeys (aka Night Of The Refresh Monkeys)

von Shard's Van (or simply, The Van. This is an obscure one)

Space Lobsters (good fun)

Steve

Don't forget to add : "I made him growl and show his teeth"

Dear Slave,

PS: Note to my masters: I do not consider this a NDA breach, because strafing runs are supposed to be in a WW2 game, no?!

You did fine because it's already in the game, it's expected, and you didn't give specifics other than it's cool. NDA intact :D

McAuliffe,

You just reminded me of yet another one:

SS Hampstertruppen (or just Hampstertruppen)

Steve

Steve

Surely, you have forgotten the tripod/Bren controversy.

Surgeons are now using those posts as an alternative to anesthesia. Basically, Dorosh stands over the operating table and reads aloud until the patient slips into a coma.

Mord.