Visual Bone

Truly amazing shots. The priest is so well rendered that we could almost jump inside and had its gun fired.

Just two remark to BTF :

For the first picture, the guy on the left of the radio operator has its 45 cal mags holder with the opening down. That could be easily corrected if it has not be done already.

For the houses shown, they are more the type of the ones found around Deauville and from there toward Caen suburbs than the ones found on the axe of Caen - Bayeux – Cherbourg.

There were (in 1944) some of them in la” Manche” department, but less numerically speaking than in the “Calvados” where they are numerous. Just because, the building trades and materials available, were not exactly the same. Rather stones in “la Manche” rather wood and daub in “le Calvados for the traditional houses.

You don’t see too many house of that type around Sainte Mére l’église,

These remarks are not made, in anyway, to lower the remarkable rendering that has been obtained. “Bravo”

I can’t wait to play it.

Cheers

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever looked in to using procedural generation rather than static models for things like hedges and trees? Rather than having an artist design a 'hedge' model and using that wherever a hedge occurs, you create a procedure that generates a hedge model. Obviously it takes a fair amount of tweaking and testing to get something that generates nice hedges for all input values, but then when you stick a hedge on a map, it stores the seed value(s) with the hedge and uses that to generate the hedge when the world is being created. (You don't actually need it to work for all seeds, as long as you can give a list of seeds that are acceptable and pick from those).

Although I am not nearly as knowledgeable on the subject as yourself, this is an idea whose basics I mentioned years ago, possibly even before CMBO was released. Not too helpful I admit since I couldn't proceed beyond a mere glimmering of how it might be done, but I did have hopes that it might put a bug in somebody's ear to look around and find out if there wasn't a way to do that, or if it did not already exist to invent one. So now the wheel has come round again. The way exists, and I for one hope that this will be explored further and adopted. To me it has always seemed like the road ahead.

Michael

snake_eye,

Thanks for posting a pic of US Infantry from Normandy. Seeing the screen shots from the opening page here got me wondering about how common it was for US troops to wear spats in this theater/timeframe. It looks like the guys in the pic here aren't wearing them.

Is there a WWII US Infantry uniform grog in the house? Were spats common here? Did it depend on the Division type? Just curious.

Just to be clear, I am NOT looking for something to complain about. The shots look great; I'm WAY excited. It's very cool how Steve describes there will be variety inherent within the squads with different uniform colors/components and gear.

Can't wait to play!

That photo above, the guy in the foreground is airborne. You can tell by the cut of the jacket. Oh, and isn't that the 101st airborne patch on the shoulder? So those guys are wearing jump boots, not infantry shoes and gaiters.

Infantry did seem to despise those gaiters but they still wore them. Here's infantry with gaiters (spats). :)

Spats.jpg

You are damn right Mickey, they are 101 AB guys. Among the ones that took Carentan and repulsed the German Paratroops and SS counter attack which spear got close to 500 meters to that place on the picture.

My father was there at the time and higher really got the word to beat the hell out if they were unable to prevent the seizure of Carentan; things had been pretty tight at the time.

cheers

Made me laugh when I read about the 29th ID having to keep them on because of Gerhardt.

General Gerhardt was very strict and no one dare to disobey to the order of having the chin strap on. At least when he was around.

Wearing the chin strap was not a good idea in case of blast from shelling. The helmet had a tendancy to be pulled away by the blast. In some instance it did break the neck of the poor guy, since the strap was unable to release itself. Later on the chin strap attachment were modified to preclude such a risk. The German did not have that problem, since the leather chin strap was being broken negating the broken neck effect.

Cheers

A question. If you are close enough for a helmet-full of blast to snap your neck, shouldn't you be more concerned with the face-full of blast that arrives shortly beforehand, not to mention the plethora of primary and secondary fragmentation?

A large number of effects are attributed to blast, but tests show that many of these effects are impossible. Is the chinstrap another bit of soldier mythology?

A large number of effects are attributed to blast, but tests show that many of these effects are impossible. Is the chinstrap another bit of soldier mythology?

Absolutely. A neck is far stronger than a chin strap, in any case, and even if it wasn't, there is no projectile that is strong enough to break your neck but weak enough to tear through an ordinary helmet.

But army soldiers can be just as superstitious as sailors, at times.

Thanks Dan Dare for the 1994 an now shots. A friend of mine had just sent them a week ago. they are excellent.

About the chin strap, just a question. Why the army modified the helmet chin strap late in 944 to negate the fact that when the strap stayed locked it did in some cases caused serious neck injuries and or death to a soldier (neck broken). I have read in the late 30 years quite a lot of reports about it. To say that at each time a blast effect was sustained the helmet broke the neck of the soldier is strongly exagerated, but it did happen.

Cheers

General Gerhardt was very strict and no one dare to disobey to the order of having the chin strap on.

Pretty funny coming from the guy who was dropping grenades from his Piper Cub in England.

Great book by the way (Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Division in Normandy, by Joseph Balkoski) if you have not read it. Gives a real good feel for how rough Normandy and the Bocage was.

. . . which is why I am real excited about having *real* Bocage in the game.

About the chin strap, just a question. Why the army modified the helmet chin strap late in 944 to negate the fact that when the strap stayed locked it did in some cases caused serious neck injuries and or death to a soldier (neck broken). I have read in the late 30 years quite a lot of reports about it. To say that at each time a blast effect was sustained the helmet broke the neck of the soldier is strongly exagerated, but it did happen.

Cheers

Even if it was done because of the myth, it doesn't mean that the myth was true. More like it was seen worth it to put an end to the myth so the men would wear their helmets properly.

I would bet that more men died because their helmets didn't stay on than because their helmets didn't come off.

Even if it was done because of the myth, it doesn't mean that the myth was true. More like it was seen worth it to put an end to the myth so the men would wear their helmets properly.

I would bet that more men died because their helmets didn't stay on than because their helmets didn't come off.

You are right Sergei better have the helmet on than to lose it. However, better not have a chin strap preventing that way a serious head injury.

I shall post the field modification of the helmet strap that was distributed late 1944 or early 1945, as soon as I get a hand on it.

I recall also, that the design of the kevlar helmet after the Vietnam period took in its design that problem, since it was not found with the german WWII helmet form. Its nickname at the time "Fritz".

Cheers

I could believe that getting hung up on various bits of battlefield furniture (trees, tanks, trucks etc.) would yank the helmet with sufficient force to inconvenience the wearer. Blast isn't convincing since the sort of blast that would break necks would also cave the face in.

Blast doesn't cave your face in, but it can toss you few meters away without killing you. If it is very close you will have burns (you are wounded) and might have your lungs turned out (you are dead) without any scar being seen on your body.

In that case it doesn't mind if you have an helmet on or not;

Cheers

You are right Sergei better have the helmet on than to lose it. However, better not have a chin strap preventing that way a serious head injury.

But without the chin strap the helmet doesn't stay on your head for very long. And the risk of serious head injury from chin strap hasn't been proven.

I'm with fk on this one. Seems like an urban myth took root.

If you are close enough to a blast to exert such a force, you are pretty much toast anyway.

Dunno about WWII, but IIRC the current crop of kevlar helmet chin straps got redesigned recently partly for this reason (also for improved comfort and stability)

Chinstrap grogs :D

To answer TheVulture's previous question about the code rendering the models based on algorithms instead of external models. This is something that CMx1 did a lot of. The soldiers, for example, were all in code. So were almost all terrain features. In CMx2 that's true only for walls IIRC. Everything else is done with models. Why? Because it looks better to have an artist make complex models than to have a programmer make simplified ones.

There's no way, none, that a programmer can code complex objects to the same degree an artist can in a 3D program. Even if he gets close it will require far more cost than having an artist do it. Now, if you only have a few objects to make, and they aren't all that complex, then it becomes practical. We quickly found out with CMx1 that it wasn't practical, therefore CMx2 was written for external model sources.

Could hedgerows and other organic things be done better using some sort of code algorithm? With a lot of work, my guess is yes. But we aren't going to find out since we don't have that sort of time and have hedgerows already in and working :D

Steve