Visual Bone

I understand the more focused nature of the CM2 modules but have this query... Will Normandy be limited to US army vs Heer or will there also be commonwealth troops? I think I read SS are to come later also, is that confirmed? I guess I could ask the same about LW and Volks troops.

Thanks

Fenris

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Normandy be limited to US army vs Heer ... more or less. Can't say exactly what as it would violate my NDA.

or will there also be commonwealth troops? ... No. That's for the first module

I think I read SS are to come later also, is that confirmed? ... absolutely. They will be in the first module

I guess I could ask the same about LW and Volks troops.... no info on them, but again, most likely no.

Hope that helped.

I haven't heard of volksturm in western France. They'd be, by definition, reserved for home guard duty wouldn't they? You might as well ask for Brit civil defense in Normandy too.

I could be rude too, but it would seem you have that covered.

Thanks Paper Tiger.

-F

I haven't heard of volksturm in western France.

You seem to have forgotten the Volksgrenadiers, which became Hitler's new name for recently raised infantry divisions. I don't think any were ready by the time of the Normandy battles, but it is not an unreasonable question.

Michael

If you're prepared to take the time to frame a reply then how about addressing the queries raised without being snide about it? :(

I would like to give a hearty seconding to that. Many's the time I've seen members spend bandwidth on snotty replies when a simple yes or no would have sufficed and been far less irritating.

Michael

I could be rude too...

Totally uneccessarily snippy post from MikeyD there...

Many's the time I've seen members spend bandwidth on snotty replies...

Hm, curious. I didn't read any particular rude-ness or snippy-ness in MikeyD's post, at least not enough to warrant comment. To me it looked no different than his usual observations, just sans any emoticon. *shrug*

They won't release a new bone until this thread reaches 300 posts. Maybe someone can start a long and convoluted discussion about GI socks.

Being in no way a sock grog, I'm in no position to light a fire under this thread. :P

Snippy comments about snide comments about snippy posts aside...

Volksgrenadiers did not come into being until Fall of 1944 and didn't see significant amounts of action until the Bulge. So they won't be in the 1st WW2 ETO series ("Family") at all, not even in later Modules. They are outside of the timeframe. Volkssturm are even further outside of the timeframe.

The first release will only have US and German forces. Of the US Forces it's the usual mix of ground forces as well as Airborne. For the Germans it is limited to Heer ground forces. Waffen SS and Luftwaffe forces will be added in later Modules.

Steve

The first release will only have US and German forces. Of the US Forces it's the usual mix of ground forces as well as Airborne. For the Germans it is limited to Heer ground forces. Waffen SS and Luftwaffe forces will be added in later Modules.

Steve

A bit surprise that you don't have the SS and FJ paratroop in your first release. That won't allow any scenario against CARENTAN or ST COME DU MONT, around LESSAY, PERIERS the Mont CASTRES ...........involving heavily these troops.

SS divisions and FJ were directly engaged and or in support of the Heers units around these towns.

That suggest that we will have the coastal units and POA (russian Army of Liberation) dealing with the paratroops around the coastal objectives of UTAH and OMAHA.

From OMAHA to SAINT LO no FJ and SS encounter if I am not making a mistake. From UTAH to the Axis CARENTAN, LA CHAPELLE EN JUGER, CANISY and all the way down to AVRANCHES there were mix of forces Heer, SS and the remnants of the FJ (in particular around the RONCEY pocket).

For the sake of clarity I haven't given the OOB of the units involved, since there is no need to get into a Bren, Blast and or GI socks lenghtful issue (why not - It has been said that the most important thing a trooper has are his feet and only after its gun.....)

Cheers

Yes, you can detach the Enfield's magazine (like you can on many bolt action rifles), but I guess they never issued or used multiple magazines. Probably not that big of a deal for 5 to 10 rounds and it's certainly lighter and much cheaper than having a magazine for every 10 rounds.

I'm also not sure exactly how easy it is to detach and insert the magazine on the Enfield, it may not have been designed with ease of use in mind and more as a maintenance feature.

The magazine or rather the cartridges receiver has been designed to allow the extra capacity of the Enfield. Hence, it had to be set outside the rifle wooden stock. The receiver can be removed for cleaning, very easily. Better have it clean and lightly oiled.

On the 98K there is a plate (it can be removed for cleaning) in the bottom with a spring to push the cartridges up and close the inside rifle receiver. But since there are only 5 of them in a strip and that, is the capacity of the cartridges receiver, that plate doesn't need to protude outside of the wooden stock.

Cartridges were usually issued to individuals in pack, the size of a cigarette's packet (or bandoleer of few clips for the garand). For the German 7.92 mm the cartridges on a strip of 5, for the Garand 7.62mm (30 cal) with a clip of 8. The strip permits a quick reloading. You don't have to get the cartridge in one by one. Yet, you can do it. Crate were also distributed with cartridges in without any strip.

More, the Garand clip was ejected at the end of the firing of its 8 cartridges. That is why it was not retained.

The strip however was usually inserted in a slot of the rifle chamber. The cartridges pushed down with the thumb and the strip removed, discarded or retained for further use. That explain, why the German G 43 and or K43 were reloaded with a cartridges strip, when all the magazines were empty. The 2 magazines plus the third on the rifle were the basic combat load

Cheers

A bit surprise that you don't have the SS and FJ paratroop in your first release. That won't allow any scenario against CARENTAN or ST COME DU MONT, around LESSAY, PERIERS the Mont CASTRES ...........involving heavily these troops.

SS divisions and FJ were directly engaged and or in support of the Heers units around these towns.

That suggest that we will have the coastal units and POA (russian Army of Liberation) dealing with the paratroops around the coastal objectives of UTAH and OMAHA.

From OMAHA to SAINT LO no FJ and SS encounter if I am not making a mistake. From UTAH to the Axis CARENTAN, LA CHAPELLE EN JUGER, CANISY and all the way down to AVRANCHES there were mix of forces Heer, SS and the remnants of the FJ (in particular around the RONCEY pocket).

It's not that BFC are unaware of SS and FJ contributions, it's the logistics. To have the FJ and SS in the main title release from the get go requires a fair bit of work, I would think. There's always something we can point at and say "what about unit X?". Also, not un-importantly, including so much would severely limit content for modules.

Me? I'm surprised we even get US paras. I would have thought that they would be combined with the FJ, British Paras and the much overlooked glider troops in a single module. Throw in some extra terrain to create Arnhem and voilà, an easily marketable module right there.

Yes, people need to think in terms of the entire Family of a particular game. For the Normandy timeframe that list is HUGE. Not only in terms of all the possible equipment, but also soldier models, textures, voice effects, weapons, and the multitudes of ways all that stuff can be combined. There's simply no practical way we can put all that stuff into a single release, not to mention for a mere $45. We shouldn't even have done it for CMBO, despite everything being so much easier/cheaper to do because of the crudeness of the system (i.e. 300 polygon tanks instead of 10,000 polygon tanks).

The 1st Module will bring Commonwealth, Waffen SS, and Fallschirmjäger into the battle. The 2nd Module will support Arnhem directly, including the late 1944 Airborne TO&E (which is different than June 6 TO&E). The 3rd Module will be a "catch all" with a variety of things not yet in the game. We're leaving the exact specs for that one wide open until we get through the 2nd Module.

When a player purchases a Module it works with everything that he already has in hand. Everything. So if we have Luftwaffe Field Division units in the 3rd Module you can play a June 6 scenario against US Airborne and British Armor if you like. That's the way CM:SF works and it functions flawlessly.

Steve

Yes, you can detach the Enfield's magazine (like you can on many bolt action rifles), but I guess they never issued or used multiple magazines. Probably not that big of a deal for 5 to 10 rounds and it's certainly lighter and much cheaper than having a magazine for every 10 rounds.

We used the enfield in school cadets. All one had to do to reload it was unbolt the rifle, and then push an ammo clip through the resulting opening at the top of the rifle through to the magazine.

So there wasn't a need to carry around extra mags of ammo, just the clips.

The magazine or rather the cartridges receiver has been designed to allow the extra capacity of the Enfield. Hence, it had to be set outside the rifle wooden stock. The receiver can be removed for cleaning, very easily. Better have it clean and lightly oiled.

On the 98K there is a plate (it can be removed for cleaning) in the bottom with a spring to push the cartridges up and close the inside rifle receiver. But since there are only 5 of them in a strip and that, is the capacity of the cartridges receiver, that plate doesn't need to protude outside of the wooden stock.

[...]

Cheers

Thanks,

I know you can load the enfield through the top with a pair of 5 round stripper clips (was there ever a ten round one?), it would just seem faster to remove and insert a new magazine. I was just wondering if there was any particular reason to stick with stripper clips (aside from weight and cost). Is the detachable "magazine" even a real magazine? Or just an extension holding a few of the 10 rounds? That's what it sounds like from what you said.

More on topic,

Will the first module contain two campaigns? Maybe one for the commonwealth and one with the US vs SS or FJ units?

Also, maybe this is a bit off topic, but what sort of teams would a German rifle squad break down into. I have some idea of the fireteam like structure of US squads, but I've never really seen much about German squads.

Will there be functional AAA? Considering aircraft would have to get up close and personal to engage ground targets, could a few light AAA guns in a larger scenario make difference?

Ryujin,

Will the first module contain two campaigns? Maybe one for the commonwealth and one with the US vs SS or FJ units?

Remember that a Campaign is based on the particular release. Therefore, the initial release will have US/German only. The Commonwealth one will have Commonwealth/German only. Etc. Players, however, can make their own campaigns with whatever is available at the time. If someone wants to make a campaign that requires all four games (base + 3 Modules) that's absolutely fine with us. But we won't be making anything like that because it would be wrong for us to charge people for content in a particular release that they can't use unless they owe other releases.

Also, maybe this is a bit off topic, but what sort of teams would a German rifle squad break down into. I have some idea of the fireteam like structure of US squads, but I've never really seen much about German squads.

Germans used a two team system. One team was centered around the LMG, the other used for maneuver.

Will there be functional AAA? Considering aircraft would have to get up close and personal to engage ground targets, could a few light AAA guns in a larger scenario make difference?

AAA is still quite limited for Normandy. The way it works now is incoming air strikes have a chance of being cancelled each run they make. The chance simulates off map AAA fire, which is the most likely cause of disturbance of air attacks anyway.

Steve