You wanted pics? Here are some pics.

Mace

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Wow

Why no pics posted to this thread???

Why did you have to do that? :mad: Now the page is unreadable to me, I have to scroll. :mad:

If you really want to link pictures, then at least resize them. Or you don't even have to do that, because you could just have the thumbnail as was in the blog:

CMSF-16.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Just in case you thought things were going to be easy for the U.S. troops - did you notice in one screenshot the Abrams ammo load is listed as 20 APFSDS and only 3 HE? Yikes! After those 3 rounds are fired your expensive Abrams turns into a very heavy mg platform :D;)

Standard loadout is 50 rounds. Or is this a Wah?

The menu bar at the bottom of the 7th picture. I suppose the player has the Abrams selected though its not on-screen.

M1A1HC 57.2 tons

3 rounds HEAT

20 rounds APFSDS

100 (?) rounds .50 cal

1,100 (?) rounds of 7.62

Maybe only having 3 rounds of HEAT left would explain all that building rubble and blown-out walls in the town :D

Maybe only having 3 rounds of HEAT left would explain all that building rubble and blown-out walls in the town :D

With a basic load of 40 rounds split 50/50, using 17 of the HE is not out of the ordinary. Though I would question the basic load in that case. What us the armor threat? I wouldn't expect the tank to roll with 20 sabot and 20 HE given the nature of the conflict. Maybe 15/25.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Alpha shot vs. Alpha shot.....

I know which one I would rather be playing!!!

-tom w

No, you don't. You know which one looks better. You know jack about the gameplay of CM:SF, same as the rest of us. If you must cheerlead, at least let the teams take the field before you shake your pompoms in our faces.

In any event, even with placeholder graphics, the visuals are very good. The open ground still seems - very open, though I realize it is a desert (duh). The deformable buildings look really cool too.

Originally posted by Abbott:

Thanks for the post Mace.

No worries mate!

Steve obviously couldn't sleep and made that post in the small hours of the morning US EST. That however co-incides with my evening and I just happened to be checking out the blog then to see what's up.

Some quick answers:

Everything you see in the shots is still subject to change, some more than others. Also not that a healthy amount of icons are missing from the main UI. Charles simply hasn't had a chance to hook up everything yet.

Stryke Force... well, that's what you get when you hire Germans to do your PR for you :D

The map was thrown together pretty quickly just to showcase a few things, not to look like a "real" map. We're also still pretty new to all of this and that means a little time is needed to produce really neat ones.

Ground details were purposefully kept to a minimum since there was a lot of stuff changing (i.e. being added/modified) when Martin made these shots. I'm going to do the next batch and it will focus on natural features.

The buildings will be more pretty "plain" compared to the hand crafted buildings in games like BF2 and the other recent FPS games. That's the price that one pays for map editor flexibility. Having said that, Fernando is currently making a bunch of different sets of textures. Oh, and note that you can control what each wall on each floor looks like (see differences in the screenshots).

The "floating" icons over the units are so you can keep track of and select them easier. Even though the HUD display at the top of the screen shows where units are, the icons allow you to find them within the sometimes very cluttered 3D environment. It also is REALLY cool when you have guys riding in buttoned up Strykers because you can see what types of units are in them without having to click on 'em. The icons themselves are final artwork. NATO stuff, and a general expansion of how the icons work, will have to wait for another day.

The highlights under the units themselves are so you can see where everybody is and know exactly who is part of the selected unit. As you can see from somem of the shots, the color changes depending on Morale state.

Steve

Just in case you thought things were going to be easy for the U.S. troops - did you notice in one screenshot the Abrams ammo load is listed as 20 APFSDS and only 3 HE? Yikes! After those 3 rounds are fired your expensive Abrams turns into a very heavy mg platform :D;)

If the pictures are shown in the order that they were taken, that shot is after the ones showing levelled buildings. Maybe they used a good chunk of the HE doing that.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Some remarks:

</font>

• Those slat cages seem to become an aliasing nightmare!!</font>
  • Would have liked to see some higher level (2 or 3) screen-shots! The screens make it look like an FPS!</font>
  • The collapsed buildings should leave behind a larger heap of debris, not?</font>
  • The vegetation looks very good already! Would love to see more!</font>

Best regards,

Thomm

The menu bar at the bottom of the 7th picture. I suppose the player has the Abrams selected though its not on-screen.

also in the same picture, some more indication of the orders menu for vehicles:

- target, target light, target arc, clear target, face -

Seems all quite straightforward, but I wonder what target light means? :confused:

And the little bars below the tank icon tell us that the Abrams a big strong tank but is a nightmare when trying to find a parking spot? Or is that 'turning' a reference to turret speed?

Oh yes, and great pics indeed, by the way! :D