You wanted pics? Here are some pics.

Mace

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red cross symbol over the dead/wounded soldier - how does that work in the game? I know we talked at length about casualties and IIRC one of the ideas brought up was that maybe we'd have X amount of time to move a medic to the position of the casualty to simulate evacuating him. Is that what we're seeing?

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

The red cross symbol over the dead/wounded soldier - how does that work in the game? I know we talked at length about casualties and IIRC one of the ideas brought up was that maybe we'd have X amount of time to move a medic to the position of the casualty to simulate evacuating him. Is that what we're seeing?

There was a suggestion by Other Means that casualties be represented by an actual figure that would lie on the ground and be considered "evacuated" if within some sort of command radius for a certain amount of time. This suggestion was a compromise of sorts between casualties being represented by only an abstract symbol such as a Red Cross and full control of Medics, which Battlefront was always completely against as being difficult to code and a distraction from what is, after all, a war game.

Steve said Other Means' suggestion would be considered, and that’s the source of the quote in Other Means' Sig. All we can assume is that

Casualties are represented by more then a Red Cross (unless Steve wants to give us another bone, hmmm). :cool:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Alpha shot vs. Alpha shot.....

I know which one I would rather be playing!!!

-tom w

No, you don't. You know which one looks better. You know jack about the gameplay of CM:SF, same as the rest of us. If you must cheerlead, at least let the teams take the field before you shake your pompoms in our faces.

In any event, even with placeholder graphics, the visuals are very good. The open ground still seems - very open, though I realize it is a desert (duh). The deformable buildings look really cool too. </font>

Check out the ejected casings from that remote .50 cal.

That one pic of the syrians looking out the window (taken from INside the building looking over the shoulders of the troopers) . . . notice the Abrams looking right back.

smile.gif

Like it wasn't enough, I won't buy the game if there aren't any interior elements such as a bed, desk, oriental carpet, TV, high end laptop computer with Battlefront.com animated screensaver on it, or any Fooby kamikaze watermelon to toss against the enemy in the fridge in the upper left corner of each room., I WON'T BUY THIS GAME. ;)

Please, I need support of interior grogs at once here. :D

Screenies look good. But then so did Battlefield 2, but the topic didn't hold my FPS multiplayer playing personality when compared to the less featured, but infinitely cooler COD2.

I'm still holding back on prejudging CMSF, I can't wait for the demo.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm a fool for hoping I'll like it. You can have the greatest game-play in the world, but if the topic isn't interesting...

For a larf, I took a look at the stats on Boargamegeek for the top rated wargames with 99 votes or more. By far the era that is both most prolific by number of titles and most popular by number of votes is WWII. This doesn't mean much, except that maybe the majority of tabletop wargamers prefer to play WWII. It doesn't translate over to PC wargamers, does it?

:D

Era Data Total

1812 Count of Era 1

Sum of Votes 330

7 Yrs War Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 701

American Civil War Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 1635

American Revolution Count of Era 1

Sum of Votes 117

Ancients Count of Era 4

Sum of Votes 1576

Cold War Count of Era 1

Sum of Votes 598

Fantasy Count of Era 4

Sum of Votes 961

Fantasy/LOTR Count of Era 1

Sum of Votes 2070

Medieval Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 1077

Renaissance Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 1651

Sci Fi Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 1539

Vietnam Count of Era 2

Sum of Votes 218

WWI Count of Era 1

Sum of Votes 666

WWII Count of Era 10

Sum of Votes 6065

Title / Rating/Votes / Era

Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972 / 8.45/106 / Vietnam

Twilight Struggle / 8.22/598 / Cold War

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage / 8.22/609 / Ancients

Commands & Colors: Ancients / 8.19/737 / Ancients

Paths of Glory / 8.14/666 / WWI

Europe Engulfed / 8.11/400 / WWII

Here I Stand / 8.06/185 / Renaissance

EastFront / 8.05/289 / WWII

War of the Ring / 8.03/2070 / Fantasy/LOTR

Great Battles of Alexander, The: Deluxe Edition / 8.01/110 / Ancients

Up Front / 8/549 / WWII

Wallenstein / 7.97/1466 / Renaissance

Wilderness War / 7.96/308 / 7 Yrs War

Bonaparte at Marengo / 7.95/330 / 1812

Rommel in the Desert / 7.93/263 / WWII

Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) / 7.91/739 / WWII

Hammer of the Scots / 7.91/851 / Medieval

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition / 7.89/1388 / Sci Fi

Warmachine / 7.89/240 / Fantasy

Memoir '44 / 7.87/3161 / WWII

Friedrich / 7.85/393 / 7 Yrs War

Battleground: Fantasy Warfare / 7.85/220 / Fantasy

Breakout: Normandy / 7.84/271 / WWII

Totaler Krieg! / 7.82/115 / WWII

Full Métal Planète / 7.76/151 / Sci Fi

Lock 'N Load: Forgotten Heroes Vietnam / 7.68/112 / Vietnam

SPQR / 7.65/120 / Ancients

RAF / 7.64/179 / WWII

Warrior Knights / 7.62/389 / Fantasy

Flames of War / 7.61/99 / WWII

Crusader Rex / 7.6/226 / Medieval

Warangel / 7.6/112 / Fantasy

Liberty / 7.56/117 / American Revolution

Civil War, the / 7.55/232 / American Civil War

Battle Cry / 7.51/1403 / American Civil War

J Ruddy. I think no war will ever surpass WWII for its interesting variety of weapons and locations (not to mention great villians). But I can understand Battlefront's desire to try something new. Battlefront has stated, however, that only two of its first 5 CMX2 games will be WWII. They've not given the slightest hint what the other two subjects might be. Ancients and Fantasy tie for second on your list. I doubt ancients. I'm more inclined to make a wild guess for American Civil War. Fantasy is hot these days though. We might see Combat Mission: Elves vs Orcs. :D

Oh I know these guys needed to do something other than WWII for the sake of their own sanity, and I agree with the comment somewhere on some thread that they might as well start with the most complex then simplify. I just don't think I have much desire to play USA vs Syria/Iran/Etc... I used to think that at least I could have fun as the Syrians, but now that my Brother-in-law is in Afghanistan I'm not so sure. Based on CMBB & CMAK I absolutely will try the demo.

I'd rather be waiting for one of these though...

CM: Rome vs Carthage

CM: Space Lobsters

CM: American Revolution

CM: American Civil War

CM: 1812

Or even a game based on a Harry Turtledove style alternate reality.

*meh* maybe I'm just grumpy 'cause it's Monday. :D

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

Any order of preference?

I think Drop Team will fulfill Battlefront's contribution to Space Lobsters.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

There was a suggestion by Other Means that casualties be represented by an actual figure that would lie on the ground and be considered "evacuated" if within some sort of command radius for a certain amount of time. This suggestion was a compromise of sorts between casualties being represented by only an abstract symbol such as a Red Cross and full control of Medics, which Battlefront was always completely against as being difficult to code and a distraction from what is, after all, a war game.

Steve said Other Means' suggestion would be considered, and that’s the source of the quote in Other Means' Sig. All we can assume is that

Casualties are represented by more then a Red Cross (unless Steve wants to give us another bone, hmmm). :cool: </font>

Originally posted by Patrocles:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Casualties are represented by more then a Red Cross (unless Steve wants to give us another bone, hmmm). :cool: </font>

Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Ruddy:

Any order of preference?

I think Drop Team will fulfill Battlefront's contribution to Space Lobsters. </font>