Place your bets on the Front

Canada Guy

Originally posted by Baneman:

Well, with some winter texturing thrown in, you could stretch France 1940 into Norway too...

Plenty of Brits in both those and it would be nice to have some modelling of the more under-represented theatres (trend is usually forward, so if they start in 1941, say, there's probably little chance that they'll revisit earlier theatres.)

( looks around ) - don't see many 'Mericuns around here ( Edinburgh ). I thought most of this board was Canadian ?

Or is that just the loud portion ? tongue.gif

They went back in timein CMBB compared to CMBO.

smile.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by V:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Baneman:

Well, with some winter texturing thrown in, you could stretch France 1940 into Norway too...

Plenty of Brits in both those and it would be nice to have some modelling of the more under-represented theatres (trend is usually forward, so if they start in 1941, say, there's probably little chance that they'll revisit earlier theatres.)

( looks around ) - don't see many 'Mericuns around here ( Edinburgh ). I thought most of this board was Canadian ?

Or is that just the loud portion ? tongue.gif

They went back in timein CMBB compared to CMBO.

smile.gif </font>

1st Game; Combat Mission: Hogan’s Heroes. It’s got Americans, a Brit, a French guy and likeable Germans, plus SS and Gestapo.

2nd Game; Combat Mission: McHale’s Navy. Americans again but you get a likeable Japanese guy too and you cover both the Pacific and Italy.

3rd Game; Combat Mission: M.A.S.H. Battlefront finally takes on Korea. For the most part Americans only on the Allied side but you get Helicopters and nurses and a crossdresser. Think of the Uniform Mods Andrew can make for Klinger.

That ends the War Comedy Trilogy. Notice there were no war comedies about Viet Nam. World War II and Korea were funnier I guess.

The results are in:

Normandy [Hushed Voice]Conservatives[/Hushed Voice] 17,938

[Loud clapping and exuberant joy in the background]

Kip Anderson [Hushed Voice]League for the Liberation from WW2 Oppression in Gaming[/Hushed Voice] 11,241

Mr Peng [Hushed Voice]Crazy as a treeful of rats[/Hushed Voice] 915

Indo-Pakistan War, 1965. Expansion pack will add 1971 conflict (Eastern Front) and 1999 (Kargil)

Well, why not? Must be plenty of geeks in Bangalore who have the money to buy it...

GMV is out of consideration as a funny due to having Mr Robin Williams. The least funny comedian ever. And not even unfunny in a good way like Tommy Cooper.

In reference to the movie Kelly's Heroes,

Dillweed wrote:

"You know, that isn't a bad idea for an operation"

In fact, somebody out there made such an Op

for CMBO...and then, I believe, they remade

it for CMAK...it has Oddball & his Shermans,

the Tiger at the Bank...

Me, I always wanted to do "1941" as an Op, but it takes all kinds...

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

And not even unfunny in a good way like Tommy Cooper.

A policeman stopped me the other night, he taps on the window of the car and says: 'Would you please blow into this bag, Sir'. I said: 'What for, Officer?' He says: 'My chips are too hot'.

I went to the doctor. He said 'you've got a very serious illness'. I said 'I want a second opinion'. He said 'all right, you're ugly as well'.

The man was a genius smile.gif </font>

I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this is old news, but I spotted this quote from Battlefront in an interview with "www.the wargamer.com" about the then upcoming CMAK dated 09/12/2003: -

WG: Will any of the improvements developed for Combat Mission: Afrika Korps be available in patches to Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord or Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin?

MB: No, because CMAK is not a simple "patch" to the existing CM engine. It really is a new game, with new underlying core mechanics, that are not easily ported to the previous two titles. None of the existing scenarios and battles and mods for CMBO and CMBB would work with the CMAK engine, besides the fact that it would take months to generate such a patch file. We are eventually going to revisit the Western and Eastern Fronts after finishing the new engine we're currently working on as well. Expected timeframe: a couple of years I would guess.

I can't believe I've missed this. They told us it would be Western Europe for release 1 and Eastern Europe for release 2 back in 2003!

I rest my case.

That's not a very clear statement. Martin is quoted as saying that yes, they will revisit WW2 but doesn't specifically state that it'll be the first and 2nd game with the new engine.

'After we finish working on the new engine' could be interpreted as the first game, or as the 3rd or 4th game with the new engine. Really can't tell for sure from that one quote.

I cannot believe that we missed it. I met Steve at a gamers convention and he said that it would actually be the first war, i.e. two cavemen, but it would take a long time to complete because they wanted to model each hair on the mammoth togas as accurately as possible.

All I know is that I am currently working on a 6x4km scenario (Sept 1944 Near Riga) and after all this research, I would like to be able to port it to the new engine in the future. Even if that future is a few years away.