Place your bets on the Front

Canada Guy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dumrox:

I'll go with main game being Normandy invasion through breakout, US forces only.

1st "expansion pack" being the British Invasion covering Eastern Normandy/Caen and maybe Market Garden.

2nd pack covers Bulge and related fighting.

Im pretty sure I read not too long ago Steve saying that out of the first 5 upcoming releases, 3 won't be set in WW2. And out of the first 2, 1 won't be WW2.

So that rules out your theory.

Originally posted by Scipio:

I bet it will be Operation Overlord, with the US on the Allies side, followed by a Module with the Thomys and Canucks.

I bet it will be Operation Overlord, with the Finns on the Allied side and the Canucks on the Axis side. I also bet Dorosh's head will explode.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

I bet it will be Operation Overlord, with the US on the Allies side, followed by a Module with the Thomys and Canucks.

I bet it will be Operation Overlord, with the Finns on the Allied side and the Canucks on the Axis side. I also bet Dorosh's head will explode. </font>

I recall BFC saying (a million years ago) that it wouldn't be worth their while to reinvent the wheel by simply doing CMBO over with the new engine. Wouldn't Normandy/Bulge/Paris modules be classed as reinventing the wheel?

Therefore my (uninformed) guess would say they stick to WWII but it would be Bittzkrieg 1939-1940. One module might be the German drive into France. Another might add the smaller combatants, another might have early war invasion of Poland - maybe even with horses! :D;)

Well, lets face it, if they do anything where US forces are not involved, they will probably face the sales figures from hell in the US market. No one wants that.

So that rules out Finland, France, and ...my personal favourite I might add...Italians vs Greeks, with the Italians in Albania module coming 5 months later.

The pacific is out for other reasons, and that leaves US forces in Europe. Hmm...Sicily or Italy or France or Bulge (Im pretending Ive never heard of Torch).

My bet is France because its already been researched to hell and back, and because its pretty much a given sales success.

Although, it could be Sicily. Im holding that one as a distant second.

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Well, lets face it, if they do anything where US forces are not involved, they will probably face the sales figures from hell in the US market. No one wants that.

So that rules out Finland, France, and ...my personal favourite I might add...Italians vs Greeks, with the Italians in Albania module coming 5 months later.

The pacific is out for other reasons, and that leaves US forces in Europe. Hmm...Sicily or Italy or France or Bulge (Im pretending Ive never heard of Torch).

My bet is France because its already been researched to hell and back, and because its pretty much a given sales success.

Although, it could be Sicily. Im holding that one as a distant second.

Right, Finland 1939 it is, then. I wonder how many times I can say it before the thread gets locked?

Leutnant Hortlund,

Why not Korea then? It features Americans, has the potential to add both the Chinese modules and the UN Forces? The terrain in Korea is more like Europe in many ways as opposed to the steaming jungles of the PTO. You also have many of the same vehicles that were modeled in CMBB. It is definitely not an area that has been gamed much and if BFC wants to attract more people than just us crazies, what better way to do then but by adding a game that has not been done to death. I think it would also lend itself to small unit tactics and it has water which BFC seems to love.

From sales view, it could be Korea or a hypothetical Cold War setting. 'Kill a commie for mommie' is still a popular sport in the US.

But it could be a Middel East setting as well. 'Headhunting the Arabs' is possibly more popular right now?

personally i would love a remake of CMBB (russians vs germans, a great mix, and a great mix of vehicles)

But, it *could* be the italian campaign, heres my logic :

its got the germans,brits and yanks in and everyone loves playing as one of them.

its not been done, so it should fit into this hersy about that it won't be a CMBO remake.

you get to use Tiger tanks...come on, whats the point of spending years making a great new engine if you can't drive a tiger tank around? smile.gif

but if its not then, it will be a cmbo remake, tho if we are lucky it could be a 1939 - 1945 western front sim...thing...

Originally posted by Matthias:

personally i would love a remake of CMBB (russians vs germans, a great mix, and a great mix of vehicles)

But, it *could* be the italian campaign, heres my logic :

its got the germans,brits and yanks in and everyone loves playing as one of them.

its not been done, so it should fit into this hersy about that it won't be a CMBO remake.

you get to use Tiger tanks...come on, whats the point of spending years making a great new engine if you can't drive a tiger tank around? smile.gif

but if its not then, it will be a cmbo remake, tho if we are lucky it could be a 1939 - 1945 western front sim...thing...

It has been stated explicitly several times now, by Steve (the guy making the game) that the new titles will be limited in scope. No entire nationality orders of battle.

As to the question about Tigers;

a) most WW II combatants, even including those serving in elite German units, never or rarely saw a Tiger (outside of the soldatenkino) so it's really not that important

B) CM is an infantry game (fitting, since WW II was an infantryman's war, by and large)

c) a little thing called game balance generally prevents one from really wanting to take on Tigers with outmatched opponents on a regular basis

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

B) CM is an infantry game (fitting, since WW II was an infantryman's war, by and large)

I'd be more inclined to call CM as a combined arms game.

Now, of course what would be the point of having the new engine other than being able to drive around in your T-26's?

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd be more inclined to call CM as a combined arms game.

Now, of course what would be the point of having the new engine other than being able to drive around in your T-26's? </font>