Place your bets on the Front

Canada Guy

Since we have some time before BFC releases info on what front CMx2 will occur in, I thought it would be fun to see what everbody thinks the choice will be.

I do not mean what front you would like to see CMx2 in, but rather what you think BFC will choose.

Most Likely choice: Battle of the Buldge

Second Most Likely: Korea

Snowballs chance in hell: Falklands

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread may not be life altering but I am replying to three guys (Stoat, DogFace and K.A. Miles) who had nothing better to do on a Saturday night except reply to this thread.

This is just something to while away the time until we get some concrete news. Apparently I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night either but to reply to you. ;)

The Great El Salvador Football (Soccer for those pesky 'Mericans) War of 1969! What the hell else would it be? Realize the advantages of this conflict:

1) Since it was only 4 days long- it is very modular which fits the goal of BFC. This is the first in a long series of mini-conflicts.

2) A good share of the units are already modeled. Thanks to CMAK we have a P-51 for air strikes and infantry units equipped with WWII era weapons.

3) Morale and unit quality can be based on Russian circa 1941 forces ("Run Away!") from CMBB.

Hey, new guy from Saskatoon, do a search on FINLAND 1939. The first module will be Eastern Front 1939 - the logic is inescapable. I am talking the Winter War 1939-40 between Finland and the Soviet Union, as well as the Russian invasion of Poland in late September 1939, and fictional scenarios depicting fighting during the annexation of the Baltics (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia).

a) deep research has already been done on all the units to be involved, without a need to catalogue 5000 different German AFV types, ausfs and sub-models

B) Finns make up a large proportion of BF.C's clientelle

c) Winter War has not had any major treatment in PC tactical battle simulations

d) would be a natural lead in to a German early war module 1939-40

e) can also be used to include the Japanese in a further update, with fictional battles in Siberia

Looking forward to it.

Going by their past, I'd say:

1st A western front replacement of CMBO, only it should be 1940-45 to include as yet uncovered France 40 as well.

2nd east front 39-45 including the winter war.

3rd, if north africa is covered in the first, then maybe finally go to the pacific that they really aren't interested in. Or, the other possibility would be 1946-67 to cover Korea & MidEast & Europe.

So when might the new engine come out, next year or the year after? In the meantime I hear CMAK hit the shelves at Electronique Boutique, so I talked a friend into getting it.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Since Steve loves water, at least the first module will be the invasion (if not already included in the game).

Yeah but then again crawfishes are like small lobsters and you can find them in streams. That leaves us with somes options.

Hi,

Agree with those who think the obvious will be the route followed by BFC.

My money is on NWE, Normandy or Bulge. With a module to follow no doubt both will be done.

The two really big subjects in wargames have always been NWE and Eastern Front, I would be shocked if one or both are not in the first two games to be announced. ( BTW… I certainly do “not” mean the Winter War or Finnish front. Far too niche market to make a splash… does not interest me for a start ;) )

All the best,

Kip.

PS. In CMX2 the three big games will be NWE, Eastern Front and a contemporary/modern setting… that is my bet… smile.gif )

Originally posted by CanadaGuy:

This thread may not be life altering but I am replying to three guys (Stoat, DogFace and K.A. Miles) who had nothing better to do on a Saturday night except reply to this thread.

This is just something to while away the time until we get some concrete news. Apparently I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night either but to reply to you. ;)

You got me. And apparently on Sunday morning, too.

Hey, Dogface. You know, during the 1990s, the Armed Forces and Radio and Television Service used to run historical spots (in place of commercials) between programs; one of them dealt with your "Pig War"--wasn't that some disupute between Americans and Brits (up in your territory, Washington state) caused by pigs from one side invading another??

Just how many people do you expect to be familiar with that little incident, may I ask? (Respectfully)

[ September 25, 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Hermitage ]

I think I would be very pleased if the suggestion given by Mr. Dorosh (Finn front 39-40) would be correct. I have always loved playing Finn scenarios in ASL and have tried to model them in CMBB (without much success).

Even though I am not a big fan of it though, I will put my money on NWE (Bulge with modules for Commonwealth, Normandy and final push into Germany), with a side bet on Korea (Game on initial war with modules on Chinese and UN forces).

I would be pleased as punch though if you are right Michael.

Well, with some winter texturing thrown in, you could stretch France 1940 into Norway too...

Plenty of Brits in both those and it would be nice to have some modelling of the more under-represented theatres (trend is usually forward, so if they start in 1941, say, there's probably little chance that they'll revisit earlier theatres.)

( looks around ) - don't see many 'Mericuns around here ( Edinburgh ). I thought most of this board was Canadian ?

Or is that just the loud portion ? tongue.gif