Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

On 5/23/2024 at 8:37 AM, Thomm said:

Interesting article about the decline of interest in strategy games (found on the Grogheads forum).

https://www.ign.com/articles/gamers-are-becoming-less-interested-in-games-with-deep-strategy-study-finds

:rolleyes: Riiiiight, and what do these bone heads consider strategy? IGN is complete garbage and has been that way forever. 

"Capes, a gritty turn-based strategy role-playing game about villains ruling the streets"

7 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Probably the last bone for BP2 before release. A small thing, but the main menu screen is getting cluttered. :P 

cmnormandy.exeScreenshot2024_05_25-11_31_25_48.png.727939dddef773d58dfda905e6b555fc.png

Is dementia coming in fast? Or did I miss something? What is the eagle symbol for, please?

2 hours ago, wolfgang500 said:

Is dementia coming in fast? Or did I miss something? What is the eagle symbol for, please?

The eagle symbol is the BP2 main menu icon once you have it installed. (Diamond's are packs, circles are modules). It's also the screaming eagle divisional patch for the 101st Airborne that this pack follows the exploits quite a bit.

31 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

The eagle symbol is the BP2 main menu icon once you have it installed. (Diamond's are packs, circles are modules). It's also the screaming eagle divisional patch for the 101st Airborne that this pack follows the exploits quite a bit.

Cool choice @Ithikial_AU the eagle sign, thank you for your job..., in a closing future another sign of the 82 or a simple infant div,... 

ok about them 82 we have already the wonder full job from @WimO  (😉)

also the form of the "addons" bfc team, staff, member, think already to all, cannot wait to see it also on my screen !!

11 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Probably the last bone for BP2 before release. A small thing, but the main menu screen is getting cluttered. :P 

cmnormandy.exeScreenshot2024_05_25-11_31_25_48.png.727939dddef773d58dfda905e6b555fc.png

You know the old Chinese saying:

"May your Menu Screen be overly cluttered with expansions." 😁

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Probus said:

You know the old Chinese saying:

"May your Menu Screen be overly cluttered with expansions." 😁

"cluttered with expansions", is a good sentence to represent the people...

Edited by JM Stuff

19 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Got it, thank you!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Its also the name of my Foghat cover band.

If we are talking about music than you are my friend, and can said that the only bands that I know in the "same" style could be I said could be, ZZTop, James Gang, Boston, Sweet, Brownswillestation, Jethro Tull, or Montrose, Great While,... I was not very interrested to these style of music, but I am open for all noises, and turn to  the 80 goth dark cold new wave bands...

If we want talking about music there is an exelent thread here !

Edited by JM Stuff

On 5/29/2024 at 10:03 PM, Thewood1 said:

It was a joke.  You might be a little too literal.

...maybe, but the thread of the music is real, and I suggest taking a look and giving it a listen.

23 hours ago, callada said:

A lonely, sad computer nerd. The tears I cry... Shed for no news of Combat Mission.

Come on mate. It's not too late and the weather is great.

Summer is here and the pub is near so your mission is clear.

Forget the game and all those flicks. 'Tis the time to go out with chicks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is this guy and his team that made a very in depth documentary about WW1 and WW2 (The most in depth i ever seen, week by week) and he started a series about the Korean war.

Korean War with Indy Neidell

I know little about this conflict, only the outcome and that MacArthur did wild sea landing deep behind enemy lines. Now that i see the first couple of weeks of the war in this channel i wonder why don't we have a Korean war CM? Its more suited for the CM style than what wars start to become nowadays. Its basically a soviet union against USA from WW2 plus some new weapons.  Is there any chance of a CM:Korea in the future?

12 minutes ago, omae2 said:

Is there any chance of a CM:Korea in the future?

Just for info, @kohlenklau produced a Korea mod

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-fortress-italy/cmfi-other/cmfi-korea-1950-mod/

but had to 'fake' a few things by reassigning vehicles etc. to new graphics.  The download says it only has one scenario but I think there were additional ones later.  I'd point you at his efforts but he is not with us at the moment - he's having a break playing VASL instead and so far I've not persuaded him to return.  I'll keep trying though.

3 hours ago, omae2 said:

Is there any chance of a CM:Korea in the future?

Not in the near future, no. I was one of the ones specifically suggesting that Korea would be the logical place to go next after Downfall, until Steve stepped in and said it wasn't happening.

As to why, mainly it comes down to priorities. They're a small team that can only do so much at once*. Given infinite time I'm sure they'll eventually get around to covering every single real and hypothetical war in human history. But infinite time hasn't passed yet.

*And I should clarify what I mean by "small". Most people here know that Battlefront is a small company, but I don't think very many appreciate how small. I work for a "small" company with less than 200 employees. Battlefront isn't small like my company is small. I remember Steve saying at one point that Battlefront has about half a dozen employees. Barely more people than you could count on one hand. And somehow this small handful of people has managed to bring us the most realistic tactical wargame of all time. And, while they don't release sales or budget information, I get the distinct impression that they've basically been working with a shoestring budget this whole time. It's hard to overstate just how impressive of an accomplishment Combat Mission really is.

1 minute ago, Probus said:

Would it be more appropriate to make a Korea mod out of CMCW? I know CMCW was not available at the time but I am thinking it may be a better fit now.

The WW2 titles are definitely a lot closer. The Korean War was about 5 years removed from WW2, but it's about 30 years removed from the timeframe of CMCW. Nearly all of the equipment that was in service in Korea had been in service since WW2. Very little of the equipment that was in service in Korea was still in service by 1979.