Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

2 hours ago, DesertFox said:

70s-89 would be my dream, however since it is not with the next module, that might be a few years away still.

If it takes 2 years per module, and they follow the pattern I described (forward next to 85, then back to 72, then forward to 89, then back to 67) then it will take another 6 years to get to 89. So even under the optimistic assumption that we will ever get the late 80s at all (there seems to be a surprising amount of pushback on the idea (and the way things are going in Ukraine a future update to CMBS might give us Leo2A4s vs T80Us anyway)), it is going to be a while.

But what the heck. Since it's a testable prediction that I can't backpaddle on if it turns out that I'm wrong I'm going to go ahead at call it for 6 years to 89. That will be 2029, so we will get to play out the events exactly 40 years after they didn't take place.

Edited by Centurian52

I've been retired now for about a year and a half and I'm absolutely loving it. But I can't play CM all day. There are too many other things I'm really interested in. For example (not in order):

* I'm 66 and been a competitive runner since I was 18. Lymphoma took a bite out of that but I'm back at it again and feeling good. But at this age I'm much slower and need more rest after pushing myself.

* My model railroad

* Amateur radio

* Reading

* Piano

* Guitar

* Things my wife and I like to do together (she's retired and has her own interests too). This should really be higher up the list 😀

* Other games (yes, there are others, haha)

You guys wait until you retire. You'll see. I mean, still not having time for everything is a good problem because now "everything" is only stuff you WANT to do. The good news is I won't be bored in retirement!

Dave

I decided to browse through Battle Order's videos to see what we've got to look forward to. This is the British rifle section we'll have through this timeframe (saved the video URL at the timestamp for the late 60s-mid 80s section): 

So it looks like an 8 man rifle section consisting of a four man rifle group (plus the section leader) and a three man GPMG group (including the 2IC). That'll be five L1A1 rifles in the rifle group, with two of the riflemen being equipped with L1A1 rockets (M72 LAWs) by default, with a possibility of equipping more of them with L1A1 rockets. And two L1A1 rifles and an L7A1 GPMG in the GPMG group. As we get into the 80s it looks like one of the L1A1 rockets is replaced by the L14A1 MAW recoilless rifle (Carl Gustav) with the MAW gunner's rifle being replaced by the Sterling SMG.

Should be interesting.

Edited by Centurian52

On 2/13/2023 at 3:29 PM, Ultradave said:

I've been retired now for about a year and a half and I'm absolutely loving it. But I can't play CM all day. There are too many other things I'm really interested in. For example (not in order):

* I'm 66 and been a competitive runner since I was 18. Lymphoma took a bite out of that but I'm back at it again and feeling good. But at this age I'm much slower and need more rest after pushing myself.

* My model railroad

* Amateur radio

* Reading

* Piano

* Guitar

* Things my wife and I like to do together (she's retired and has her own interests too). This should really be higher up the list 😀

* Other games (yes, there are others, haha)

You guys wait until you retire. You'll see. I mean, still not having time for everything is a good problem because now "everything" is only stuff you WANT to do. The good news is I won't be bored in retirement!

Dave

My father is 90 now and some time after retirement, he once said something along the lines of "I'm so busy now that I never get anything done" (wish I could remember it exactly as it was much funnier).

On 2/14/2023 at 7:32 PM, Centurian52 said:

As we get into the 80s it looks like one of the L1A1 rockets is replaced by the L14A1 MAW recoilless rifle (Carl Gustav) with the MAW gunner's rifle being replaced by the Sterling SMG.

Should be interesting.

Nope, the Charlie G (Carl Gustav) came in before the 80s - off the top of my head, all of the British infantry TO&Es have Charlie G for the time period of the module.

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Nope, the Charlie G (Carl Gustav) came in before the 80s - off the top of my head, all of the British infantry TO&Es have Charlie G for the time period of the module.

I just rewatched Battle Order's video, and you're right. He says they have the MAW "by" 1980, meaning they've had it since before 1980. But he also says that mainly applies to the mechanized infantry in practice. In the light infantry it is supposedly more common for the MAW to be a platoon level asset, not a squad level asset.

I'm digging for details on the Canadian army. Leopard 1 for the tanks as we already know (Leopard C1 specifically, which Wikipedia states is equivalent to the Leopard 1A3 with a laser rangefinder (I'm stoked to be getting both the Chieftain and the Leopard 1 in the same module!)). Although apparently Canada acquired those Leopard 1s in 1978, so I think that means Centurions in 1976 and 1977 (probably still some Centurions left over later on). For small arms they have their own FN FALoid, the FN C1, and the FN C2 for their squad LMG (C1 modified for the LMG role (automatic fire capability, heavier barrel, fold out bipod (I believe this makes the Canadians the first NATO force we're getting without a GPMG))). I'm not sure where to find information on specific squad and platoon organization. Anyone got any more details?

Edited by Centurian52

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm digging for details on the Canadian army. Leopard 1 for the tanks as we already know (Leopard C1 specifically, which Wikipedia states is equivalent to the Leopard 1A3 with a laser rangefinder (I'm stoked to be getting both the Chieftain and the Leopard 1 in the same module!)). Although apparently Canada acquired those Leopard 1s in 1978, so I think that means Centurions in 1976 and 1977 (probably still some Centurions left over later on). For small arms they have their own FN FALoid, the FN C1, and the FN C2 for their squad LMG (C1 modified for the LMG role (automatic fire capability, heavier barrel, fold out bipod (I believe this makes the Canadians the first NATO force we're getting without a GPMG))). I'm not sure where to find information on specific squad and platoon organization. Anyone got any more details?

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/weapons/lightweapons/machineguns/c5machinegun.htm

Tabletop game sites are also pretty good at this stuff.

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/free-nations-infantry/52830-canadian-mechanised-platoon

Edited by The_Capt

On 2/17/2023 at 6:39 PM, Centurian52 said:

I just rewatched Battle Order's video, and you're right. He says they have the MAW "by" 1980, meaning they've had it since before 1980. But he also says that mainly applies to the mechanized infantry in practice. In the light infantry it is supposedly more common for the MAW to be a platoon level asset, not a squad level asset.

Well, he's wrong then.  The British Army's Staff Officer's Handbook for 1978 has the same allocation of Charlie G in both Mech and  Type A and B light role battalions - 36 in the battalion, 9 in the company, and 3 in the platoon.   Moving forward in time, I was a reservist in a light role infantry battalion in 1984 and every rifle section had a Charlie G which I may or may not have had to cart around 😉.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:38 AM, Combatintman said:

Canadians had the M2 since the 60s. This was not a new weapon.  Lugging a “big empty tube” on training was always fun.

Yesssss! My dream was confronting the Red Horde with a troop of Chieftains, partly because they're cool but also because they fit my lethargic playing style. And now it's coming true! 

The Canadians are a nice bonus. I assume they're bringing their Centurions and their own accent(s) for the speech pack.

The Chieftain Main Battle Tank – The Hawks

Edited by Duckman

On 2/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, Ultradave said:

I’ve been retired now for about a year and a half and I'm absolutely loving it. But I can't play CM all day. There are too many other things I'm really interested in.

Great to hear Ultradave! And a most excellent chance you will feel exactly the same way ten years on. At least from my own experience. Something else for those still upholding civilization as we know it: years ago several of my closest longtime colleagues/friends were thinking hard and planning for when to pull the “ripcord.” Inevitably we would talk about what we would be doing, after.  I’ve not forgotten what one of them said. “A lot of guys say they are going to *start* doing all sorts of new and exciting things they’ve never made time for. But really, most people never do anything they haven’t already *been* doing.” I think there is a kernel of truth there, even though it isn’t 100% the case for everyone. The message is that guys who don’t have much else going on besides work, are often the ones at loose ends or worse after they retire. It’s a good idea to have cultivated some pursuits apart from work before you retire. You guys here already have that with CM and related stuff. Ultradave’s list though is a good example of a broader life outside of career that can make these later years flourish.