Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

On 1/17/2024 at 1:00 AM, danfrodo said:

Professional humor there, well done 😁

I know some folks would say that by 1985 & 1989 the NATO side would be overpowered relative to warsaw pact. What is wrong with that?  Recent events make me very much want to kick the living daylights out of some RU forces.  

Can second that. Maybe we will get to that point in the next module. But the more important point IMHO is to get East- and West-German troops combined with Belgian and Dutch troops into the game. 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:40 PM, Rob2020 said:

As a long-time player of CM1, years ago, I've only dabbled with the demos for CMA and CMBS, so take this comment with a grain of salt, but why all the rage for the 1980's? I wouldn't mind going back to the 1950's-1970's.

For me, I think from an immersion standpoint, 1983-1984 would be the sweet spot simply because I can rationalize a conflict actually breaking out due to the Soviets perceived threat that came with Able Archer as well as the aftermath of the downing of Korean Airlines flight 007. 

As you move backwards on the timeline, there was less emphasis placed on standing militaries and more on nuclear arsenals. The pentomic structure immediately comes to mind. There was still some cool equipment at the time, but the focus was more on dropping bombs and destroying large areas then it was on combined arms warfare, which is what we're all here for.

The mid to late 1980s saw some significant equipment changes in NATO forces. A few things that come to mind:

-Standardization of the M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley, LAV-25 and HMMWV 

-Introduction and standardization of the Challenger and Warrior IFV

-Upgrades to the Marder IFV (I believe the 1A2 variant was introduced in 83' and the 1A3 in 88')

-Introduction of the Jagaur 2

-Introduction of the BMP3, BMD-2, Tunguska and BTR-80

-British small arms transition from the 7.62 L1A1 to the 5.56 SA80/L85A1 family 

-Canadian small arms transition from the 7.62 C1A1 to the 5.56 C7 family 

Some equipment that is on the 'rare' side in the current lineup we have becomes more prolific as the years go on and production ramps up.

This was also a period of time where the national identity of militaries began to take shape:

-The US military continued its implementation of the PASGT system.

-The US military transitioned from the MERDC vehicle pattern to NATO 3 color woodland. Some other NATO members did the same, ex: West Germany

-The British military transitioned from Pattern 68 uniforms to Pattern 84, as well as the replacement of Pattern 58 webbing to the PLCE webbing

-The Danish military adoption of the M84 pattern

-Some Soviet forces, primarily the VDV I believe, began the adoption of the VSR/TTsKO pattern

Of course some of the more visual changes are nothing more than eye candy, but I still think it would be neat to implement either way.

You can also make the argument that NATO equipment proved far superior to what the Soviets were able to field as the 1980s wore on, but that doesn't change the disparity in forces sizes between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Yes the upgunned M1A1 started to be introduced in 1985 and had lots of bells and whistles that weren't commonplace with and out-tech'd Soviet armor, but for what the Soviets lacked in quality they certainly made up for in quantity. Harvey Black's fictional series 'The Red/Black/Blue Effect' comes to mind where NATO forces are constantly swarmed by Soviet forces and are repeatedly pushed back until they can from a stable line of defense. Having this implemented in CM would not only be interesting but also produce unique challenges regardless of which side you play as.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:28 PM, Halmbarte said:

WWII Africa would be acceptable too.

I'm very confident that we'll have North Africa in the next 3 to 4 years. I figure a year to finish up current work and greenlight the next set of projects, and 2-3 years to actually develop a new base game set in North Africa.

Downfall will be coming out later this month. After that, there is still plenty more to cover in the late war period. But Battle Packs can take it from here. Battlefront is certainly going to continue developing new WW2 modules and base games. And I can almost guarantee that the next western front base game or module (certainly a new base game, since it's a new theater) will be Tunisia 1943. It doesn't take any knowledge of their internal plans to know that that's the obvious place to go next.

With the late war finished, there is no direction to go but back. They can't go all the way back in a single leap, because that would be too much new equipment to create all at once. So the next game will be an incremental step back from what they have right now. The earliest point in the timeline right now is Sicily 1943. What's one step back in time from Sicily 1943? Tunisia 1943. If we're lucky it might go as far back as Torch (that would require adding Vichy French forces, so I'm guessing Torch will be a later module). But at the very least it's going to be Tunisia.

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

The_Capt was hinting about CM3 in this thread this week. How this changes things I suppose we will have to wait and see.

It looked to me like was speculating about CM3, just like the rest of us have been doing from time to time. He said:

On 1/16/2024 at 5:09 AM, The_Capt said:

Well I think it will depend on CMx3 timelines

Which I think means that he doesn't really know what those timelines are either. I think we all know that CM3 will be coming eventually. But, even though he's in charge of CMCW development, I doubt The_Capt has much more inside knowledge on CM3 development than the rest of us. I'm not even sure if CM3 is even under active development yet, or if it's still in the "we know we're going to need to get around to this eventually" phase. They're in the middle of a major engine upgrade. Plus, even though Downfall is nearing release, there are still three other active projects adding new content to the series that are being worked on in parallel. So does BFC have spare development effort to also be working on CM3 in the background with all of that going on right now? Maybe. But I suspect it's still on the to-do list, and hasn't yet made it to the actively-being-done list.

For my part, I hope it doesn't come too soon. It would certainly be very exciting if it brings as much of an improvement in the ability to realistically portray warfare as CM2 brought over CM1. But I would like to see a few more modules for CMCW before CM3 comes along and presses the reset button on everything.

17 hours ago, AtlasActual said:

Getting hyped for BAOR

I'm happy to see more Cold War footage. But let's save our hype until we know they're getting close (wouldn't want the hype to burn out). All Steve revealed in the 2024 year to come thread is that they're well under way and we can expect some bones soon. Which could, but does not necessarily, mean that they're getting close.

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm happy to see more Cold War footage. But let's save our hype until we know they're getting close (wouldn't want the hype to burn out). All Steve revealed in the 2024 year to come thread is that they're well under way and we can expect some bones soon. Which could, but does not necessarily, mean that they're getting close.

Dw, the hype will be sustained. They are taking longer because they are adding more stuff and making sure it's going to be a banger. Mark my words.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:57 PM, Centurian52 said:

Steve/theCapt originally said they were aiming for a 2023 release, so hopefully that means atleast a first half of 2024 release

I'm personally hoping that Steves bones part 2 post will be the initial screenshots for BAOR and a confirmation of what the Soviets will be getting (not expecting a release date at this stage though, just want some eye candy)

• 2 weeks later...

No BAOR screenshots in the 2024 year to come part 2 thread yet. The Part 1 thread did say we could expect some Cold War bones "very soon" now that their artists are freed up from Downfall, so maybe not too much longer (maybe another month or two?). In the meantime, while we wait for screenshots of the real thing, there are still these hacked together screenshots by @Unremarkable Sunray from the Screenshot and Video thread for us to look at.

On 10/17/2022 at 5:49 AM, Unremarkable Sunray said:

Spent a bit of time day dream a BAOR expansion over the weekend - used a mix of assets from CMSF, CMA and CMBN. Sadly no idea how to take it further as a playable faction mod.

A.jpg

Alright, I'll start a little speculation about campaigns to pass the time!

Will there be two NATO campaigns (BAOR & Canadian) or one with a force mix based on the USSR pushing at the boundaries of formations? I'll make the assumption that the USSR campaign will be a Guards shock army against the BAOR.

How about the timeline? In 1975, the Chieftain was strong - as T64s become more common and then T80s appear, things will get tough for the BAOR. Stillbrew, L23 ammo, and the Challenger are apparently out of scope, so there won't be an Abrams/Bradley-style power reversal. I don't think the Canadians got the Leopard until 1978, so Centurian vs. T64 will be "interesting"...

Thinking about the possibilities has given me a lot of respect for the amount of research needed for mapping, unit placement, and playtesting; it's not surprising that it didn't happen in 2023. I'm hoping for 2024!

On 2/6/2024 at 12:30 AM, Centurian52 said:

No BAOR screenshots in the 2024 year to come part 2 thread yet. The Part 1 thread did say we could expect some Cold War bones "very soon" now that their artists are freed up from Downfall, so maybe not too much longer (maybe another month or two?). In the meantime, while we wait for screenshots of the real thing, there are still these hacked together screenshots by @Unremarkable Sunray from the Screenshot and Video thread for us to look at.

Very nice can you provide a link to your mod ?

1 minute ago, JM Stuff said:

Very nice can you provide a link to your mod ?

It's not mine. You'll have to ask @Unremarkable Sunray. And I'm not sure he ever developed it further into a mod. He could replace visual assets. But those L1A1s will still be functioning like the M16s or AK74s they replaced (depending on whether he replaced US or Soviet infantry to get the British infantry). So it probably wasn't possible for him to develop it further as a playable mod.

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

It's not mine. You'll have to ask @Unremarkable Sunray. And I'm not sure he ever developed it further into a mod. He could replace visual assets. But those L1A1s will still be functioning like the M16s or AK74s they replaced (depending on whether he replaced US or Soviet infantry to get the British infantry). So it probably wasn't possible for him to develop it further as a playable mod.

Well than will be soon probably added for the next CMCW module, let us hope, thank you to the infos.

23 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Is there an ETA for an update as to when we can expect a reporting on the current standing and expected future potentially possible release date of BAOR?

Since the original plan for BAOR release was 2023, I guess that means somewhen this year (2024).