Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

Cold Warriors.

Well it looks like Steve has already dropped the mic over on the annual update thread, so let myself, Bil H and Cpt Miller (along with a small team of unwashed heathens - two of whom are actually from the UK), be the second to announce the first CMCW Module - CMCW - British Army On the Rhine (BAOR).

image.thumb.png.16c7acc3cf1ae687487d8a7a8d0cadc2.png

We are still in development so I will only outline the broad strokes of what we are working on, and insert the caveat that we reserve the right to add/subtract - 

- Time frame of the game is going deeper backwards into the Cold War.  We are setting the clock back to 1976, so CMCW will now encompass 1976-1982 (including some minor tweaks to the existing US orbats).  As has been noted we are less interested in the later Cold War years largely because they really do start to resemble the later CM titles and we are shooting to keep CMCW distinct in its own right.

- UK BOAR - right now we have a pretty comprehensive build planned for the UK units as they transitioned from their 1974 structures - to where they landed in 1980.  As per the picture above players should be able to become deeply engaged within the historical BAOR sector of the ETO.

- And because I just have to represent the home team, we are also doing the Canadians.  That little black box is the planned 4 CMBG AO - you will note this was right at the tail end when the brigade was still part of the BAOR, although for those that really want to play First Clash and park them down in Lahr you are fee to do so because the basic unit structures remained the same.

- We do have plans for the Soviet side, but are going to hold off on details until we zero them fully in...more to follow. 

- I will let you all speculate and discuss what new vehicles and weapon systems we are talking about but there is a not insignificant list of new ones we are planning - more as we start to get some cool screen shots.  

As noted by Steve, we are well on our way and are planning for a release this year - content and full scope remains TBA.

Thank you all very much for your support, the response to CMCW has been well beyond what we were expecting and that is entirely thanks to you guys.

19 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

I was expecting German forces, as the war is mainly fought in German lands and I think they are a must have, but I have to admit, I also want to see the Brits in the game, and getting the Canadians as well is a great bonus. Looking forward to it.

We wanted to concentrate on the British Army of the Rhine and Canadians first, mainly for selfish reasons and also because we have a couple people on the team who are experts on the British Army so it was the obvious choice for us.

We do have plans for the German Army too, but that will unfortunately have to wait.

Bil

As I posted in the other thread, I'm guessing this will mean Sheridans and the M114 for US units down the line perhaps?

P.S. I can personally verify the 2nd Cav was still using Sheridans until spring of 1978. As I was stationed in Bamberg at the time, and they had a battalion there. 

Edited by Sequoia

@Bil Hardenberger the BAOR is highly requested, it's not per se wrong to do them first. Especially, if you have experts on the team to take care of them.
I'll buy it, no question, I want to see the Brits too.
It's just that it feels a bit like Combat Mission Fortress Italy without the Italians.

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

2 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Cold Warriors.

Well it looks like Steve has already dropped the mic over on the annual update thread, so let myself, Bil H and Cpt Miller (along with a small team of unwashed heathens - two of whom are actually from the UK), be the second to announce the first CMCW Module - CMCW - British Army On the Rhine (BAOR).

image.thumb.png.16c7acc3cf1ae687487d8a7a8d0cadc2.png

We are still in development so I will only outline the broad strokes of what we are working on, and insert the caveat that we reserve the right to add/subtract - 

- Time frame of the game is going deeper backwards into the Cold War.  We are setting the clock back to 1976, so CMCW will now encompass 1976-1982 (including some minor tweaks to the existing US orbats).  As has been noted we are less interested in the later Cold War years largely because they really do start to resemble the later CM titles and we are shooting to keep CMCW distinct in its own right.

- UK BOAR - right now we have a pretty comprehensive build planned for the UK units as they transitioned from their 1974 structures - to where they landed in 1980.  As per the picture above players should be able to become deeply engaged within the historical BAOR sector of the ETO.

- And because I just have to represent the home team, we are also doing the Canadians.  That little black box is the planned 4 CMBG AO - you will note this was right at the tail end when the brigade was still part of the BAOR, although for those that really want to play First Clash and park them down in Lahr you are fee to do so because the basic unit structures remained the same.

- We do have plans for the Soviet side, but are going to hold off on details until we zero them fully in...more to follow. 

- I will let you all speculate and discuss what new vehicles and weapon systems we are talking about but there is a not insignificant list of new ones we are planning - more as we start to get some cool screen shots.  

As noted by Steve, we are well on our way and are planning for a release this year - content and full scope remains TBA.

Thank you all very much for your support, the response to CMCW has been well beyond what we were expecting and that is entirely thanks to you guys.

This is an instant buy. I expect Charles had to create a “Heat up some Yorkshire brew for the boys” button for a morale boost?

Oh my god, this is such good news! And it is also very good news that we are not moving forward but actually back in time. Very intrigued. I am always a bit hesitant about buying yet another CM thing but this module will be bought on Day 1, I can tell you that much.

PS: Since we were talking about seasonal uniforms. Will we actually have snow maps?

1 hour ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

I was expecting German forces, as the war is mainly fought in German lands and I think they are a must have, but I have to admit, I also want to see the Brits in the game, and getting the Canadians as well is a great bonus. Looking forward to it, many were requesting it.

British troops follow always in second position the us army, is perhaps a coincidence, but for the time it was also the case with CMSF1 valid for the CMComWlz MG CMFI, and we know now CW and CMFB, personly I am not very surprise about this, and I am happy already to have them, but of course East/West Germany (plus CZ perhaps ) will be really welcome.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Winter/Snow?

I do like that you go backwards, the 79-82 time frame seems is a lot more fun than 85-88 which probably would have gotten my vote if I had been asked :) silly me!

Thanks for all your work with CMCW.

18 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I would also be interested to know if more attention is paid to the cold seasons. So finally, will the troops get winter uniforms?

Hate to disappoint, but sorry, no winter or snow in this module. I could get into the reasons for this, but would hate to bore you all... basically, we can only demand so much of Battlefront's operations before Steve tells us to EFF off.  ;) 

Bil

9 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Hate to disappoint, but sorry, no winter or snow in this module. I could get into the reasons for this, but would hate to bore you all... basically, we can only demand so much of Battlefront's operations before Steve tells us to EFF off.  ;) 

No problem and thanks for the answer! But is there generally a higher chance that this will appear in a later module? So is this still more or less planned?