2022 Mid Year Update

Just my two nickles:

We have a lot of talented folks on here. Why stop at campaigns/scenarios/maps?

What if they give these trustees the ability to edit TO&E, and add new models? They could make modules that BFC may not be interested in (early war, PTO, 'nam, arab/isreali etc.). This may bring new customers, who are more interested in other conflicts.

There are, already, some impressive mods, why not turn them into full fledged modules? DCS has really expanded their line-up after publishing third party modules.

Big disclaimer here: I am sure BFC knows their business better, as they've done it for decades. This is just me thinking (proverbially) aloud.

I would also mention DCS as a good example of this idea 😎...

I belive that the development of CMCW uses this idea to some extent but expanding on this would be a good idea i think...Any products would obviously need to meet BFC standards...

It ought to be doable...but maybe the 'niche' aspect of this gameseries makes this a somewhat less lucrative proposition for any would be designers...

22 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Just my two nickles:

We have a lot of talented folks on here. Why stop at campaigns/scenarios/maps?

What if they give these trustees the ability to edit TO&E, and add new models? They could make modules that BFC may not be interested in (early war, PTO, 'nam, arab/isreali etc.). This may bring new customers, who are more interested in other conflicts.

There are, already, some impressive mods, why not turn them into full fledged modules? DCS has really expanded their line-up after publishing third party modules.

Big disclaimer here: I am sure BFC knows their business better, as they've done it for decades. This is just me thinking (proverbially) aloud.

I like that idea. Me for one would really like to see CM middle east conflicts Six-day war. Yom kipper war Golan heights tank battles.  I really don't get why it's never been done, except for the political ramifications. Not being a developer, just a player, but one can hope. Some of the greatest post WW2 tank engagements ever fought. Where T-55 and T-62 were fighting Pattons and Centurians. 

Lol that will never happen. Not many ppl played Arma until mods came out for it, then it really blew up. Hardware also got cheaper and more accessible. 

Men of War became a vastly better game when we were given glorious mods such as GSM. 

****, I remember playing the original Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 1942. That mod was insane. I miss those days. 

21 hours ago, markus544 said:

So, what you're saying is they whomever will not go near the middle east battles in some kind of CM game. Well, I really did not think so some kind of blowback from whomever, I really don't get it. Charley evdo situation

I just said "Lol that will never happen" in regards to allowing mods and then commented on the other games. 

I was actually replying to DerKommissar actually, probably on mobile considering I didn't tag him. Sorry for the confusion. 

Battlefront will never allow mods. Why? Because they think it will damage their reputation or something, idk. It's a bad move in my opinion. 

Given enough time people will crack open the game and add enormous amounts of content to it for free. 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:55 AM, Artkin said:

The way I see it: a map/scenario/campaign pack is just a good thing. Bfc can hire forum goers to push high quality content for us while Bfc themselves can spend their time on bug fixes, features, and the next game. 

I don't see this upcoming pack slowing down the schedule whatsoever. 

That is all true.

The catch is that the amount of work that can be done without Charles' involvement is very small. Basically the hired guns cannot do anything at all that any random user couldn't do.

So as far as mods go, it's not going to happen as far as BF is concerned. Okay that's okay. I'm not anyone who could crack anything other than an egg. I still would like to see BF do something with the middle east an the epic tank battles that took place, that all. I'm 62 years old and maybe it will never happen but one can only hope.

I am holding on new purchases until we get game optimizations (engine 5?). Low frames are killing me. 

I after stating the unstatable immidiately hide in a hole expecting backlash and peeking just so slightly out of it here and then to check if those long awaited improvements (for me since 2013) have finally arrived.    

• 4 weeks later...

Given current gaming hardware and the graphical fidelity people are used to in other games, the framerate in CM is on average quite low.  I have seen this on multiple machines, some very powerful, and it is evident in footage of other people playing.  Anyway, expectations change over time.

Whether or not it is acceptable is another question.  It is to me, or I wouldn't have sunk hundreds of hours into the series, and I am a newbie really.  I think it is at least tolerable to most people here.  But, the abilty to push a stable and high frame rate is always desireable.

Games are complicated software systems.  CM is a very complicated game.  It is easy to imagine that it should be faster, but I would wager making that happen is a tremendous amount of time and effort.  So I simply look forward to whatever is coming.

Edited by callada

16 hours ago, MikeyD said:

If you're getting low framerates when nobody else is complaining about it maybe the problem isn't the game.

CM's performance is rather lacking, particularly on larger maps with large numbers of units, and especially in the setup phase if the deployment zone is large and you have a unit selected with a movement order.

Edited by Grey_Fox

7 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

CM's performance is rather lacking, particularly on larger maps with large numbers of units, and especially in the setup phase if the deployment zone is large and you have a unit selected with a movement order.

I'm not remotely qualified, but my intuition is that the real problem is that the game engine is doing something really inefficient every time the camera moves. It's that, rather than anything in the simulation that causes issues.  

1 hour ago, Alchenar said:

I'm not remotely qualified, but my intuition is that the real problem is that the game engine is doing something really inefficient every time the camera moves. It's that, rather than anything in the simulation that causes issues.  

Oh yeah, it smacks of a really silly calculation being done (or series of calculations) when a movement order is selected and the camera moved. And it doesn't help that the entire application seems to be running on a single thread.

Edited by Grey_Fox

On 11/26/2022 at 10:53 PM, MikeyD said:

If you're getting low framerates when nobody else is complaining about it maybe the problem isn't the game. 

Nobody else is complaining? Never has been? I must be either real special then or you must have burried all those other complainers somewhere deep. ;) So all the folks who said them frames are low since I started reading these forums many moons ago don't count? 🤨 20-30 frames are regarded normal for this game. I see slideshow at that count. While many people don't see a problem there, I do. Steve mentioned game update (was it last year?) will bring optimisations and I have been awaiting those.   

On 11/27/2022 at 12:45 AM, BornGinger said:

I think it's Hister's suspenders that are the problem to the low framerate he gets.

Oooweee, we have a comedian here. Never heard this one. Bravo. 

Wow, the English in this thread has gone to ****. Reading this page alone made my head hurt.

Can you guys at least read your posts one more time before you click on "submit"? It would go a long way to raise the IQ back up again and prevent us all from further headaches.

Also, I too am very disappointed that we don't have any news on, well, anything really. Where is the Steam release of the WW2 games? Where the battle pack for CW?

3 hours ago, Sunbather said:

Wow, the English in this thread has gone to ****. Reading this page alone made my head hurt.

Can you guys at least read your posts one more time before you click on "submit"? It would go a long way to raise the IQ back up again and prevent us all from further headaches.

What and who exactly are you referring to?