How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

6 minutes ago, db_zero said:

All these unconfirmed reports of Russian ships getting hit but no major news outlets have reported it yet…I did see an MSN article that says to be skeptical of the event.

BBC had a quick note on it...

BBC

General Melchett being the mastermind behind Russian invasion is very plausible indeed.FGFUAE2XoAoU0xC.jpg

17 minutes ago, db_zero said:

People are saying it’s from a picture that was overexposed or large explosions produce a mushroom cloud…

Here's a video from which this frame was taken. It looks like  the light of explosion was reflected by the cloud cover.
https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1514358340180193282

Edited by Huba

4 hours ago, amadeupname said:

F&R would disagree with you. Everyone went silent for the most part ever since this war broke out, call me a troll all you want, at the end of the day we're here to play a game and I'm concerned about the future of my favorite game series.

Actually at the end of the day we are a wargaming community with deep interest (and some expertise) in the history of warfare.  This is the first peer-on-peer conventional war of the 21st century and likely the most intense since the Iran-Iraq war back in the 80s, so you can understand why it is kind of a big deal.

As to the games, no small amount of effort you see here is to try and figure out how to make CM more realistic, particularly the modern titles.  So let’s call this game design in contact.   

Finally we are about analysis and assessment that cut through a lot of the noise out there, so we have seen a lot of people migrate here because we try and remain unbiased- as far as we can as we stand with Ukraine on this one- and offer a different picture than a lot of mainstream military analysis.  Moreover, we will toot our own horn as we have been noted as out in front of events thanks in large part to information sharing and a robust online debate.

We are also on the internet and get whackies, which have been warned and in some cases banned.  

That all said, do not worry BFC is still in the gaming business but right now they have their eyes on this history in the making.  They (and “we”: check out CMCW while you are in the gift shop!), will be back to making the game series you love shortly but right now the best good we can do is try and keep a clear eye on things and keep each other informed while supporting those of us in the middle of all this.

Edited by The_Capt

Someone posted a video from the youtube channel Eli from Russia a few days ago that was talking about the effects of sanctions on Russia. I watched it and found it interesting as well as a couple others she did. She wanders through their biggest mall in Moscow and talks about some of the closed stores (McDonalds, KFC and a couple I can't recall), but what I thought was interesting were all the stores that weren't closed. The Gap, Nike and several others. It looked like about 90% or more of the outlets were still in operation. Surprised there isn't more public pressure on those companies as well.

Anyway, for those interested in the effects of the sanctions I just watched a video of her and another vlogger comparing prices of electronics:  

The gist of it is prices have increased on phones, tv's and appliances 50 to 100%. For example the new Iphone I think was 160,000 ish rubles and they state that the average income in Moscow is 60-80,000 rubles a month and that is 2-3 times higher than most of the other provincial cities around the country. She also stated that she was looking for lenses for her camera that she bought in December (price of said camera has doubled since then) and she absolutely can't find any anywhere.

So I reckon the sanctions are starting to show and this inflation will continue higher and higher until the warehoused stocks of electronics are gone. 

25 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Actually at the end of the day we are a wargaming community with deep interest (and some expertise) in the history of warfare.  This is the first peer-on-peer conventional war of the 21st century and likely he most intense since the Iran-Iraq war back in the 80s, so you can understand why it is kind of a big deal.

As to the games, no small amount of effort you see here is to try and figure out how to make CM more realistic, particularly the modern titles.  So let’s call this game design in contact.   

Finally we are about analysis and assessment that cut through a lot of the noise out there, so we have seen a lot of people migrate here because we try and remain unbiased- as far as we can as we stand with Ukraine on this one- and offer a different picture than a lot of mainstream military analysis.  Moreover, we will toot our own horn as we have been noted as out in front of events thanks in large part to information sharing and a robust online debate.

We are also on the internet and get whackies, which have been warned and in some cases banned.  

That all said, do not worry BFC is still in the gaming business but right now they have their eyes on this history in the making.  They (and “we”: check out CMCW while you are in the gift shop!), will be back to making the game series you love shortly but right now the best good we can do is try and keep a clear eye on things and keep each other informed while supporting those of us in the middle of all this.

I think this is very generous. I just reached for the dislike button - for the first time ever on the BF forum - and realised there isn't one! 😀

Edited by The Steppenwulf

11 minutes ago, Huba said:

And we have confirmation

From the article, "The cause of the fire is under investigation, the military department added." To briefly indulge in some fun, I suppose they are determining if it was a Harpoon, Neptune, or a thunder run by a John Deere. 

Folks here haven't played CM?  Didn't know that.  Welcome!  And note that it's a realistic military simulation -- meaning bad guys try to destroy your forces and your men don't have any healing powers once sufficiently wounded, or killed.  Like in real life.  Winning happens only one way: through the use of real life proper tactics and combined arms.  Losing, unfortunately, happens lots of ways!   Bad luck, bad decisions, mud, soft sand, lucky enemy shots are all part of the action. 

This aint Assault Squad or company of heroes. 

I started on the modern titles a few years ago after some years in CM-WW2.  What fantastic fun and intellectual challenges.  Modern weapons systems are crazy deadly, crazy fast, and crazy in variety.

12 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

+1

So the butcher@bucha went from "special operation and peace" to "special underwater operation and peace"? That is quite a nice escalation. He really knows his Tolstoi...

So who is the commander of the Black Dea fleet?  I suspect he just got a phone call to report to the Kremlin.

Edited by sburke

12 minutes ago, Huba said:

And we have confirmation:

Oh boy, they will lose their flagship to a nation without navy and people were afraid that Russia could threaten NATO. 

Looks like Russia is a rocket army, with small rockets to big nuclear ones and nothing in between. 

Give them a chance for peace will you? 

1 minute ago, sburke said:

So who is the commander of the Black Dea fleet.  I suspect he just got a phone call to report to the Kremlin.

I hope he was aboard his flagship and in good old tradition went down with his ship. Otherwise he might be in for some polonium tea session...

9 minutes ago, Huba said:

What's most ironic is that at the same day Moskva was hit, Ukrainian post office published this new stamp design. You couldn't make that up, it's like a conspiracy of postmen:

FQQk8h_X0AoYMF6?format=jpg&name=small

niandfxqh9t81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

OMG that is perfect! At first I thought it was a joke, then I found a nice article on NPR.org. 

I think Pres. Zelensky needs to send Putin a nice letter, with some newly issued stamps for postage.

Dave

10 minutes ago, Huba said:

What's most ironic that at the same day Moskva was hit, Ukrainian post office published this new stamp design. You couldn't make that up, it's like a conspiracy of postmen:

FQQk8h_X0AoYMF6?format=jpg&name=small

Karma! You never want to be on the wrong side of it! 😎

18 hours ago, sross112 said:
19 hours ago, CAZmaj said:

Ukraine Will Easily Destroy or Sideline Russia’s Navy with Game-Changing Anti-Ship Missiles

https://realcontextnews.com/ukraine-will-easily-or-destroy-or-sideline-russias-navy-with-game-changing-anti-ship-missiles/

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
From The Russian Coast Guard

Recent reports of Russian navy's flagship Moskva sinking are untrue. The Russian navy has converted the cruiser into a new type of submarine. It is undergoing its first underwater trials on the Black Sea  LOL

3 hours ago, Hapless said:

a by-product being the joking that most Russian vehicles didn't justify the expense of the missile.

Since everyone in this thread seems to be talking about game dev again, when are we going to get a new line in the mission results screen? Killed, wounded, destroyed, $ cost for ordinance? 🤣 

Also for point of clarification, the Moskva attack. Im not familiar with the Neptune missile, is it hypersonic or in some way unusual? I read in a tweet they got two hits on three missiles? Seems like a pretty high rate of success if true. Should I take from this that Ukraine has next level ASuM or that the Russian CIWS sucks? Or maybe CIWS isn't all its cracked up to be?

Tbh just having a hard time processing this Moskva thing, IMO its one of the most wild things I've read here in a while. Want to talk about @The_Capt's 'oh ****' moments regarding what the UA can do, for me this is another one.