How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

8 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I think the guy pictured is a Chechen fighting on the UKR side, unless I'm misreading @Haiduk's post?

Yup, I assume the use of the term “blood feud” means he’s fighting against the others.

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Chechen fighter of Free Ichkeria with NLAW. Two detachments of Chechen fighters (batalion named after Jokhar Dudayev and battalion named after Sheikh Mansur - but really theese battalions have less a company each) already fight near Kyiv against Chechens of Kadyrov. Blood feud...

Зображення

Wow, look at that guy’s RED beard! I guess he’s one of them “ethnic” Chechens! Just how do we tell who are ethnic Russians, and who are ethnic Ukraines?

35 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

I am not saying I am surprised by things being roadbound and the implications.  I am saying I was struck by how a very small force could have significantly disproportionate results in ways that were not available in WW2.  Blocking a dutch road and knocking out tanks required close combat if it's panzerfaust or panzershreck.  If it's AT gun it's highly immobile and so can fire can be concentrated on that point via direct fire or mortars.  But modern squad is killing w ATGMs at hundreds of meters and can displace w/o abandoning equipment. 

The German anti-tank units in Market Garden weren’t using “just panzerfausts and panzershreks. They also had AT guns situated at specific cloak points along the roads. It’s really difficult ti protect your armor’s flanks when you can’t run your infantry far enough out on the flanks without overexposing them. I taught my regular opponent a very valuable lesson about using infantry to secure the flanks of your armor advance by wiping all his Soviet AT teams with infantry clearing buildings in a CM1 mission called “The Library.” He has never forgotten, and that was about 20-years ago.

59 minutes ago, dan/california said:

They have a large number of examples of why this attack at this time of year was an poor idea.

Remember Putin holding of on the invasion (that we all knew was coming) until after the winter Olympics was over. That was three weeks of frozen ground they could have been driving over.

20 minutes ago, BeondTheGrave said:

Am I to conclude from this that the officers origionally at the front were the inexperienced ones? lol 

No, just the lower-ranking ones. The 3 "significant" ones would, I gather, normally be expected to be more REMF-y. Like "not over the border yet" Rear Echelon, and so probably out of the hunting range of the snipers that're reported to have nailed at least one of them. 

6 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

I saw on another forum a post that giving Ukraine s300 SAMs would be useful as they are trained on them, but another poster said of all NATO countries only Turkey still has them. Accurate?  Thanks

Slovakia and Greece also?

49 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Remember Putin holding of on the invasion (that we all knew was coming) until after the winter Olympics was over. That was three weeks of frozen ground they could have been driving over.

Who holds off an invasion for a sporting event? China must have asked them to hold off. 

4 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Next game is going to have to be the Chinese. Russian military credibility died whimpering in a Ukrainian bog.

I wonder how our current military is feeling right now watching how bad they are and what a debacle they have become wishing they could, right now, just get one crack at the once feared big bad Russian Bear?

Our US and NATO Generals must be dumbstruck.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

There was no rush to invade now though.  Putin could have just waited until 22 June if he wanted to