New things added to the new thing

MikeyD

3 minutes ago, Lukevan16 said:

I suppose you’re right, although from the looks of it they already have BDU in for the later scenarios.

Sorta.  The US Army had two camouflage uniforms in the later part of the Cold War game's timeframe.  The precursor to the M81 BDUm which is commonly referred to as the "RDF" or "Transitional" uniform, started large scale introduction in 1978/1979.  The M81 BDU is a simplified version of it and started showing up in large amounts in 1981.  There are significant differences in construction between the two, but those are not noticeable in CM terms.  The more noticeable difference is the earlier Transitional uniforms used surplus Green or Brown Dominate ERDL cloth left over from the Vietnam war.  Later versions used a cloth that would go on to become "Woodland" pattern used in M81.

For CM's purposes we do not distinguish between the two uniforms.  Late period US forces have a choice between OD or camo.

Steve

25 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, camo uniform discussions... I really like those :D

Soviets first introduced a standard camouflage field uniform (TTsKO) in 1981, but it was not in wide use for several more years.  Outside of Cold War's scope.

The US 6 color desert ("chocolate chip") uniform was developed in the mid to late 1970s as part of the post-Vietnam shift.  The desert uniform was not generally issued until the early 1980s and even then it was in short supply.  Because few US forces were deployed to desert environments there wasn't much reason to produce many.  In fact, when Desert Shield started up many units had to go to military surplus shops to purchase commercially made versions of the uniform as sufficient stocks were unavailable in military stores.  Same thing happened when OIF started up.

Which is to say neither uniform is included with Cold War.

Ok, no camos for the soviets...how about clothes for the cold months (december)?

For those interested in the RDF uniform, here's a very good article I just found:

https://www.gear-illustration.com/2020/06/14/story-about-the-rdf-combat-uniform/

Though you should ignore then fully badged 6 color.  The jacket is legit, the badging was applied (incorrectly) by a collector.  How do I know?  The picture in the article is mine as is the jacket :D  I chuckle when I saw that.  Lots of pictures of my bathroom door floating around the Internet, that's for sure.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sorta.  The US Army had two camouflage uniforms in the later part of the Cold War game's timeframe.  The precursor to the M81 BDUm which is commonly referred to as the "RDF" or "Transitional" uniform, started large scale introduction in 1978/1979.  The M81 BDU is a simplified version of it and started showing up in large amounts in 1981.  There are significant differences in construction between the two, but those are not noticeable in CM terms.  The more noticeable difference is the earlier Transitional uniforms used surplus Green or Brown Dominate ERDL cloth left over from the Vietnam war.  Later versions used a cloth that would go on to become "Woodland" pattern used in M81.

For CM's purposes we do not distinguish between the two uniforms.  Late period US forces have a choice between OD or camo.

Steve

Very interesting, as you can probably tell I’m far from an expert when it comes to camouflage.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, camo uniform discussions... I really like those :D

Soviets first introduced a standard camouflage field uniform (TTsKO) in 1981, but it was not in wide use for several more years.  Outside of Cold War's scope.

The US 6 color desert ("chocolate chip") uniform was developed in the mid to late 1970s as part of the post-Vietnam shift.  The desert uniform was not generally issued until the early 1980s and even then it was in short supply.  Because few US forces were deployed to desert environments there wasn't much reason to produce many.  In fact, when Desert Shield started up many units had to go to military surplus shops to purchase commercially made versions of the uniform as sufficient stocks were unavailable in military stores.  Same thing happened when OIF started up.

Which is to say neither uniform is included with Cold War.

Steve

Steve @Battlefront.com, what about this camo overall that shows up a bunch in the Zapad-81 films? (KZS oversuit maybe?)

camo_overall_Zapad81.thumb.jpg.823db22a5d7816f9cc6410b5b541d72a.jpg

Edited by akd

4 hours ago, Lukevan16 said:

Seeing as this game seems to indulge our desires for desert combat, I’m hoping that we get some cool desert infantry camo for the US troepies. If it’s not in already I hope they add it.

Should be easy enough to mod.

In fact, I do seem to fondly recall a 'Chocolate Chip Desert' uniform mod for Shock Force, made by a rather notable member of the community.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

For those interested in the RDF uniform, here's a very good article I just found:

https://www.gear-illustration.com/2020/06/14/story-about-the-rdf-combat-uniform/

Though you should ignore then fully badged 6 color.  The jacket is legit, the badging was applied (incorrectly) by a collector.  How do I know?  The picture in the article is mine as is the jacket :D  I chuckle when I saw that.  Lots of pictures of my bathroom door floating around the Internet, that's for sure.

Steve

That’s really cool, I didn’t know you use bathrooms! 😁

In all seriousness that is a really cool write up, and the uniforms look great too. 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, akd said:

Steve @Battlefront.com, what about this camo overall that shows up a bunch in the Zapad-81 films? (KZS oversuit maybe?

Oh yeah, those were around during this time.  It's the last version of a series of coveralls going back to the 1940s.  IIRC I have one example of each type.  Beautiful patterns, but not relevant.

For the most part coveralls were used by specialized forces, such as Spetsnaz, airborne, snipers, sappers, recon, etc.  That tradition dated back to WW2. Definitely not general issue.

Steve

Sorry dude, thread confusion on my part, I thought you meant Soviet & hoped it was for the ISU-152 in WWII.

I knew about the US round, I'm most used to hearing it referred to as a 'Beehive' round.....I looked for the Sheridan and didn't see it, so I'm assuming this will only be coming from the M60A2 Starship?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead