New things added to the new thing

MikeyD

8 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:
46 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

In every CM game you can set the forces to Blue vs Blue and Red vs Red. The same holds true in CMCW.

Yes sorry @IanL and @IICptMillerII I  misunderstood  !

No worries - I was wondering what you were asking earlier. I am not aware of any blue on blue or red on red battles that ship with the games. Normally there is a back story that leads to the scenarios. Even in Cold War, which is looser than past games, there is still a guiding narrative that it covers various Cold War gone hot scenarios.

But as @IICptMillerII and I said the scenario editor lets you build lots of different kinds of battles.

Edited by IanL

30 minutes ago, IanL said:

No worries - I was wondering what you were asking earlier. I am not aware of any blue on blue or red on red battles that ship with the games. Normally there is a back story that leads to the scenarios. Even in Cold War, which is looser than past games, there is still a guiding narrative that it covers various Cold War gone hot scenarios.

But as @IICptMillerII and I said the scenario editor lets you build lots of different kinds of battles.

Thanks you @IanL for all yours added explanations, this was my though, I like r vs r or b vs b, and with a little hability we can mix red with blue TOE, and created lot of battles almost around the world but also epoque, and the story we can also writing ourself, or taking a real place scenario, this new game is a hammer... personly, I see more this game like an editor because the TOE without to talking about the futures addons...that and can created our own world !

How is it about buildings and roofs? Are there flat roofs available as well, or only pointed roofs? Of course, pointed roofs are very common, but especially in the 60s and 70s they also build a lot of flat roof houses in western Germany as well (compare pictures).
They were often build as a cheap replacement for urgently needed appartments, because a lof of the architecture was destroyed in the war, while the conditions were terrible in the late 40s, new families needed room to live in during the 50s, which didn´t exist yet, so these type of houses were build to deal with the problem.

FlachdachMietshaus.jpg

70erFlachdachBungalow.jpg

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

11 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

They were often build as a cheap replacement for urgently needed appartments, because a lof of the architecture was destroyed in the war.

Exactly the same in the UK, unsurprisingly.  The building in your first picture could be a clone of countless examples here (including one five minutes up the road from me).

Having both flat and sloped roof types would further enhance the mod-ability of the game, it's one of the first things @37mm had to overcome for H&E.

Yes, these buildings are everywhere and extremely generic and iconic for the 60s and 70s. Of course, they have gone nowhere, so they where still there in the 80s and are still here today, but you can see what time period they are coming from.
Would be a miss, if you conldn´t place something similar on the map, because pointed roof half-timbered houses only would feel a bit oldfashioned and more like a 1940s map. Although, in tiny villages there are still a lot of them.

17 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

... Watching Samantha Fox in her music video and Sabrina Salerno jumping in the pool with her boob falling out from the bikini top on the tv's teenage programs.

Quick, call the off-topic police. 

I had not heard of Sabrina Salerno until now, but I imagine what you describe was quite memorable (or should I say mammarable?).

On 2/16/2021 at 5:21 PM, Sequoia said:

So are Dragon ATGMs any good?

Short range, very visible firing signature, and a very odd and limited maneuvering system that involves "bursts" from collections of small charges around the missile. A friend of mine was a Dragon gunner and they expected that their life expectancy in a shooting war was minutes. T-62s should be fairly vulnerable to them, but more modern equipment might do better when hit by one.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

AFAIK Syria didn't get the T-72M until comparatively recently, their initial deliveries were Urals or T-72As (IIRC they were the only non-War-Pac nation to field the T-72A).

I thought that T-72A and T-72M1 were the same thing. The T-72M was specifically an export variant that the Warsaw Pact states were allowed to produce and sell to others.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, Thewood1 said:

Bunch of info on the T-72A

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72A/M1

The same site lists the Dragon I that would fit this timeframe as a being able to penetrate 300mm of steel.  Combining the thickness of the T-72A and its armor composition, its not likely to get a straight on penetration.  But as in all T-72/T-90 tanks, there are a number of weakpoints.  So its worth a shot if you can get it.

If you really want to take a deep dive on the T-72, go here.

Edited by akd

Ah, camo uniform discussions... I really like those :D

Soviets first introduced a standard camouflage field uniform (TTsKO) in 1981, but it was not in wide use for several more years.  Outside of Cold War's scope.

The US 6 color desert ("chocolate chip") uniform was developed in the mid to late 1970s as part of the post-Vietnam shift.  The desert uniform was not generally issued until the early 1980s and even then it was in short supply.  Because few US forces were deployed to desert environments there wasn't much reason to produce many.  In fact, when Desert Shield started up many units had to go to military surplus shops to purchase commercially made versions of the uniform as sufficient stocks were unavailable in military stores.  Same thing happened when OIF started up.

Which is to say neither uniform is included with Cold War.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, camo uniform discussions... I really like those :D

Soviets first introduced a standard camouflage field uniform (TTsKO) in 1981, but it was not in wide use for several more years.  Outside of Cold War's scope.

The US 6 color desert ("chocolate chip") uniform was developed in the mid to late 1970s as part of the post-Vietnam shift.  The desert uniform was not generally issued until the early 1980s and even then it was in short supply.  Because few US forces were deployed to desert environments there wasn't much reason to produce many.  In fact, when Desert Shield started up many units had to go to military surplus shops to purchase commercially made versions of the uniform as sufficient stocks were unavailable in military stores.  Same thing happened when OIF started up.

Which is to say neither uniform is included with Cold War.

Steve

Shame, I was hopping to be able to have some mixed desert/bdu units for an early 80s Iran crisis some game. Figured if the Bradley got in this might too, hopefully we may see it in a future module or something. US troops in Egypt on exercise were supposedly issued it in 1981 after all and I imagine they would have been able to issue it quicker had a crisis been brewing in the Gulf...