New things added to the new thing

MikeyD

12 minutes ago, SeinfeldRules said:

Love that you guys are including the National Training Center! As a OC/T at the NTC, I'm looking forward to some of our iconic "battlefields" being replicated in their full CM glory. 

Well, that explains why your scenarios are so good.  I've been reading several good books on the NTC.  Very interesting stuff.  I know OC stands for Observer Controller.  What is the T for?  Trainer?   

1 hour ago, SeinfeldRules said:

Love that you guys are including the National Training Center! As a OC/T at the NTC, I'm looking forward to some of our iconic "battlefields" being replicated in their full CM glory. Are there any plans for NTC Master Maps?

@Bil Hardenberger is yer man :) I'll leave him to wax lyrical about his babies - an they're beauts! :)

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

A bit better than AT-3 with a 65mm minimum firing range. But those T72A turret fronts are mighty thick.

Hmmm, as a WW2-title person, this is the sort of detail I'll be missing - at least for a while 😁.

A 65mm minimum firing range?  Or is that 65m?  And just how thick is a T72A turret front?  And what is it made of? etc. etc.

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well, that explains why your scenarios are so good.  I've been reading several good books on the NTC.  Very interesting stuff.  I know OC stands for Observer Controller.  What is the T for?  Trainer?   

Well thank you for the compliment! The new kinder, gentler term is Observer, Coach/Trainer. Observer Controller was the old term, back when the OCs just stood and watched, and then mercilessly crushed souls in the AAR! Now we take a more active role in course correcting units, hence the "coach". Some units we have to do more hard coaching then others. 😄

NTC is a very interesting place with lots of history, and with how many units rotate through it really is a modern "battlefield" in a sense. Very excited to see what CM has to offer.

Edited by SeinfeldRules

you don't need to kill it via the turret.  Heck I nailed a pair of M1s with recoilless weapons - just don't try to shoot em from the front.

Dragons are good.  There are lots and lots of targets. And those Russian infantry AT4s are honestly better than using the vehicle mounted units - you are a lot harder to spot.  Only problem is they only have a 1000 meter range.  Killed a tank with a BMP mounted unit from a bit over 3km the other day.  The learning curve in this game is brutal (and in my case seemingly flat...)but the CMBS instant reaction days... well that ain't this game.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

The terrain shift when shifting between Germany and NTC region in QB is dramatic. I can see people playing faux Yom Kippur war engagements on the NTC landscape, its like having two separate games.

Germany vs NTC.jpg

As soon as I saw this feature included I immediately thought the same thing!!! I feel like a child I am so excited!!!

19 minutes ago, sburke said:

you don't need to kill it via the turret.  Heck I nailed a pair of M1s with recoilless weapons - just don't try to shoot em from the front.

Dragons are good.  There are lots and lots of targets. And those Russian infantry AT4s are honestly better than using the vehicle mounted units - you are a lot harder to spot.  Only problem is they only have a 1000 meter range.  Killed a tank with a BMP mounted unit from a bit over 3km the other day.  The learning curve in this game is brutal (and in my case seemingly flat...)but the CMBS instant reaction days... well that ain't this game.

So for someone who has only played the WW2 titles...  sh****t!

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

And just how thick is a T72A turret front?  And what is it made of?

Bunch of info on the T-72A

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72A/M1

The same site lists the Dragon I that would fit this timeframe as a being able to penetrate 300mm of steel.  Combining the thickness of the T-72A and its armor composition, its not likely to get a straight on penetration.  But as in all T-72/T-90 tanks, there are a number of weakpoints.  So its worth a shot if you can get it.

Edited by Thewood1

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

So are Dragon ATGMs any good?

Better than a LAW.  🙂

But seriously, a helpful hint. When your mech infantry dismounts to take up a position, they DON'T automatically take the dragon that may be in the M113 with them. First order of business is each scenario is to "Acquire" the dragon launcher, its missiles and then as many LAWs as each squad/team can carry from the M113s that have them loaded. Then when/if you dismount the infantry, they at least have some punch with them. And since the M113s are nothing like M2 Bradleys, if you want your infantry to fight tanks, you'll be dismounting and setting up AT firing positions, remounting your M113s that you left in nice protected positions, and moving to a new location. 

Dave