New things added to the new thing

MikeyD

Talking about IED's. Some time ago I watched Star Media from Russia. They had an interesting scenario it was the Moscow Subway System. The Germans took Moscow and then all over the city were a lot of tremendous mysterious explosions. Plenty of European cities have subway systems it will keep the pyromaniacs among us happy. 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Talking about IED's. Some time ago I watched Star Media from Russia. They had an interesting scenario it was the Moscow Subway System. The Germans took Moscow and then all over the city were a lot of tremendous mysterious explosions. Plenty of European cities have subway systems it will keep the pyromaniacs among us happy. 

See my post above ... bang on about IEDs elsewhere thanks.

Admitted, i should have made it more obvious I wasn't being too serious with my request, rather curious.

Dave, thank you for clearing that one up - it's not always easy to find out the facts even with the modern internet unless you know exactly where to look for and which questions to ask. I was wondering how realistic the use of those weapons would have been.

6 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Have there been any other games/modules that came with a defensive campaign(Not counting fan made here)? I imagine a campaign is set in either '79 or '82 and there isn't an option to choose, is that right? 

If you mean that you can't load the campaign and say 'I want to play 1979 please' then you are correct.

Coming in late on the nukes.  It has been our policy to never put anything in CM that doesn't have a legitimate place on the tactical battlefield.  Even putting aside the implications on the game's story/setting, the use of nukes just doesn't have any practical purpose.  So no, nukes are never going to happen in CM.

IEDs simply weren't "a thing" back in CMCW's timeframe, so they aren't being included for historical reasons.

Steve

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Will the Opfor in the national training center be in US or Soviet equipment?

Bil gave you the straight forward answer, but the longer answer is you can play Blue vs. Blue if you want to approximate the historical reality that Opfor had very few (if any, back then) pieces of Soviet equipment.  Buuuut, then you have two sides that graphically look the same, which isn't ideal IMHO.  Which gets us back to the refreshing simplicity of Bil's answer ;)

Steve

That shocked me too, but I double-checked and its historically correct. I recall late in '45 the Pentagon attempted to make a sniper rifle out of a Garand and botched the job entirely. Then they attempted to make a snipe rifle out of M14 (the M21) and fielded a finicky beast not amenable for combat conditions. They didn't field the M24 Remington til 1988.

Edited by MikeyD

48 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Does the M577 do anything other than carry the company and BN HQs? I suppose a MG could be mounted on top, but I don't know if that was common practice,

It is a command variant so it has radios, mapboards and brew kit ( 😏 ).  It is not a vehicle that you ought to be using to find targets for any MG mounted on the vehicle.  Any such mountings are for self defence.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, Sequoia said:

Have there been any other games/modules that came with a defensive campaign(Not counting fan made here)? I imagine a campaign is set in either '79 or '82 and there isn't an option to choose, is that right? 

I wonder can they pull it off. Making the AI attack well is hard and building a campaign around this must be extra hard. I have only seen couple of exceptional scenarios where the player is put on defense.

4 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I wonder can they pull it off. Making the AI attack well is hard and building a campaign around this must be extra hard. I have only seen couple of exceptional scenarios where the player is put on defense.

They can. I can tell you having been play testing the US 1979 campaign, the AI is a challenging opponent, so lots of credit to the designer for making it 1) challenging and 2) as much as possible act like a real Soviet opponent doctrine wise. You won't be disappointed. 

From the questions above, I'm not sure it's completely clear, but there are 2 completely separate US campaigns included - one set in 1979 and the other set in 1982. The course of the campaign is the same/very similar depending on how you do, but your forces and equipment are appropriate to the period. For example 1979, M48A5s and early M60s, M113s, M150 TOW vehicles, and if you are lucky some brand new M60A3s and a few M1s, facing a bunch of T-62s and BMP-1s. In 1982 you get new stuff. Of course, so do the bad guys. 🙂  The premise of both campaigns and the area fought over are the same. 

Dave

About the NTCC....how many individual maps are involved?  I'm looking forward to calling them 'Iran', renaming Vth Corps to the RDF and facing a Soviet thrust into the Persian Gulf.  I don't think any individual title has ever featured such radically different maps.  (Syria is pretty varied in SF2 though!)

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

They can. I can tell you having been play testing the US 1979 campaign, the AI is a challenging opponent, so lots of credit to the designer for making it 1) challenging and 2) as much as possible act like a real Soviet opponent doctrine wise. You won't be disappointed. 

From the questions above, I'm not sure it's completely clear, but there are 2 completely separate US campaigns included - one set in 1979 and the other set in 1982. The course of the campaign is the same/very similar depending on how you do, but your forces and equipment are appropriate to the period. For example 1979, M48A5s and early M60s, M113s, M150 TOW vehicles, and if you are lucky some brand new M60A3s and a few M1s, facing a bunch of T-62s and BMP-1s. In 1982 you get new stuff. Of course, so do the bad guys. 🙂  The premise of both campaigns and the area fought over are the same. 

Dave

Good to hear!

Soviet battle drill style tactics are probably indeed easiest to do well with CM AI scripting.

19 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Bil gave you the straight forward answer, but the longer answer is you can play Blue vs. Blue if you want to approximate the historical reality that Opfor had very few (if any, back then) pieces of Soviet equipment.  Buuuut, then you have two sides that graphically look the same, which isn't ideal IMHO.  Which gets us back to the refreshing simplicity of Bil's answer ;)

Steve

Even the US visual modifications used at the NTC are supposed to represent Soviet equipment and their capabilities are supposed to be equivalent.  Thus, at the NTC you will be facing a Soviet equipped OPFOR.   :)  

Of course when you guys get the game you can do whatever weird things you want with it.

Bil  

On 2/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, Sequoia said:

And one more question. Did I read correctly there are no US sniper units even at BN level?

I remember reading a history of US sniper training and there was a backlash against sniping after the Vietnam War.  Schools were disbanded, weapons weren't prioritized, etc.  It was only in the 1980s that it was started up again.  Which was a huge problem due to the loss of institutional knowledge over the years.

Someone please correct my memory if it's out of whack!

Steve