RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

49 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

a Combat Mission Sea era we will have "only" to working on a map in "deep" instead in lengh,... to include some u boat to sink yours Bismark or..., just kidding !

😂 Here is my Bismarck, but the turret housings are a bit too large.

It's all for fun, I can certainly make an 8 x 2 km water map and try it on there as well

CM-Red-Thunder-2022-06-21-20-54-15.png

CM-Red-Thunder-2022-06-21-20-54-49.png

The Soviet's main line of works has been uncovered.  The Panthers, attempting to punch a hole in their line, do their work and begin driving the enemy out.  Once a hole is made the line can be turned and rolled up all along the front.

Combat-Mission-Red-Thunder-Screenshot-20

The Panthers can only do so much and it's left for my infantry to mop up any Soviets still hiding in the works.

Utilizing the tried and true tactics of suppress and flank, my troops begin carrying the works and their confidence grows for the assault on the town.  Momentum is building...

Here while 1st platoon suppresses a couple stubborn defenders,

3rd platoon flanks to the left and finishes the job.

Edited by Phantom Captain

Creeping through the fog, the never ending Soviet trench lines keep materializing out of the mist.

Sometimes too close!  As the gunner of this STuG can't even get the gun to depress far enough he decides to open his hatch and take matters into his own hands.

The defenders are getting more and more stubborn as we approach our objective.  

Darting from position to position the Germans continue applying pressure with both infantry and armor.

Still, Soviet bullets do find their marks.

Trenches thought cleared still conceal Soviet snipers who do their work before they too are eliminated.

Invariably, the Panthers continue to lumber forward eliminating and driving all resistance before them.

As we press, our objective appears out of the fog.

Again, my forces are attempting a pincer movement with elements coming from both sides.  This time, however, one of my battle scarred Panthers is destroyed by a hidden AT gun.

Undaunted, the German war machine brings destruction to everything in its path.

And another Panther, already damaged heavily, falls to another Soviet AT gun.  Yet his armor tells the tale of many previous bounced shots.  Attrition is taking it's toll but we still wield plenty of combat power.  Once we take the village we can finally attempt to breakout our surrounded troops.  

We will make them pay for their stubbornness!

At every turn, another foxhole, more determined defenders.

As this squad rises to fire on my only surviving crew member trying to escape...

They only expose themselves to another of my Panthers, laying in wait.  

On the other side of the village objective one of my Pioneer teams runs out of the woods to a rail fence to get a shot on a suspected Soviet position.

They begin to flush out their enemy.

And another Russian soldier escapes from one danger not realizing that 3rd platoon has set up an ambush position waiting for the enemy to run into them.

Flush em out, burn em out.  The Germans are motivated to break out their comrades.

And battle 4 is finished.  Another knock on the chin with losing another 100 men and 3 Panthers, but the Red Army is no slouch and put up an expected resistance.  However, they have been severely bloodied in the effort.  Attrition is still taking it's toll but we will take the victory!  On to battle 5. 

Ok, wow.  Battle 5 is over!  I try not to give too much away for those that will play it in the future but this battle was a total change of pace and nothing that I was expecting at all!

As the push continues into Kovel two of my panther tanks have hit a minefield and are immobilized around the Czerkasy train stop.  Darkness is falling and my tired and attritted 11th Kompanie is to defend these two tanks and the train stop from an incoming Soviet counterpunch.  

Panthers are stuck on the tracks after hitting mines and the rest of the battallion has moved on.  We must fend for our lives and for ourselves.  My commander pops his head out of the cupola to get a better view in the dark of the situation and is immediately picked off by a hidden sniper.  However, the veteran crew, unshaken, immediately begin returning fire at spotted T-34s emerging from the woods.  Casualties are nothing new to them and they do their part without thinking.

More enemy tanks appear and a fierce tank duel breaks out on both ends between my two immobolized panthers and Soviet T-34s.  Somehow my panthers survive the assault and take down all the attacking armor.

On the other end of the station the smell of burning metal, oil, gunpowder, diesel fuel and death permeate the air.  The Soviet tanks are destroyed in their tracks.  

The enemy infantry push continues in spite of losing their tanks.  They begin to overwhelm and swarm my men.  Desperately we hold on to the train station.  Even my Panzerschreck team adds to the kills.

Darkness has completely fallen and the burning Russian tanks light up the tree line.  

Storming through the woods, lit up by the burning tanks behind, a desperate and bloody struggle ensues around the station.  Men are falling at a horrendous rate on both sides as the Soviet SMGs and German machineguns and MP-40s fling bullets in all directions.

And when it ends, the casualties for a 30 min fight are beyond horrific.  I have completed my task and defended my panthers and the train station but at what terrible cost.  For both sides.  Almost another 100 men have fallen in one very brief and sharp fight.  In the morning though, the attack will continue...

• 2 weeks later...

April 3rd, 1944.  0700 hours.

For the first time in days, the sky is clear and the sun is out.  If anything, at least today my soldiers can feel the sun on their faces after days of snow, blizzards, gloom and fog.

While the main thrust of the German attack to relieve the surrounded units in Kovel will commence from the north, my task this morning is to prevent a Soviet counter attack from reaching those troops and upending my main attack.  We are to capture and occupy two villages as well as the high ground at point 208.

Since we have had time to prepare my attack begins with an artillery strike on the first village of Kalinowka.  10th Kompanie SS Panzergrenadiers will seize the village while 9th Kompanie SS Panzergrenadiers will make their attack on Point 208.

The terrain around Kalinowka is similar to what we have been fighting through the past days.  However, on my right, the open and blasted ground, trench lines and shattered trees in front of us are highly reminiscent of the "No-Man's land" of WWI that is so familiar to my troops from the stories of their fathers.

The wide open space, devoid of any cover other than artillery craters, is nerve wracking and daunting.  My men know what will be asked of them and feel they eyes of the enemy on their every move.  No one believes the Soviets will give up the high ground without a fight.

Rushing forward, under cover of our Assault guns, my troops grab any abandoned trench or shell hole they can find.

The men hunker down and wait for our artillery to soften the enemy before commencing the attack.

The men spread out, move up and take positions to wait.  At least those in the trenches feel some relative safety at the moment.  But the men make no mistake in knowing this is only the quiet before the storm.

Unfortunately, all my Panthers are being utilized for the attack on Kovel itself so for today we will rely only on our STuGs.  And there is nothing worse for them than sitting out in the open with zero cover.

As if on cue, suddenly Soviet infantry is noticed darting into positions on top of Point 208.  

On the other side of our battle positions, 10th Kompanie has also made contact and taken their first casualties.  This quiet morning is about to go all to hell.

The German attacks begin simultaneously on both the left, to quickly seize and overrun Kalinowka, and the right, taking Point 208.  

As my STuGs push violently into Kalinowka destroying anything that moves or shows itself in front of them, 10th Kompanie SS Panzergrenadiers follow behind flushing out and mopping up any survivors while quickly seizing the western end of the village.  The thrust into the Kalinowka is quick and brutal.

However, in combat, troops can be caught in their own tunnel vision. Having already been warned to stay off the roads due to the highly likely possibility that Soviets have mined them, my lead STuG pays the price for the oversight and only the driver gets out alive.  

Speed and overwhelming firepower is the German mantra.  Working in concert with their armor, 10th Kompanie storms into the village.

Covering their push, two platoons of Pioneers move up the left flank with their own halftracks and additional flame tracks to add to the party.

The defenders fight but fall quickly to the heavy onslaught.

The heavy weight of the furious German attack quickly swallows the defenders who run or die where they fight.  Coming from all sides the SS troops swarm over their objective.

On the right, just like in the previous war, yet at a much smaller scale, 9th Kompanie begins their attack and the men go over the top to take Point 208.  The difference in terrain the 10th Kompanie and 9th Kompanie occupy is noticeable.  And more so at the fact that only a few hundred meters seperate the two units.

Pioneers lead the way and storm up Point 208 knowing disaster could be just over the ridge.

Cresting the hill, Soviet defenders rise up just scant meters away.  A quick and deadly firefight ensues and lucky for the Germans, reinforcements are right behind the lead Pioneer team to add more guns to the action.  The Soviets are beginning to cower and fall yet the extent of the enemy positions on the other side of the hill are beginning to reveal themselves.  This is far from over.  

Fast mockup of Stalingrad:

It's about 6 x 15km

Map key:
1. Marzdorf
2. Pyritz-Repenow
3. Seregelyes
4. Eiterfeld
5. Szekesfehervar
6. Pettend
7. Pyritz Lettnin
8. Sinimaed Hills
9. Batzlow
10. Summer in the City
11. Backs to the Wall
12. Berlin West
13. Berlin East
14. Berlin East
15. Rebels in Odessa
16. Bitvagorod
17. Summer in the City

Stalingrad-playpen4-Copy-2.png

Stalingrad-playpen4-Copy.png

Stalingrad-playpen5-Copy.png

Edited by Artkin

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

Fast mockup of Stalingrad:

It's about 6 x 15km

Map key:
1. Marzdorf
2. Pyritz-Repenow
3. Seregelyes
4. Eiterfeld
5. Szekesfehervar
6. Pettend
7. Pyritz Lettnin
8. Sinimaed Hills
9. Batzlow
10. Summer in the City
11. Backs to the Wall
12. Berlin West
13. Berlin East
14. Berlin East
15. Rebels in Odessa
16. Bitvagorod
17. Summer in the City

Stalingrad-playpen4-Copy-2.png

Stalingrad-playpen4-Copy.png

Stalingrad-playpen5-Copy.png

is this divided up by scenarios- and if so, are these scenarios available?  i did notice the 'bitavgorod' section, so ...maybe?

really nice work from what i can see,  look forward to seeing more.

cheers,

rob

Edited by quakerparrot67
spelling

7 minutes ago, quakerparrot67 said:

is this divided up by scenarios?

They are pretty much only Master Maps and a couple smaller ones. Bitvagorod was a scenario I think. , the idea is to let the downloader play with it. 

I was considering following TIK on Youtube and copying his Stalingrad series day by day, but it just wouldnt work out great with this improv map. 

I was planning on making a campaign (On the map) myself and maybe posting it online and see if others would be interested. I was thinking of giving the Germans a couple Jäger divisions and an armored, leaving the Soviets to defend with a similar amount of 1942 kit. 

Thank you, honestly I just slapped these together real fast. 

Edited by Artkin

6 hours ago, benpark said:

That's some interesting, weird stuff.

I do get a strange, physical sensation of pain in my click-hand when looking at 95% it.

If BFC ever lets me take a crack at Stalingrad, I'll be all over that.

Hahaha thanks. It's as crude as it gets but should work mostly fine with my ruleset. Having an operational layer in CM could be this simple and I would be happy. 

Have you considered changing your click function to something different? Like using spacebar instead of clicking? I think this is why they make different mouse designs. It would probably benefit you on the cheap. 

Without you we couldn't even have the mock Stalingrad map. :) I look forward to something like that.