RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

March 28th, 1944. 06:00 hours. 3.0km East of Tupelay.  Overcast, freezing cold and gray.  "Setting the Stage".

Orders to move out and seize and occupy Stare Kazary.  Warnings that the Red Army could be there in force and that casualties may be high.  My StuGs survey the first objective over all that wide open killing field.  Things look grim on top of the horrible weather.  

Combat-Mission-Red-Thunder-Screenshot-20

On my left, Battalion "Germania", German Heer troops recognizable in their splinter camo begin to move forward across the frozen ground.  They are comforted by the StuGs behind them.

Contact!  The snow has made things very difficult for my pixeltruppen who are finding it hard to coordinate an attack without wearing out an entire company before they even get into action.

On my left my men race into a frozen muddy ditch in hopes of finding defilade from the Soviet bullets.

Safety is relative on this battlefield.  The small shrub trees are hell on lines of sight and now the dreaded Soviet artillery is beginning to fall.  

On my right Battalion Germania continues to struggle through the snow, however, they have made their way up the flank of the defenders and one of my MGs gets contacts and begins to open up on the dug in Soviets.

Meanwhile the troops continue to work their way into assault positions while my StuGs also struggle to find lines of sight onto the objective.  My plan is to smoke the village with my StuGs and rush in with two companies at once.  However, the snow and terrain are wreaking havoc with that so far.  We will see...

On 5/14/2022 at 3:55 AM, Lille Fiskerby said:

Once again great screenshots. Hopefully the assault guns can support your infantry.

Thanks!  I misidentified my Heer troop at the beginning, oops.  Your maps are really amazing.  These first two have been really different and entirely immersive.  I say this in all due respect, but this second battle is some of the worst ground I've ever fought over.  😆😎😆

30 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

I say this in all due respect, but this second battle is some of the worst ground I've ever fought over.

It is in the Pripyat marshes. Looked at a lot of pictures from back then and the foliage seemed very "wild, "uncultivated" and based on the old polish maps I tried to create just that. Even today some areas around Kovel is pretty wild based on several "tours" with Google earth camera.

3 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

It is in the Pripyat marshes. Looked at a lot of pictures from back then and the foliage seemed very "wild, "uncultivated" and based on the old polish maps I tried to create just that. Even today some areas around Kovel is pretty wild based on several "tours" with Google earth camera.

It's most excellent.  It's bad enough with the snow but then those muddy/marshy frozen streams and horrid lines of sight, aside from the incoming artillery keep making me change my axis of attack.  Good times!  I will gain a foothold!  The StuGs are proving very valuable, indeed.

Edited by Phantom Captain

Death in the snow.  The artillery has silenced, momentarily, and my troops move back into their previously held positions and are able to give aid.

There is lull in the artillery and the Soviet OPs have been suppressed.  First platoon is across and is clearing the woods to the north.  The time to move is NOW.  It's imperative to take the Stare Kozary rail station before I assault the village.  My men are tired just from running through the low frozen stream.

Los, los, los!

On 5/8/2022 at 11:24 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I'm not sure what that awful noise has to do with WW2. 

You will never change your preset ideas about anything, you are either a complete snob or just really old??? I think both. GFY

German casualties are mounting as the fight for the train station was stiffer than expected.  However, my troops have seized their objectives and will hunker down and catch their collective breath.  

My first StuG casualty.  Victim of an unseen T-34.

In the middle, Stare Kozary West has also been seized after an abrupt and violent struggle.  Panzerfausts and Assault Guns rule the day.

Moving into the village, 10th Kompanie also deserves a rest before beginning to assault Kozary Center.

It's cool to see how effective both the splinter pattern and pea dot/oak leaf/plane tree patterns work in this enviroment.  😎

Battle 2 is over.  My men are exhausted.

The memory of this one for the survivors will be forever burned into the collective German psyche.  It certainly didn't feel like a major victory but I knew the cost would be high as did my pixeltruppen who behaved honorably under such circumstances.  😁

Here my StuGs support the infantry as they did the entire battle.  There would be no victory without them.

Every time there is a lull in one place, ferocious fighting lights up another.  The fight for the village proper was brutal and exhausting.

The enemy runs after putting up a stiff resistance to hold their village.

On my right 10th and 11th Companies run into and stir up more fierce fighting with the Soviets who defend from dug in foxholes and prepared positions.  

There were many individual instances of bravery, courage and loss.  Both sides fought with the intensity of wounded lions.  Around this small farm the men were up close and personal.  Many parts of the battle devolved into close range brutal knife fights, as expected.

By the end, 1st platoon 11th Company only had 10 men left.  Many units are missing comrades in arms today.

Battle 3 awaits....

11 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Here my StuGs support the infantry as they did the entire battle.  There would be no victory without them.

The StuG battalion was a veteran unit, saw action in the Crimea in 42/43 under Manstein. I think I gave one of the platoon commanders elite status, maybe Klapperstück ?

57 minutes ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

The StuG battalion was a veteran unit, saw action in the Crimea in 42/43 under Manstein. I think I gave one of the platoon commanders elite status, maybe Klapperstück ?

Oh I noticed.  I think it was 6 Crack StuGs and yes, Klapperstück was Elite and commanded the whole operation.  Ha!  I made sure he survived. There is no way my infantry could have pressed the way they did without the cover of those guns. This campaign has just been extremely immersive and gripping so far!

4 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

More images from the front...

Apologies I'm a bit late on these.  Beautiful work and nice story-telling.

Silly (aka lazy) question - are these all part of the Breakthrough to Kovel campaign?  If so I really need to try it.