RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

18 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Apologies I'm a bit late on these.  Beautiful work and nice story-telling.

Silly (aka lazy) question - are these all part of the Breakthrough to Kovel campaign?  If so I really need to try it.

Thanks!  It's fun.  I'm trying to keep it succinct and brief but still tell the story without giving too much away.  I had no intention of turning this into and extended AAR, but there you go.  I was inspired.

Yes!!  This is all battle 1 and 2 of the Breakthrough to Kovel campaign!  You MUST try it.  It's been one of the most fun, gripping and immersive campaigns I have played in awhile!  I had no idea what to expect when I started it.

I would love to see someone else's results through the same campaign!

Edited by Phantom Captain

I was thinking more about this and it's really interesting how things change on the tactical level in regards to the operational objective.  Ultimately, we are trying to breakthrough to a surrounded unit so my losses and what it takes to do that become irrelevant weighted to the overall objective.

I have been pushing harder and taking those casualties knowing, ultimately, we must do what it takes to relieve that unit!

Awesome stuff here.

On a similar note I've always felt sorry for the guys heading towards surrounded Stalingrad, only to have to stop short with no attempt at a breakout (for obvious reasons no doubt).  But some might say I'm feeling sorry for the wrong side...

Anyway thanks again for the reminder of a campaign I downloaded but did not immediately get to try 👍.

March 29th, 1100 hours.  The next day...

Today we must make our attack and ultimately breakthrough to our surrounded troops in Kovel.  Defeat is not an option, only total victory will be acceptable to relieve our comrades before their destruction.  High command has tasked  II Battalion, 434th Regt. with the first part of today's mission.  II Battalion is composed of 5th, 6th and 7th Kompanies with 8th Kompanie weapons.  Additional support will come from mortars and artillery guns as well as 16 Panther tanks from Nicoluss-Lecks 8th Kompanie and a battery of 5 StuGs from 2nd Batterie/StuG Bde 190.  

Again, the terrain will be a major factor as there are still snow flurries, it's freezing and there is snow on the ground.  I really must avoid moving through any dense forest, the main being right in the middle of the map.

7th Kompanie, on my right, moves out.  Again the troops are comforted by the sight of so much armor out to protect them today.

Combat-Mission-Red-Thunder-Screenshot-20

3rd Squad, 2nd Zug, 7th Kompanie has the unenviable job of walking point.  In the face of all that open ground and brooding dark forests in the distance, they grit their teeth and move forward...

5th Kompanie is tasked with moving up the center to edge of the forest and then determining their course of action from there.  Unfortunately, they have wounded men from the day before and are proving extremely slow through the snow as the wounded soldiers try to keep up.

On my left, 6th Kompanie has moved up quickly to the railroad tracks running directly through the battlefield and keep an eye out for enemy scouts that have been reported in and around Stare Kozary.  My men do NOT want scouts reporting back our positions.

Because the snow makes my men so slow the Panthers have been ordered to scout forward and "find" the Soviet enemy.

My tanks creep forward, unbuttoned, desperately gazing ahead to find the reported Russians and their AT guns.

The tension is palpable and can be cut with a knife.  30 minutes of moving and scouting has only spotted a squad of Soviets around the tracks and forest in my center, but my Panthers have killed a pair of scouts seen running back to their lines.

Contact!  Russian guns open up and the Panther on my far right breathes a sigh of relief as at least two guns opened on him yet missed with five rounds that churn up the dirt around him and bounce one final round off his glacis as he retreats.

My tank platoon commander radios back and calls for my FO to move up!

On my right, waiting for the artillery a platoon from 7th Kompanie mounts up to storm the enemy's left flank once the artillery and smoke have done their job.  However a few unlucky men get picked off their tank mount by a couple wild stray MG bullets from over 500 yards away.  The panthers wisely back away to wait.

Suddenly, on my left, my Panthers have unmasked the enemy line.  Multiple AT guns open up at once as my Panthers return fire.  However, my line of 10 Panthers has HUGE combat power and it's coiled up and ready to spring.

Unfortunately, my first Panther casualty just so happens to be one of my Crack tanks.  A lucky Soviet AT round pierces the turret instantly killing the commander, yet, the crew manages to get out alive!

An additional Panther has lost its gun but the Soviet guns are silencing.  We have just under an hour to go.  My StuGs are now moving up to support my infantry who have worked themselves into their assault positions.  The storm is about to break...

German pressure on the Soviet's right flank has become unbearable and their line is starting to collapse.

This time the terrain helps funnel my attack into an acute point which overwhelms the defenders...

Many Soviets break and run for their lives.  This very lucky soldier doesn't realize how close he has come to never making it home.

As this portion of the line collapses the way opens for my troops to keep pushing into their objective proper.  Now we must keep applying pressure and dismantling the defenders dug in positions with overwhelming firepower, one by one.  This brave Russian soldier can't take anymore and decides he has had enough for this war...

The end is approaching.  The pincers are closing and only the center holds out against the German onslaught.  Yet, it too is crumbling under the relentless pressure.

Through smoke, snow and fire...

On my left, 6th Kompanie are the heroes of the day.  Because of the speed and fury of their push against the left, the Soviet defenses buckled and broke leading to the collapse of the whole line.

Bursting into their villages my troops heave a sigh of relief and get a huge morale boost as the Soviet defenders melt away like the snow.  Again, 6th Kompanie is the point of the spear.

My Panthers wreak havoc on the Russians, getting in and around their positions and crushing the defenders where they stand and where they run.

Total German Victory as the Russians finally capitulate and surrender.  This battle today does much for my troops as they try to forget the bloody nose they received yesterday.  A couple of my StuGs had their guns damaged and a few Panthers will have to be un-immobilized and repaired, but overall a good morning.  Battle 3 is over!!  

The push will continue...

On 6/7/2022 at 12:35 AM, Lille Fiskerby said:

Cant wait for it ! 😃. Great job so far and thank you for all the great screenshoots, they look very nice.

Thanks!  It's so immersive, the story kind of tells itself.  I have to compliment your maps again.  I have just started battle 4 and I love how deep you have made these maps.  It becomes so important with my on-map mortars as the length of the map is longer than their range so I have to be aware of moving them forward to support the attack!  And now, this fog...

March 29, 1530 hours.  2.5 hours since the end of our last attack.  Aside from combat fatigue my troops now must deal with extreme cold.  A blizzard has stalled the attack but since moved on leaving only light snow. Additionally a blanket of fog lays over our line of attack restricting LOS to only 400m or so.

6th Kompanie, this time, will take the middle and again be the point of the spear.  They are motivated and morale is high after this morning's action. I have faith these men will again do the job required of them.  Additionally, I have 14 Panthers, yet two are damaged from this morning and struggle to keep up due to damaged tracks and engine problems.  The StuG battery is also a few minutes behind.

Once again, forward into battle.

An eerie feeling of familiarity and inevitability grips my men.

Intelligence warns us to be wary of both Russian AT guns dug into well protected positions as well as trench lines and fortifications.  Because of this the Battalion has been granted a company of Pioneers as a support element.

The MG-42 with its nasty bark and even worse bite.  The Engineers are at least dressed for the conditions.

And maybe something to warm the Soviet enemy up a little.  Flamethrowers! (It's been a looong time since I have used flamethrowers in CM!!).  However, just the presence of the Pioneers and the intelligence report makes me very cautious about what is ahead.

We are coming...

I'm trying to produce a campaign for Berlin, i'm building the ,maps and have completely updated and redesigned the mod buildings so now all buildings can be entered and fired from, I found a new solution to do this and it seems to work well, I made a template of where the windows appear on the mod builds, then i either use the default windows with my graphics in them rather tan the other way round, also if cut out I also make a window that fits the space so I can use either, also i have copied the window default window space on the BMP them pasted into the window files, this works really well especially when the window is space is black so as long as the window fits all i have to do is convert the default window into black or dark grey and they hardly notice on the bmp, so this gives the impression of having the glass and frame completely gone and and looks bombed out which is the look I have always tried to achieve before. If anyone with campaign experience want's to join with me and build an amazing campaign then DM e. I've chose a campaign as this will eliminate any need for my complete collection of modded items which is huge. Cheers for viewing and would love to see what you think. 

Again, contact, and exactly as intelligence warned.  The Soviets have prepared positions, interconnected trenchworks and AT guns.  Immediately lead begins zipping around my men.

Unfortunately for my troops who thought it would be comfortable to ride into battle, warming themselves on the heat of the engine, once the bullets start flying the ground seems a much better option...

Hearing the direction of the Soviet Maxims a Pioneer scout element runs to both flank and grab cover.

As the Soviet guns find their range in the fog a couple of them score partial hits that cause spalling and light damage.  My crews feel lucky and thank the Panther armor for their lives.

Exactly where I suspected an entire Soviet trench complex is unmasked in the woods.  Artillery is called.  7th Kompanie begins flanking around, through an AT minefield, to get lines of sight on both the Soviet works and suspected lanes of retreat.

On the other side of the complex, away from the mines, two platoons of Panther tanks relentlessly hammer and spray the Soviet positions slowly driving out and breaking the stubborn defenders.  

This platoon leader has lost both his main gun and radio and moves to yell out the position of the AT gun that hit him to his subordinate.  

Maneuvering on the trench line while both infantry and armor suppress it, my flamethrower does what he does.  If it is necessary to burn them out, then we will burn them out.

Finally an entire platoon of Pioneers assault and carry the Soviet works.

Looking back only a trail of bodies marks where the Soviets have been pushed back, trench line by trench line.

And still, there are more trenches just behind the timber line and a possible newly suspected AT position in another forest beyond the newly spotted line of works.

The fight grinds on.

The marshes and fog are oppressive and the gloom settles over everything.  The men know death is lurking just beyond their range of vision.  And then to confirm it another Panther succumbs to the Soviet AT guns hiding in the fog.  This time only three crew members escape.

https://i.ibb.co/fnXmmRV/Combat-Mission-Red-Thunder-Screenshot-2022-06-19-08-36-32-96.png

More photos from the front.  Scouts move through the fog and gloom of the Pripyat marshes and forests.  

On 6/18/2022 at 2:10 AM, Artkin said:

Our ship got hit by a stuka naval bomber...

CM-Red-Thunder-2022-06-17-20-04-17.png

But their ship is pretty much wiped out too.

CM-Red-Thunder-2022-06-17-20-09-32.png

Hehe nice idea with buildings ! now you have to integreated it to CMBN and cross the British Channel to save the BEF army.. (just kidding) ! could you make a simple short vid or successives screenshots ? 

Follow yours ideas !

JM

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

Hehe nice idea with buildings ! now you have to integreated it to CMBN and cross the British Channel to save the BEF army.. (just kidding) ! could you make a simple short vid or successives screenshots ? 

Follow yours ideas !

JM

Haha, that's what the Worchester map by TheForger is all about. I'm playing a pbem vs the luftwaffe on it right now actually. 

I created a couple more "ships" but unfortunately being unable to create flat roofs in CMRT prevents me from going any further in the 3d Editor. I might be able edit the map in a modern title and then port it back to CMRT.

CMRT has so many big guns. CMFB has a couple but unfortunately for the Germans only. Despite this I could pull off 6" guns pretty reasonably with 2 hummels side by side. Like the Bismark, or Tirpitz, or the Lutzow.

Glad you found it interesting ;)

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Haha, that's what the Worchester map by TheForger is all about. I'm playing a pbem vs the luftwaffe on it right now actually. 

I created a couple more "ships" but unfortunately being unable to create flat roofs in CMRT prevents me from going any further in the 3d Editor. I might be able edit the map in a modern title and then port it back to CMRT.

CMRT has so many big guns. CMFB has a couple but unfortunately for the Germans only. Despite this I could pull off 6" guns pretty reasonably with 2 hummels side by side. Like the Bismark, or Tirpitz, or the Lutzow.

Glad you found it interesting ;)

I might be able edit the map in a modern title and then port it back to CMRT. 

I can only recommand you to import it with closing eyes I am sure this can have a big success for futur modders !

With your model you can perhaps check to , @Aquila-SmartWargames  was making some good stufs on his page with a link on the forum, also I think @37mm or another good modder was making already a boat for CM, perhaps this could be a Combat Mission Sea era we will have "only" to working on a map in "deep" instead in lengh,... to include some u boat to sink yours Bismark or..., just kidding !

JM