Gustav Line.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Infantry formations are probably number one on my CM wish list. One day, I hope they will be included.

I hope they will never make it. Already very much micromanaging possible and with formations it would become even more.

One of the attractions of CM is, that the player does NOT always has available what he would need and he has to cope with the shortcomings.

I hope they will never make it. Already very much micromanaging possible and with formations it would become even more.

One of the attractions of CM is, that the player does NOT always has available what he would need and he has to cope with the shortcomings.

Personally, I don't find it attractive gameplay to have troops running in line ahead when they shouldn't be, or to have to micromanage their waypoints to minimise this unwanted feature. And I don't want the squad (or Italian unsplittable "group") marching line abreast when they should be snaking through the available cover.

Formations at the team or unsplit squad level would be great. Anything more, not so much.

Personally, I don't find it attractive gameplay to have troops running in line ahead when they shouldn't be, or to have to micromanage their waypoints to minimise this unwanted feature. And I don't want the squad (or Italian unsplittable "group") marching line abreast when they should be snaking through the available cover.

Formations at the team or unsplit squad level would be great. Anything more, not so much.

Womble couldn't agree more..really don't think choosing a formation is too much micromanagement for an order..if you still want them to run around in line formation then you don't need to use the option. It would be just a cse of when you set a waypoint you give it a formation..i.e tick a box.

Not sure how a game missing an important mechanic can be seen as some sort of attraction to it..different strokes for different folks I suppose..

if you still want them to run around in line formation then you don't need to use the option.

That's exactly the problem, not the benefit: to achieve good results against good players, they must be used, if available.

More commands and possibilities force players to use the tools delivering better results.

A different thing would be to make these additional commands an option valid for both sides like FoW levels.

That's exactly the problem, not the benefit: to achieve good results against good players, they must be used, if available.

More commands and possibilities force players to use the tools delivering better results.

As opposed to the current situation where (to achieve good results against good players) you have to micromanage every advance across the open to stop your troops queueing up to be shot? If anything, it would reduce the micromanagement level, especially if the TacAI could be induced to use them sensibly.

'More tools' eventually becomes counter-productive. Instead of assisting the player it just confuses him and drive him away from playing. I just counted the commands on a tank's pull-down menu. Seventeen. And tanks don't have breach commands, mark mines or multiple split team commands. How many commands is too many? 25? 30?

I can't understand how people see formation mechanic as too much in a tactical game..surely it's a major part of tactics.

If people don't want formations (which would just be an SOP box to tick) then at least make line formation the way units move rather than column as that way they cover more area will have better spotting and not line up like in a comedy sketch like they are in a queue to get shot.

I can't understand how people see formation mechanic as too much in a tactical game..surely it's a major part of tactics.

If people don't want formations (which would just be an SOP box to tick) then at least make line formation the way units move rather than column as that way they cover more area will have better spotting and not line up like in a comedy sketch like they are in a queue to get shot.

Quite right.

Speaking of formations -- many players (especially newbies) might find this US WW2 training film useful:

http://http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AzEfslwknZs

As the film stresses, platoons should delay deploying their squads into skirmish line formation as long as possible, and only once within small arms range of the enemy (400 yards pr so).

(And yes, that IS a very young Harry Morgan -- future star in films, Dragnet, and MASH -- playing one of the NCOs around the sand table. What a cushy war some of these Hollywood actors got to have, playing soldier in training films while living the good life off camera!)

formations would be pretty neat i hate the single file line thing

There are other games that have similarity to CM2x. One of these does that very formation thing. I will say though that troops don't last very long when sticking to a formation in these games. There is always the guy on the outside who ends up in the open. In CMFI the troops tend to position well by groupings and have a knack for finding good cover most of the time. Especially as centre of axis changes, and terrain. I suppose to have the option to turn formations on or off would be a good thing. But i would play without them.

I'd rather the end man get shot than the first three or four play follow the leader into bullets. Also spotting is severely restricted currently.

Another issue with CMx2 I think is that the soldiers appear totally deaf. If they had some semblance of hearing they'd hear the shots and possible scream of the man in front..not carry on walking to their death.

Another issue with CMx2 I think is that the soldiers appear totally deaf. If they had some semblance of hearing they'd hear the shots and possible scream of the man in front..not carry on walking to their death.

I'm not sure if they can hear enemy fire but they can definitely hear enemy movement, both foot infantry and vehicles.