How bout some 2.0 reviews???

All this whining over $10, etc... Is anyone playing? I'd love to hear some impressions on the improvements. I found the graphical improvements from CMBN to CMBI to be fantastic. Has the 2.0 upgrade brought CMBN up to the level of CMBI???? What about gameplay?

Thanks,

Still too early - but one item that is sure to spark interest is a correction. Has the 2.0 upgrade brought CMBN up to the level of CMBI? CMBN is now ahead of CMFI. There are new additions in the editor. CMFI is now in the catch up role.

Broadsword and I have had a battle on hold now for 5 months, the follow up to Hamel Vallee. It starts again tonight and our expectations are pretty high. The engine should run smoother and the issues we were having (wire bug and a game crash issue) have both been resolved. Depending on how the fight goes maybe we will have another AAR.

One funny thing about gameplay, I'm always forgetting that I have new commands and feature. I dope-slap myself - 'D'oh! I could've just moved that darned waypoint instead of deleting the string of commands!" I do love-love-love the hierarchical spacebar command buttons.

Not noticing 3d differences is a good thing - BFC had streamlined a lot of models to improve framerate and leaned on normal maps to make up for the changes. If you haven't noticed any difference we did our job. :)

The reappearance of draggable waypoints makes fine-tuning navigation orders a breeze. P for pause is now 'target' or something. Target short time (15 secs) is most welcome. But had a 57mm gun have a pair of wandering crew members after deploying, who I found had wandered away half-way across the map by the time the scenario concluded, as I couldn't think of a way to shepard them back.

All in all worth $10 for the positives with still some niggles that got overlooked, and I've still to fiddle with the editor.

All this whining over $10, etc... Is anyone playing? I'd love to hear some impressions on the improvements. I found the graphical improvements from CMBN to CMBI to be fantastic. Has the 2.0 upgrade brought CMBN up to the level of CMBI???? What about gameplay?

Thanks,

Well worth it ... I personally think its much faster than it was.

I just started up a pbem game using the Huzzar! scenario and after plotting my initial movement orders I am very happy with movable waypoints. I had forgotten how useful that feature was, but I am really thankful BF got them back in the game.

I tried the target briefly command on a 2" mortar in the 18 platoon CW scenario last night but unfortunately the mortar operator kept cowering (while his two mates were fine) so I can't report on it. I like the idea of that command, especially for on map mortars with small allotments of ammo.

Visually, I didn't notice any bad shadowing and the shader toggle worked as advertised in Windows 7 x64.

edit: Wicky got in there with most of my points while I was fumbling around the keyboard... good show mate!

Broadsword and I have had a battle on hold now for 5 months, the follow up to Hamel Vallee. It starts again tonight and our expectations are pretty high. The engine should run smoother and the issues we were having (wire bug and a game crash issue) have both been resolved. Depending on how the fight goes maybe we will have another AAR.

Good luck. Might be worth checking whether the magic mortar targeting bug has been fixed in case you want to consider houseruling on direct lay mortars.

Thanks,

Diagonal Walls and roads!!!

I used that in the editor right away. totally excellent.

Did they fix the incredibly slow AT gun limber/unlimber? I deployed an AT gun and found he was behind the house, not peaking out the side, no problem says I, just wheel the gun forward five feet. NOPE!, we have to spend 4 minutes limbering and 3 minutes unlimbering to move that five feet.

So is it fixed? I see nothing in the readme about it.

I think the double row popup menu is a really bad idea. In fact it made me not buy CMFI after trying the demo.

???? Don't. Use. It. Fly out menus. Seen on websites everywhere for ages.

Graphics are better, sharper, cleaner, crisper.

It's worth the $10 just for the artificially night brightener.

I think the double row popup menu is a really bad idea. In fact it made me not buy CMFI after trying the demo.

Well it's a step in the right direction but not executed very well. I had posted my concerns & proposals here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105859

I hope we will see some improvements in the future as I'm really a fan of such menus.

All this whining over $10, etc... Is anyone playing?

LOL Just started a new PBEM game. It was pure joy giving my AT guns and Shrek teams a cover armor arc command.

I know I will just love having the movable way points feature there too - I use it all the time in CMFI. There were lots of 2.0 improvements that I liked but the movable way points did not do anything for my on paper. But playing with them - awesome. That is such a helpful feature.

Well worth the $10 or $10.41 Canadian :)

I haven't had much time yet and will alas, be away from rigs that can run CM for three weeks. However, early impressions are:

--Lots of detail enhancements on the unit models (meaning textures too). Big improvements over v1 Ami/Heer uniforms. Very cool on German and Brit soldier-carried radios. I'm still looking to mods for more color and helmet variation for the Amis, though. I may try to integrate some of EZ's stuff into the v2 stuff.

--Loving the new features like armor arc and movable waypoints.

--Love the new battle select and unit variation select features.

On the flipside, I did get one in-game crash (unusual on my rig). Also, I notice no framerate increase. In fact, I could swear that it runs a bit slower with V2 (everything maxed on an I7-950 with 6GB and a GTX 550 TI 2GB, W7-Ult 64). But I was using translucent trees with v1.11, so that may be skewing expectations. I definitely want those back again.

So, overall so far, a BIG thumbs up!

Did they fix the incredibly slow AT gun limber/unlimber? I deployed an AT gun and found he was behind the house, not peaking out the side, no problem says I, just wheel the gun forward five feet. NOPE!, we have to spend 4 minutes limbering and 3 minutes unlimbering to move that five feet.

So is it fixed? I see nothing in the readme about it.

Those sound like normal limbering and unlimbering times for an AT gun. I think I remember the Pak40 took 4 minutes to pack up and about 2.5 to setup.

sburke,

Grognards gripe, for otherwise we wouldn't be grognards, would we? Besides, it gives Steve something to do!

sburke,

18 Platoon? (Shudders) My mortar guy (before the patch) went to town with his tube. Indeed, he was arguably the most effective man I had, once contact was gained. Of course, most of his compatriots looked like human sieves of one sort or another when they tried to go forward after his prep fire--and ran into, several times, a German bullet buzzsaw. Mortar guy's biggest problem? More targets than ammo!

Javaslinger,

I don't have 2.0 (awaiting clarification on a few points), but I'm really looking forward to the return of Movable Waypoints (what a pain without them) and the all but priceless Cover Armor Arc, which I deem essential to get proper use from bazookas and similar. It also makes possible armored attack with realistic individual tank overlapping sector, unit all round coverage tactics, as well as maximizing effectiveness of antitank guns, especially when ammo's scarce.

MikeyD,

I (alarmingly) resemble that remark. Learning to drive a stick shift was easier than learning CMBN after nothing but CMx1, but nowhere nearly as rough after trying to do cursive writing at a parochial school when they'd learned it the year before, whereas I had never learned it.

Regards,

John Kettler