Upgrade Price Announced

I think what BF is doing with this pricing structure is absolutely freaking awesome. I can’t think of any game publishers that are offering an option to bring your old version up to date with the latest version. In most every case the new version comes with new content and new features (as well as fixes to the engine) but you are forced to pay full price to buy the latest installment and the previous version never gets updated to the current version with all the new enhancements and features.

The only time you see stuff like this is in the free to play space but they still charge you for the updates by making you buy extra units or added features and the cost of those incremental charges covers the cost of the update. BF has sort of created their own version of the F2P scheme but your never forced to buy anything if you don’t want to.

Here’s a suggestion to BF so take it for what its worth. I know MP is not the central focus of CM but if you can figure out some way to make it more of a central focus then I think this will pay off. More people will upgrade and buy modules when they discover they have to upgrade and add more modules in order to play online with others.

This means things like Coop play and even possibly ..... dare I even say it .... a campaign layer might make things interesting for you guys ....

I think what BF is doing with this pricing structure is absolutely freaking awesome. I can’t think of any game publishers that are offering an option to bring your old version up to date with the latest version. In most every case the new version comes with new content and new features (as well as fixes to the engine) but you are forced to pay full price to buy the latest installment and the previous version never gets updated to the current version with all the new enhancements and features.

Agreed. Our "niche" community has been blessed with a group of forward looking developers who LOVE the subject matter. Even if I weren't a wargamer, I can't think of any other developer that has done so much for its customers to make their childhood dreams of playing with plastic soldiers and tanks into such an engaging adult passtime.

I also really like this company (and the community it built) - being a rather fresh customer there are really many positive sites about them that I experienced first hand until now- the only grudge I have with them is that they are super slow on patching process. Everything else rocks!

I will take all the upgrades you have and keep them coming v2, v3 and beyond.

The upgrading of past versions of the game is the best idea you have ever had. Not being a fan of the Russian front but knowing that I will be able to upgrade my current game to the newest version makes me very happy.

Agreed. Our "niche" community has been blessed with a group of forward looking developers who LOVE the subject matter. Even if I weren't a wargamer, I can't think of any other developer that has done so much for its customers to make their childhood dreams of playing with plastic soldiers and tanks into such an engaging adult passtime.

I agree 100%.

Plus they are just pretty straight shooters.

they generally try to do the right thing, plus put up with more than they really need to at times on this forum, but seem to be able to handle it well.

Thanks guys!

DLC = Downloadable Content. It actually has no special meaning. It's just a term to describe a wide range of offering content, via the Internet, for either free or fee. So if someone wants to call this DLC, go right ahead. It's trendy at the very least :D

But technically the Upgrade isn't really "content" since it's features. A Module is more like what DLC is intended to describe, but of course we offer Modules in physical form so it's not really DLC in that case.

Steve

I give, what's a DLC? And don't laugh, I'm an old guy and really don't know.

[Don't laugh, and you get to play on my lawn. Laugh, and out comes the shotgun loaded with rock salt.]

Downloadable Content. It's a term used specifically for extra content for games that is sold separately - eg. you might call the modules as DLC. In some other games you can buy hats for your character.

I wouldn't call the upgrades DLC, though, as they don't add extra content to the game, rather they change the way the game itself behaves.

edit: beaten by Steve

Will the upgrade be available on a disc in addition to a download? If not then how long will the download be available for future installs like if your computer fails and the whole game has to be installed or if you buy a new computer ,etc.

Why not burn it onto your own disc after DLing it?

Michael

I wouldn't call the upgrades DLC, though, as they don't add extra content to the game, rather they change the way the game itself behaves.

You are wrong in every way, these "Upgrades" fill all of the criteria required for it to be called DLC. They do add extra content to the games, vehicles, maps, scenarios (which you can make yourself anyway but thats not the point), or are you saying that all this **** has been hidden in the original code all along and we shouldn't be paying for stuff that we already have?

:confused:

Patch = fixes things that are technically broken or, in some cases, not working as they probably should. Never any new content. Cost = $0

Upgrade = new features or major improvements to existing features. Never any new content. Cost = $10

Module = new game content consisting of units, scenarios, and campaigns. Sometimes terrain. There are no features or fixes included which aren't also available as a free Patch or part of an Upgrade. Cost = $35 or less

Pack = new game content consisting mostly of units. As with Modules, there are no code changes that aren't also available as Patches Cost = not yet determined, but certainly less than a Module

Very straight forward.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/announcement.php?f=137&a=545