Done with CMSF?

I actually miss the game greatly. An unfortunate beta mishap (don't asked) screwed my copy of the game but I've been too tied up with CM:BN lately to reinstall. So I'm in the very odd position of waiting til I'm finished with CM:BN so I can start playing CMSF! Its like living in the Superman comics Bizarro world. :D;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually miss the game greatly. An unfortunate beta mishap (don't asked) screwed my copy of the game but I've been too tied up with CM:BN lately to reinstall. So I'm in the very odd position of waiting til I'm finished with CM:BN so I can start playing CMSF! Its like living in the Superman comics Bizarro world. :D;)

Hmmm...I could either read a lot into what you wrote, or just scratch myself with my Lee Press-on Nails and wait for CMBN...and my printed manual which is at the printers already.

<scratch scratch>

.....purrrrrrrrrr......

Ha! Just yesterday I fired up an old CMSF mission with Brits v Uncons and I found myself goggling at the Modern Era vehicles, particularly the Scimitar. They are so much cooler than almost any WW2 vehicle (I reserve a special place in my heart for the Churchill tank though). I am definitely going to go back and spend a bit of time developing something short for that title after CMBN is released. I still have three maps I made for the NATO module that never got used as well as an earlier Dinas map that I just can't believe that I never used as it's a beaut.

Agreed that CMSF QBs feel very poor after playing around with the WW2 QBs. However, you can get some really good ones if you select UNCON Red opponents.

Yeah I'll still play it, the only problem is the quick battles aren't exactly the best on the planet, I would easily pay to have the QB features from Normandy ported to SF - yeah I know, never gonna happen.

This is why I never bought SF, and never will. I do look forward to SF2 with a proper QB system.

I mostly play pbem. All CMx2 versions. I don't really favor one setting over the other.

'WW2' is the classic 'low-tec' setting. Mass and firepower at 'close' range are mostly the deciding factors.

'Modern' is the 'complex puzzle' setting. All is fast, ultra-precise even at very long range hyper-deadly and 'un-fair'. It's mostly 'hide-shoot-hide' tactics or plain massacres.

Afghanistan is kind of middle ground between WW2 and Modern. The concealed pearl in the series, but to exotic for most and as such not as much supported by the community which is a pitty.

Hmph. Maybe the question should be: "Once I start playing CMBN, will I ever go back to CMBB, or CMAK?" CMBN looks so good, that it may completely displace CMx1 from my gaming schedule. If so, I will be agitated every second until the arrival of a Russian Front module to satisfy my preference for the furious fighting on the steppes! (Will there never be a France, 1940 module? {wails piteously})

I don't mean to diss CMSF, though. It never resonated for me, but that's because I'm an old fart, cut my teeth on the TV shows "Combat", "The Gallant Men", "Twelve O'clock High", etc. Twenty years of military service, and never once smelled gunsmoke, except on firing exercises. But there's a new generation of fighters on this forum that have been tested in the crucible of combat in Iraq, and Afghanistgan -- it's great that CMSF exists, and that it resonates with the experience that they had on the ground, in that very intense environment. The fact that CMSF clicks with the warriors that experienced the fighting in the Middle East is a great testament to just how good CMSF is. My hat is off to all you combat veterans. Keep sharing your experience on the forums, here.

I adore CMSF - especially the latest NATO module which is so diverse. The campaigns are much more of a challenge. I will be keeping this on my hard drive along with the new Normandy title. Although I'm sure Normandy will become my favourite, I will probably pine for modern warfare at some point. I've also got Afghanistan which is completely different once again.

I would still be playing CMSF with Marines and Brits...however I think I'm going to have problems installing it...last time I installed I had to do an offline activation...then my system went down so had to reformat and when I re installed instead of using Win 7 32bit I upgraded top Win 7 64 bit...so I have a sneaky suspision that I will not be able to activate the game..though I did keep the offline activation tex doc...I expect putting Win 7 64 bit on stops it from working..

I also trained on and used many of the weapons available for the US Army in CMSF, so it will always hold a special place, both in my heart and on my hard drive. I was stoked when a modern setting CM game was made, so I will never stop playing CMSF. When CMBN is released, I will play the crap out of it for quite a while, I know this. However, when I am burnt out on CMBN, CMSF will be waiting with open arms to relieve the frustration of not hitting the enemy tank on the first round when I really, really need to.

Yeah CMSF wont get looked at by me when CMBN is released. Prefer historical , prefer temperate , plus CMBN has new stuff too like water, bridges, ammo per unit values instead of the ammo bars , will be 100s of little things like this that will make it better. When CMSF 2 makes an entry into the temperate environment i will be interested again , it will have a tonne of new stuff too. CMSF has created some interest in modern combat i will admit. Oh and when a great modern combat film comes out its sometimes relights the modern combat flame for me , recreate the situation , stuff like that can sometimes renew interest. Suspect CMSF will always feel a bit limited compared to CMBN.

I'm sure I'll ignore SF for a few months when the new one comes out but I'll go back to it eventually. I love the modern setting; all the gear; street fights against fanatical Hezbollah; Challys, Abrams and Leopards roaring past; RPgs, AK's and all sorts. There is simply no other game like it out there. I even love the mythical 'all those boring maps with nothing but a single palm tree in them.' ;)

I like the WW2 setting but, you know, I kind of get this deja-vouz feeling after a while. That said I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thankfully, this is exactly what we predicted back in 2003 when we decided to do Modern as our first CMx2 release. And that is there's plenty of room for both settings rather than it being an either or. At least it's that way for enough people to make it very much worth our while to have both on offer.

To reassure you guys where we, Battlefront, stand on this topic:

We have lost none of our fire and interest in Modern warfare either. WW2 is super fun and a joy to come back to after our break from it, however we are totally in love with Modern warfare (though we wish everybody could just get along!).

CM:SF 2's setting is still a little bit flexible. However, for sure it will be built on top of what CM:BN has already achieved, including the temperate environment. Red Force will be a "worst case" scenario instead of the CM:SF "likely case" scenario. It should be a lot of fun!

Steve

However, for sure it will be built on top of what CM:BN has already achieved, including the temperate environment. Red Force will be a "worst case" scenario instead of the CM:SF "likely case" scenario. It should be a lot of fun!

Steve

Does that mean... Mecha Putin??? :eek:

I'm not particularly interested in modern combat, but I enjoyed CMSF as much as I could. I bought it primarily as a way to see where the engine was headed when it went back to WWII, plus I trust Battlefront to make innovative games no matter what (but I'm not getting that Space Lobsters game- No sci-fi for me!). It was a long wait, though and I wouldn't put too much stock in people's enthusiasm based on past purchases for modern combat. I suspect more than a few people are in the same boat- happy that they came along for the ride, but it wasn't their boat.

The real killer for me with CMSF was the desert environment. Coupled with the deadliness of the weapons, it's just not as interesting as European WWII for me by a long (long) shot (which usually hits in modern desert combat).

The game that I really want I will have to wait for- the Soviet/German game set. It looks like a long wait, so I'll be quite happy with the western front for the time being.

When CM goes back to modern, I may (somewhat grudgingly since it further delays the above modules) get it if it's Soviet/Allied combat circa 1970-90. If it's any "future" type thing, I'm going to stick with the WWII stuff.