Done with CMSF?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short answer is no, not done with CMSF.

Whilst waiting for CM:BN, I downloaded the demo of CMSF to get familiar with the engine and the mechanics. Had great fun. Remembered I`d got a paradox copy which I`d installed once and not really persevered with, like other people have said, a big learning curve!

Once re-installed, promptly order the 3 bundle module set..and I`m having a ball.

I`d agree that if you don`t like the way it plays (interface etc) then I`d imagine you`d struggle with CM:BN.

I have all the ToW versions, and finally took ToW1 off my hard drive, so I am weird. Naturally, I will go back to CMSF for a long time. And why not? They are different and both will remain of interest. But CMBN will have that special aura, because it actually happened. I agree the Syria thing was a weak link. Why didn't they just do a "flashpoint Germany" theme?

With things heating up in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, etc etc there would be a huge revival of interest in new CMSF scenarios. Suddenly, the concept is not merely hypothetical.

I can't think of any other computer game that can cover the current events.

Prior and during the Gulf War, DoD even brushed off old cardboard games like GULF STRIKE to help plan things. (Of course that game was strategic-operational and I think did also deal with logistics.)

I'm starting to warm up some to the CMx2 engine. Wish work wasn't so busy so I could spend more time with it and be more familiar with it when Battle for Normandy is released. Biggest thing is miss from the CMx1 engine is the LoS and Target lines. Am I doing something wrong not to be seeing those? Getting more used to moving the camera around, but it still seems clunky compared to CMx1.

As for CMSF in particular.....despite the (highly) upgraded graphics that are to be expected for a game that is years newer than the CMx1 games, I find the maps and vehicles....well, ugly and boring compared to CMAK, which was also a desert module. I'm sure Battle for Normandy will be much more interesting in that regard.

Blasphemy!

I love CM:SF and will definitely play both even being an original WWII aficianado. I really do like the modern setting and weapons and have found I'm quite good at using them! Which may actually be one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. I love using the British Forces too and am mucho excited to get more into the German campaign once the Panzerfaust bug is fixed. Love love love the modern Marder and that 20mm autocannon. All that being said I REALLY like Afghanistan too!

CM:BN will take top tier for a good long while I imagine but I'll never stop playing the modern settings. I'm sure I'll have a PBEM of each incarnation going pretty much all the time.

Played the demo a few yrs ago, but couldn't get into the desert thing. Me+desert=0. I must be traumatized or something....

Played the updated demo last week, and WOW, gameplay is MUCH better!

But, still can't get into that desert thing..... yeah, there's mods and all, but the improvements for BN will be worth the wait...

Biggest thing is miss from the CMx1 engine is the LoS and Target lines. Am I doing something wrong not to be seeing those?

It's been a while since I CM1-ed, so I can't be accurately comparing SF with x1, but you do get a LoS/LoF line when you hit "Target" as the order, and, most usefully, you can click on any waypoint and see what the LoS from that waypoint is. If you've been laying waypoints you have to right-click off that mode, then you can left-click on a waypoint of the selected unit. The LoS/F line originates from the location of the selected vehicle, but the ability to target is based on the waypoint's location.

Getting more used to moving the camera around, but it still seems clunky compared to CMx1.

As a newbie, too, I found that operating with the camera pretty much glued to the units made orientation much easier. Tab whips the camera to looking the way the currently selected unit is, at whatever height you've currently got it, and "View Lock" appears in text at bottom middle of your screen. Using the rotate keys (Q/E by default) switches to "Unit Lock". Hitting Tab again, or moving the camera laterally or longitudinally will de-lock the camera. If you go "Next/previous unit" with a lock on, it will be locked to the viewpoint of the unit you switch to.

I was actually very impressed with the graphics of the vehicles and infantry when I first got CMSF..took be by suprise how good they where...especially compared to CMBB and CMAK...Sometimes the running animation can look abit odd (looks like they are in one of my nightmares where your legs move but you don't seem to be getting anywhere, obviously not that bad but at times it does seem like they should be covering more ground going by their leg movement) but apart from that very minor niggle I love the animations in CMSF and it's modules...my main gripe was the shadows but I have them turned off now so again nothing major..

Thanks womble, that helped.

I found the time to play a couple more battles yesterday, and I no longer think CMSF sucks. Getting used to the interface was and continues to be my biggest hurdle. I also continue to be amazed at how damn lethal everything is. In two different scenarios, I managed to flank the enemy with a Bradley and both times the Bradley took out what had to be an entire squad of enemy troops almost instantaneously. One second they were fine, two seconds later they were dead.

I think I wont go back too. CMSF was fun for a while but I dont see myself playing again with javelins and laser accurate auto cannons. Plus we have water now and bridges and QBs with cherry pickin and kill stats and and..

+1 unless I feel like modelling something I just watched on the TV news :)