Done with CMSF?

My CMSF days are over.I was never thrilled about the choice of fictional modern combat in Syria.I slowly got comfortable with the original game because of the game engine and bought all of the modules.I did have some very enjoyable battles and the modern style grew on me a little I will admit.I just cant see myself going back to CMSF at all, not with all the great WW2 stuff scheduled to come out from Battlefront.Its always been about WW2 for me.Is anyone else done with CMSF?Or will you play both?Or stick with just CMSF?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what everyone has against CMSF. I feel a much stronger attachment to the modern era, as these weapons (at least at the infantry squad level) are ones that I used when I was in the infantry. I don't know, I guess it is easier for me to connect with it, then I do with WW2. That's not to say that I will not find myself immersed in CMBN, but I don't think I will stop playing SF just because a new game is out. I think it's an awesome game.

Heh, I just DL'd the demo a couple weeks back to see if my 8 year old puter could hack CMBN and liked it so much, I bought SF plus all the modules, so I'm just discovering it. I really didn't think I'd give a rat's ass about it. I tried the demo when it first came out and it was buggy as hell. v1.31 is very, very well done.

I will probably play CMBN more because it is a more advanced version of the engine with more capabilities and two roughly even forces, but I will still play CMSF for the modern setting. Being able to play around with the equipment and tactics that are in use today, in a game that is more simulator than any other game out there, is attractive to me and I look forward to CMSF2!

Well, maybe a European or Asian battle fronts could bring me back :) 2011 conflicts or Cold War battles.

I would love to see a Nato/WP module, circa 1978-1982, for CMSF someday. A WWIII setting would open up all sorts of possibilities for battles around the globe.

BTW: Has BF said anything about their future plans for CMSF? Is the modern setting done, or will they continue to explore it?

I would love to see a Nato/WP module, circa 1978-1982, for CMSF someday. A WWIII setting would open up all sorts of possibilities for battles around the globe.

BTW: Has BF said anything about their future plans for CMSF? Is the modern setting done, or will they continue to explore it?

Apparently there are plans for a CMSF2 with a modern setting in a temperate climate and more even sides, but that's about all we know.

For some reason, CMSF never grew on me, though I did buy it and messed with it for a while. I've tried to fathom why this was so and the only thing I can think of is that the Post-9/11 wars have had me so depressed and upset, that it is an emotional sore point for me and I can't quite enjoy the games just as games.

WW2 on the other hand is my meat and potatoes era, if you will, so the new CM game is something I'm very much looking forward to immersing myself with - not to mention all the WW2 follow ons that are bound to come afterwards.

For some reason, CMSF never grew on me, though I did buy it and messed with it for a while. I've tried to fathom why this was so and the only thing I can think of is that the Post-9/11 wars have had me so depressed and upset, that it is an emotional sore point for me and I can't quite enjoy the games just as games.

WW2 on the other hand is my meat and potatoes era, if you will, so the new CM game is something I'm very much looking forward to immersing myself with - not to mention all the WW2 follow ons that are bound to come afterwards.

Excellent point on my lack of enthusiasm towards the CMSF theater.It was hard to play that game knowing our young men and women were currently giving their lives and limbs in the same type of war as CMSF.

Excellent point on my lack of enthusiasm towards the CMSF theater.It was hard to play that game knowing our young men and women were currently giving their lives and limbs in the same type of war as CMSF.

I empathise with your thoughts there but really that can be said of any war. I had a distinct shortage of Uncles growing up because of WW2.

For me the experience of wargaming brought their reality a little closer to me so I could get a small inkling of what they may have gone through.

Modelling the modern genre I believe makes us better equipped to understand the issues at hand and maybe make better choices when we are judging the politicians who put our children in these situations.

Yeah I'll still play it, the only problem is the quick battles aren't exactly the best on the planet, I would easily pay to have the QB features from Normandy ported to SF - yeah I know, never gonna happen.

I just love modern Russian kit and the challenges that come with modern weapons.

As said though, the updated engine in BN is veeery attractive.

CMSF has really grown on me lately, the pace and tactics just finally "clicked" with me a few months ago. I do still plan to finish the big pile of user made campaigns I have accumulated. Need the final patch so I can do the NATO ones as well.

That said, I see myself playing CMBN more than I ever played CMSF, but a change of pace every now and then is nice.

CMSF has really grown on me lately, the pace and tactics just finally "clicked" with me a few months ago. I do still plan to finish the big pile of user made campaigns I have accumulated. Need the final patch so I can do the NATO ones as well.

That said, I see myself playing CMBN more than I ever played CMSF, but a change of pace every now and then is nice.

Same here. A year ago I might have said differently, but as much as I prefer WWII to modern combat, with all the modules SF is just too good to retire.