CMBN Manual is up

You can probably create your "Tank Holes" with the finely tuned editor! :)

Just got done with page 110.....90 more to go, but I will probably go back and re-read everything again. Ahh is the demo coming out soon then.. LOL

Yeah that's how I make them in SF, but you can't do that for QBs :(

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the rank insignia page (great idea, BTW), is there a reason why there is a 'stripe' in the middle of the Feldwebel's insignia? It's not something that's seen on any of the other German rank insignia.

It could be seen as a Officer Candidate? possibly.... One who is being groomed to be an officer, the Germans did this alot, in fact in our German Reenactment group one of our NCO's has this "ribbon" if you will, indicating that he is an officer candidate...

I am pretty sure they were steering that direction, although if you look up german army insignia, you will see that the officer candidates have 2 silver cords over their lapels. You can check it on Wikepedia or other sources. :) Hope that helps.

source: Wikepedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_German_Army_Ranks_and_Insignia#Officer_candidates.2C_F.C3.A4hnrich near the bottom you can see the German Color coordination for the different branches that they served. CMx1 they really did a good job with the uniforms etc.

I was taught to say at least as many positive things about something I wanted to say something negative about so:

+ I am very happy to see the manual available online

+ The content seems exhaustive and detailed.

- There is room for improvement in the usability department. This is an awkward format. I'd skip the cool looks (and sound!!) for being able to access the info easily.

- PDF, please. I honestly feel sorry for non-steelbox buyers if this is the only manual they will get.

Personally I'll pass until the pdf-version arrives in my mailbox but then again I'm only an old fart with dim sight (and maybe a too hi-res monitor).

I was taught to say at least as many positive things about something I wanted to say something negative about so:

+ I am very happy to see the manual available online

+ The content seems exhaustive and detailed.

- There is room for improvement in the usability department. This is an awkward format. I'd skip the cool looks (and sound!!) for being able to access the info easily.

- PDF, please. I honestly feel sorry for non-steelbox buyers if this is the only manual they will get.

Personally I'll pass until the pdf-version arrives in my mailbox but then again I'm only an old fart with dim sight (and maybe a too hi-res monitor).

There is a full pdf manual that comes with the game (and if older releases are to go by, also a print-friendly version for people with a lot of toner). The web manual is just a teaser. The pdf also gets updates with new patches :).

Hi,

I think I found a minor mistake, browsing through the manual. Maybe you want to correct it in an update in the future. On page 177 "[...] the firing port for the driver's MP44 was removed." Looks like a typo -> MP40.

What I found interesting as a MAC user (p. 150): "Mod tools are only available for the PC version at this time."

And if I'm allowed to make a suggestion for improvement:

1. when you zoom in on a page, a mouse click outside of the zoomed in page should close the page

2. when you zoom in on a page, l+r arrow keys should allow to navigate to the previous/next page

I think this is easy to implement and for sure a standard in terms of usability.

Yeah, I have a little wood now, and it's cause of the manual. I tell ya, the words "I have just read the CMBN manual" should be enough to get you laid the way we've been going about it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

REFRESH MONKEYS!!!! UNITE!

I no longer have the eye site to read either. I have no problem reading any of the manual. First I use "control +" to enlarge the type in first window. Then use the reader magnifier and it fills my screen. ;)

Very nice tip! :)

And to Battle Front: There is no greater honor for a writer than to have his/her work accepted as primary reading for the latrine. Your fine manual certainly qualifies. Very well written and easy to understand!

:) the ipad hurts my eyes due to its backlight. Also cannot be read in good natural light. Kindle just gets better the more natural light u have. Amazingly clear.

kindle fits in my pocket.

Will be good for toilet, park, bus, train, TV etc reading. What a modern world we live in.

Thats because Ipads aren't great readers due to the screen...where as dedicated readers like Kindle have a special screen which means you can read it anywhere even in the sun...

If you want a reader don't rely on the Ipad...

Ranger33, I have read the entire thread and it seems the solution to your problem is as follows:

Step1: Buy an iPad and a Kindle.

Step 2: Sit on the toilet and read the manual.

I think there is supposed to be a step in between step 1 and 2 (because I have both and iPad and a toilet, but I am still sitting here in front of my computer).

Yes, that step is how do I get it on my Kindle if it isn't a PDF? The Kindle is good for a lot of things but going to websites is not one of them.

Alright, now that I've actually delved into the manual and read a good bit in detail, I had to take a second to comment further.

I agree with the (already stated) minor quibbles regarding the format but as far as the content, it's really well done. A few syntax/grammatical errors aside, it's informative, concise, comprehensive and well...actually enjoyable to read, which is a rarity for game manuals (and uh, the majority of the content of the internet).

Well done guys, and thanks again for taking the time to do it.

Thanks for the manual, BFC! It is really well-written, and much better than the CM:SF manual. I actually now understand the difference between Exit After and Exit Before, and that is no small feat considering that the detailed thread on the CM:SF board about the difference, while helpful, still left me a little shaky. For that matter, the whole Editor section is very well done!