A lot of old timers coming back

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Close Combat, except it wasn't 3D but top-down and it used sprites instead of full animations. The first installment was set in Normandy though. I think it came out in '97 or '98.

Michael

Ok that sounds like it. :) Thanks.

Yep, that would be me. I completely skipped CMx2 as I had zero interest in playing a modern combat simulation. Battle for Normandy will be the first game I have purchased from Battlefront.com since CMAK. Interesting idea on downloading the demos, however. It surely wouldn't hurt me to practice the interface before the "real deal" is released. Lord knows I suck at Starcraft 2, which is what I've been playing while I wait for Battle for Normandy.

same here :)

i bought CMSF but didn't play more than 5 missions but still playing with Ak and barbarossa.

i have a few interest in moderm tactics and i don't really like playing a game where reals soldiers aren't playing at all :/

it's better for me if it's historic or fantasy

Its been a while since I have done anything on the forum but I have trolled it for years.

I guess have a new CM on WW2 was what it took for me to get more interested since CMAK. I never got into CMSF because my system at the time couldn't handle. In the past year I did get a new system and CMSF along with all 3 modules recently in anticipation of the new game.

Hope to challenge some of you soon online.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

Quiet, young whippersnapper. Respect your elders... Why I remember downloaded the beta demo when it was new... IT was a long download on that primitive DSL, So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

(with apologies to Grandpa Simpson)

• 3 weeks later...
With all the excitement in the air due to the pending release of the Normandy game, I am noticing a lot of the "Old Timers" coming back to the forum.

You called?

I must admit it's been a while since I joined this forum as user no. threehundredsomething. Little info block on the top right informs me that my last login was 11-26-2008.

Time is running quick - only the PENG thread runs eternal (or so it seems ;-) )

I played all three of the original CMx1 games. At the time when CM:BO was released I was a big fan of the Close Combat games ... but CM knocked the crap out of those!!! (as all of us old-timers know so well!)

I just could never really get into Shock Force. I liked the interface A LOT ... but just never liked the setting. Desert ... dominating NATO forces vs. AK-47 toting rebels. ... the power of hand-held weapons like Javilins and anti-tank missiles ...... And the history was just not there.

WWII was such a balanced war ... big powers slugging it out with everything technology had to offer at the time.

It's been 10 LONG years! ... but my dream-game has finally arrived! ... and my wife is PISSED!!!!

This is everything and more that I could have hoped for and I know that the the BF team and the modding community will be working for many years to come to continue to make it even better.

Personally, I hope that BF makes some BIG BUCKS off of this so they can even pour more manpower into the coding! .... I know they are in it for passion and not just the bucks (but bucks help too!) ... therefore, they will use their new-found resources wisely.