A lot of old timers coming back

Hello to all, both the old and new...

I was there at the start of CM and did it all big time for a few years back then. It was an exciting new game that appealed to me since I don't have a quick mouse finger and I liked realism and strategy. The turn play and email turns fit me perfectly. I could drink beer and take a day to figure out what to do next. Of course, I was disappointed when CM did things that undermined my tactics, but I lived to play again...

But the vibrant online community of like-minded souls was the heart of it. Back then, I mouthed off on the Peng thread forum. Traded trash and played games with a few fellow Peng guys. Mostly got beat after they got better and I didn't. But I always loved the original setting in ETO which matched my reading list of U.S. WWII history. And I had lots of attitude, which was crucial back then. If you couldn't throw an interesting insult, you were dead meat...

I've been gone for several years now while living Real Life for better and worse. I'm kinda "retired" from a real job these days and wanting to doing things I actually enjoy like biking, kayaking, hiking, drinking (like a fish as always), and trying to have more fun. So here I am playing the new CM with better gameplay and graphics I always wanted. I never got into the East Front or Africa, and I NEVER wanted to play modern war in the Middle East. But I always hoped Battlefront would realize that guys like me wanted a better ETO Western Front game. It took a long time, but now they apparently have done it, so I'll buy the new game and give it a try...

I don't know who's left here from the old days. But I'm definitely back in the game now that CMBN is out for Mac. I left Windoze long ago and will never return. So I'm an authentic "old guy" and look forward to having some good times with the new CM. And I hope to have some fun with you guys, no matter when you joined up. Most of you are far better than me, but I'm THE LAWYER who everybody loves to hate and beat to a pulp. Hmmm... Maybe I should change my monicker to The Priest...

Hey, it's all about the camaraderie of enjoying CM, so I'll see you around...

Jake

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I couldn't remember my old login details I had to make a new one!

I noticed Grog Dorosh has been banned. I can only guess due to shock force?

Heh I banned my self after shock force, the intial release was awful. CMBN is much better, just took a week or two of learning the UI, and using the direct alt hot key file. Relative hotkeys do nothing for me.

olde ones I've not seen have been Andreas, and bullethead. The later is betatester/employee of the excellent distant gun series of naval games. Not seem old salt.

That makes sense after seeing the residual venom leaching from him on the gamesquad forums concerning certain developers.

The truth is he got into a personal feud with some other members and just wouldn't let it drop. And with that, I think we should let the matter drop.

Michael

My favorite old timer memory was the whole "kerfluffle" over the initial review by The Wargamer and the resulting schism that dragged the whole boards down for a while until The Wargamer finally came to their senses and basically wrote this whole review that was like..."yeah we were still right in our initial review, but here are some further thoughts that are more in line with reality..."

I remember trying to work with Steve shortly before the release of CM:BO on getting some ASL conversion documentation together in terms of doing scenario conversions. Once everyone got the game it became apparently, quickly, that the engine was well suited to doing it's thing and not trying to replicate the fun of ASL.

And I have weighed in on this same topic again in 2011 with CMBN. So...forum young'ns sometimes us old timers have seen and forgotten more than you know. ;)

It's actually blast taking the CMx2 engine for a run through Normandy. I'm truly re-learning everything at this point. The depth and sophistication that CMBN adds over the CMx1 based games is fantastic. I feel like each choice has far more consequence than in previous games. Things that were abstracted and could be used as crutches no longer work that way and it's a great new day for WW2 tactical gamers.

Hello to all, both the old and new...

I was there at the start of CM and did it all big time for a few years back then. It was an exciting new game that appealed to me since I don't have a quick mouse finger and I liked realism and strategy. The turn play and email turns fit me perfectly. I could drink beer and take a day to figure out what to do next. Of course, I was disappointed when CM did things that undermined my tactics, but I lived to play again...

But the vibrant online community of like-minded souls was the heart of it. Back then, I mouthed off on the Peng thread forum. Traded trash and played games with a few fellow Peng guys. Mostly got beat after they got better and I didn't. But I always loved the original setting in ETO which matched my reading list of U.S. WWII history. And I had lots of attitude, which was crucial back then. If you couldn't throw an interesting insult, you were dead meat...

I've been gone for several years now while living Real Life for better and worse. I'm kinda "retired" from a real job these days and wanting to doing things I actually enjoy like biking, kayaking, hiking, drinking (like a fish as always), and trying to have more fun. So here I am playing the new CM with better gameplay and graphics I always wanted. I never got into the East Front or Africa, and I NEVER wanted to play modern war in the Middle East. But I always hoped Battlefront would realize that guys like me wanted a better ETO Western Front game. It took a long time, but now they apparently have done it, so I'll buy the new game and give it a try...

I don't know who's left here from the old days. But I'm definitely back in the game now that CMBN is out for Mac. I left Windoze long ago and will never return. So I'm an authentic "old guy" and look forward to having some good times with the new CM. And I hope to have some fun with you guys, no matter when you joined up. Most of you are far better than me, but I'm THE LAWYER who everybody loves to hate and beat to a pulp. Hmmm... Maybe I should change my monicker to The Priest...

Hey, it's all about the camaraderie of enjoying CM, so I'll see you around...

Jake

Then get your lawyerly fanny back into the CessPool. We miss you ... mostly because you're an easy victory but being you we have to go with something.

Joe

I'm finding out there's something new to learn about CMBN every time I play, but I have a sneaky feeling that isn't because of what they put in the game.

And what's up with the unreadable font on the low contrast pages in the manual? This may be what finally makes me go out and get some reading cheaters, dammit.

Well Joe, where were you to defend me tonight when Michael Emrys (yes, THAT Michael Emrys who lorded over us) attacked me with what appeared to be Real Wit? And where the hell is the Cesspool these days?

I've been gone a long, long time, Joe. I almost got cleaned up, although I got in trouble once again on another forum this evening for attacking a witless knave who thought he could top THE Lawyer. But you know better... So where are you guys on the forum these days? Is Elvis still dead? Has Peng and/or Seanachai yet risen from the dead? Did any of you get a much needed brain transplant? Inquiring minds want to know...

Well Joe, where were you to defend me tonight when Michael Emrys (yes, THAT Michael Emrys who lorded over us) attacked me with what appeared to be Real Wit? And where the hell is the Cesspool these days?

I've been gone a long, long time, Joe. I almost got cleaned up, although I got in trouble once again on another forum this evening for attacking a witless knave who thought he could top THE Lawyer. But you know better... So where are you guys on the forum these days? Is Elvis still dead? Has Peng and/or Seanachai yet risen from the dead? Did any of you get a much needed brain transplant? Inquiring minds want to know...

Why do you seek him here? Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Peng has risen (in Pennsyltucky) just as he said.

Good lord man have your wits completely deserted you? They weren't much to start with of course but now it appears they've bolted at the first whiff of black powder.

And what's with this "defend me" crap ... we're talking about Michael here ... it's like putting a Tiger up against an M8 ... you being the Tiger. Mind you it's a Tiger with misaligned tracks, a suspension that's going south and a recalcitrant turret traverse but still a Tiger.

Here's a clue, look for PENG in the thread title ... {sheesh, the OLDE Lawyer wouldn't have had to be told}

Joe

For me, it's mostly about the setting. The WWII Western front setting is the base motivator, it was my father's war. I own CMBB and CMAK, but barely played them.

As to the modern stuff, no thanks. I don't know if it's lack of interest or if it's just too close to home, but there's just no appeal there. I'm glad the modern themed games kept the ball going forward, but that's about where my interest ends.

I don't know about any old timers vs. newbs vs. deserters stuff. I'd hope that BF slaps us all with the label of "customers" and treats us accordingly.

I've been playing CMBB and AK from the start and a few other BF games but my primary interest is WW2 and my brother in law fought in France 40, Russia 42/43 and France again 44 (captured around Hill 112). Just passed 4 years ago.

Greets to all the old lost souls coming back into the forums. Warpy, still got the bunny like the one Rommel had? Foobs! Lawyer! Next time can you take Joebob with you?

Rune

Well I'm glad to be here!

We would have take JoeShaw with us on our Battlefront Sabbatical, but I dont think he is fit for anywhere else.

So where do I get a game on here now?

It used to be the Madmatt's CMHQ; Im scared to go in the 'pool. I was afraid it was still here, but its gotten even worse in there... I dont think they are even speaking english anymore. Its some weird scottish accent-monty pythonese grognard hybrid. Cant understand a word of it...

Foobar

Well I'm glad to be here!

We would have take JoeShaw with us on our Battlefront Sabbatical, but I dont think he is fit for anywhere else.

So where do I get a game on here now?

It used to be the Madmatt's CMHQ; Im scared to go in the 'pool. I was afraid it was still here, but its gotten even worse in there... I dont think they are even speaking english anymore. Its some weird scottish accent-monty pythonese grognard hybrid. Cant understand a word of it...

Foobar

We are the embodiment, the very soul of the BFC Forums ... our name is Legion ... resistance is ... FUTILE !

Joe