Is the AI Improved over origional CM?

A word on viruses (viri?). There's a difference between CM mods, maps, scenarios etc and mods for different games.

CM content doesn't get installed - it's never ran, it's interpreted by the game. Scenarios are loaded etc. Just make sure if they are zipped/RAR'd they get unpacked by the correct software.

Other games mods are installed - therefore they are ran by the PC, therefore they have a chance to install cack.

Operator vs operand. Different thing, different potential for naughtyness.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate but you didn't say you were asking about quick battles. However that aside - the STRATEGIC AI plan has still to be done by the map designer. There are no random maps generated in CMBN like there were done in CMX1. All maps in CMBN are created and a generic AI Plan (or plans) created. Mark Ezra has done a ton of work on this and has created some great QB action.

Sometimes you guys are just too diplomatic. It is appreciated by those genuinely interested in the game, but some posts you can look at and pretty much guess the OP never intended to be swayed. They just wanted to take a shot for whatever reason before they wander back to whatever forum they learned that level of behavior from.

Really is a shame as I just downloaded LongLeftFlank's scenario (USMC Ramadi (Iraq): Relief of JOKER 3) and it has me playing CMSF all over again. I am still in the first few minutes and I have to say the scenario is pretty darn impressive. I expect that CMBN will provide much more of the same from the community.

Well the testers are not aholes and thats one of the reasons we are selected. We can talk and play well with others. Kinda helps in the getting things done aspect of the game. We dont come and post here to talk crap or berate you guys but sometimes a few of us have been less than jovial at the prospect of having people insult us for something we work pretty hard on.

There's definitely been far worse posters than this guy though. I was even guily of being far worse than this guy once. :)

Gee I was busy making QB Maps...Did I miss anything?

If it won't get you in trouble to answer, I have a couple of questions about the QB maps and QBs in general.

How big are the largest QB maps that ship with the game? I know the upper limit is 4km x 4km, but I'm curious about what is considered a "large" map in CMBN.

Also -- not really a map question -- but what are the points limits for unit purchases in QBs? In CMx1 the limit was 5000 pts which could get you 2-3 battalions of infantry plus support. I'm curious what kind of scale you guys are shooting for.

Naw...some guy named SonOfDorosh was accusing GeorgeMC of giving him herpes through some CMx1 mod back in 2002.
It's comments like these that brings a tear to my ear. Sums this thread up nicely.

Thanks Penger. Now SoD OFF back to the 'pool, you trolling Madagascar penguin.

If you are familiar with the QB map sizes of CMSF than you will have a fair idea of what you can expect in CMBN. Of course it's an entirely different local... Bocage, forest, rivers, all make for an intense battlefield experience. Every player is different and so are the maps.

No way, what about the bragging rights when you get a victory over one of your mates ?

+1. It just isn't the same when you go to work and exclaim "I whipped my computers a$$ this weekend!"

Not the same at all...

Nothing quite matches the PBEM submission attached to an email with two simple words... "Oh s$$t."

Sheesh, I missed a quick flash in the pan flameout? Wow, that one was quick. I don't think it was Dorosh, though. But I can see how one could think that. SOD was not nearly verbose or vicious enough, instead was just rather childish. If he's really not going to play CM without random maps, he might as well just go away now because the situation isn't likely to change. Ever.

Steve

Sheesh, I missed a quick flash in the pan flameout? Wow, that one was quick. I don't think it was Dorosh, though. But I can see how one could think that. SOD was not nearly verbose or vicious enough, instead was just rather childish. Steve
I'm telling you, it's LEWIS. Karma and reincarnation coming back to haunt us all.

Naw...some guy named SonOfDorosh was accusing GeorgeMC of giving him herpes through some CMx1 mod back in 2002.

The usual waiting-for-release stuff...

EDIT: Oh, and everyone in France is playing CM:BN now.

He! I vaguely remember, drink you see, damn fine days...<sigh> What was the question old boy? :o

ahhh...interesting thread...

Re QBs - are the setup zones for each side always the same for a given map and is the orientation of the map also the same every time? (I mean is the north side of the map always the same, be nice for variation to perhaps randomize that - no biggie, just thinking out loud).

-F

ahhh...interesting thread...

Re QBs - are the setup zones for each side always the same for a given map and is the orientation of the map also the same every time? (I mean is the north side of the map always the same, be nice for variation to perhaps randomize that - no biggie, just thinking out loud).

-F

Yes they are fixed to a map. But with the amount QB maps comming with the game you will not get bored :) And you can always edit the QB maps with new setup zones and plans and post them ;) Futher I expect a lot of extra content to be made by the communty.

Since it's been said a bunch in this thread, but not enough, CMx1's random maps were barely adequate to play on. And they were assembled with a fraction of the terrain combos and types that CM:BN has available to it, not to mention the resolution being significantly higher. Anybody here think we could do a good job, in a reasonable amount of time, with randomly created CMx2 maps? If anybody raises their hand I suggest you note that my hand isn't raised. Honestly, it isn't. And it's not just because I'm typing with both hands!

I'll put it as bluntly as I can (and have in the past)... there's no way we could make even a half arsed random map generator 1/2 as good as CMx1's in a reasonable amount of time. So why waste everybody's time on something nobody would be happy with to the extreme?

Yup... I can see it now... the generator makes a map with a river and only a foot bridge, yet the German Player just bought a company's worth of King Tigers. How long do people think it would take for the player to come to this Forum to ream us a new one about how we ruined his life? Put me down for 5 minutes. Let's get an office pool going :D

Seriously, big lesson in life. Know your limitations and then work within them. We are capable of making a great map generator, but we're not capable of doing that AND make games for probably 2 years. For the 20 people here that would really appreciate the effort, I thank you in advance, but this is not a winning investment/return calculation.

Steve

Really? Grass rendering or random maps? Even the best random map generator in the world can't create maps as good as a human. In the time it would take to create the generator you could make more maps than anyone would ever want anyway.

I'll take grass, it's pretty, soft and hides my little troops :)

Gah, I've just realized there's no random map generator in CMBN, and I'm actually fairly sad about that. I played a lot of games that way, and a big part of the fun was being surprised by what I was presented with, and having to deal with it.

That said, I agree that there will be large libraries of custom maps popping up in no time, and I for one will contribute my share to any said repositories. I imagine them grouped by map size, terrain types, etc, grabbing a set, and firing up QBs on them.

While we're on it: anyone more current than myself care to list active sites that will be hosting maps? Or maybe we ought to go ahead and start a (sticky?) thread for that?