Normandy Bone

Roach, I stand corrected.

I had snapped up this story at the Euromilitaire modeling show years ago by a reenactor which otherwise seemingly knew his stuff.

Still strange that the head costume designer can make such decisions when every DVD "Making of" usually tells the viewer how painfully accurate history is recreated...

Example: "The Patriot" where one gets told how every button of the gaiters was recreated, on the other hand the lead figures which were melted for bullets by Mel Gibson were form the 1850s not from the Independence War period. And then they clothe the British dragoons in red instead of green...

And don't get me started on "Flyboys" with the all red triplanes ...

But, sorry for stating false and derailing from the topic.

Hey, no need for apologies. In the past I've read a few quotes saying much the same thing but my personal recollection is that in the greater scheme of things we had very few re-enactors through the wardrobe doors - although I think some of the the few we did have might have bigged their roles up somewhat! And no, I don't mean to dis re-enactors. But the reality is most re-enactors can't afford to take a three month sabbatical from work to 'star' in a movie - just the odd day here and there which is my recollection.

Anyway, my department's own theory on the haircuts was that the costume designer had so few choices on what could be designed what with uniforms being, well, uniform, she had to impose herself where she could! But then again, that's probably just the idle meanderings of an idle crew between takes! :)

As for the whole accuracy thing, the sage words we were told were "we're making a movie, not a documentary..." Ah well. :)

Right then, now it's my turn to be quiet and stop derailing the topic!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he just means a map overlay/underlay for the map editor, like in Empires of Steel, or Mapping Mission for the CMx1 games. It certainly makes it easier and more precise to reproduce the terrain features such as roads correctly, rather than alt-tabbing back and forth or by some other method. That still leaves you with elevations, building manipulation and so on, but it's certainly a time saver if you try to be accurate.

Empires of Steel:

image015.jpg

(Another time saver is to get drunk and say good bye to accuracy, that's how all Ker Dessel* scenarios are born.)

*Ker Dessel - when it's called a setup for a reason!

Nonsense, we at Ker Dessel* were NEVER drunk ... I'll grant your point on the accuracy.

We created our scenarios in the cold light of day, with only a lukewarm cup of coffee and an abiding respect for the pain and suffering we were causing.

That we giggled like schoolgirls as we created them goes without saying.

Joe

*Ker Dessel - When it's called a setup for a reason!

I just have to say thank you for this thread. I think it really should be made a sticky thread -OR CMN should have its own forum (dare I say it?)

I cannot wait for CMN to be release. (CMSF is not my cup-o-tea.)

Anyways, this thread really fills things in for me and I appreciate it.

:)

Regarding the skinhead cuts the 'Germans' were given, as far as I can remember from our gossiping sessions (!) at the time about that very subject, it was purely because the head Costume Designer thought it would be a good look

Ah, but why did the costume designer think that would be a "good look"? That's (as they say) the $64 question. :rolleyes:

Still strange that the head costume designer can make such decisions when every DVD "Making of" usually tells the viewer how painfully accurate history is recreated...

Just because the making-of segment is full of claims about the movie's painfully accurate recreation of history doesn't mean the head costume designer bothers to consult any of the reenactors/historians hired for the movie.

The movie featured many reenactors which came to the set with proper 40s haircuts made from their own expense. I think there was an agenda.

Seems to me these days that without an agenda, a movie just doesn't get made. That's why a movie which is supposed to be firmly set in a particular time period (such as WW2) can only ever be about 70% to 80% historically accurate -- the agenda (whatever it may be) ensures that they inevitably alter something (or more likely several somethings) so that it either fits the typical ignorant moviegoer's preconceptions or panders to modern politically-correct thinking. Just a basic example: people's notions about how medieval kings behaved and ruled are mostly derived, not from historical record, but from the sycophantic quill-scratchings of troubadours whose patrons were said kings.

I'll stop being off-topic now. :D

Are you saying the medieval kings didn't always have a turkey leg at dinner?

I'll leave it at this: Richard I of England may have been known as "Cœur de Lion" or "the Lionheart[ed]" during his own lifetime, but he was likewise valid that he was also known as "òc e no" (Occitan for "yes and no").

All this talk about historical inaccuracy makes me look forward all the more to CM:N! :D

Will there be wear and tear on the uniforms/vehicles...

Lets recall that a game starting just after D-Day implies perhaps... three days wear and tear on on uniforms and vehicles? :)

I recently read a report about the last days of II./Pz.Lehr-Rgt.130. About April 5 they take command of thirty brand-new Jagdpanthers. A week later they destroy the remaining nine. I doubt those vehicles had the chance to accumulate enough wear to resemble a dramatically weathered 'Fine Scale Modeler' Jagdpanther. :D

Theoretically we have always been interested in doing Western Front 1940. Therefore, yes it is our desire to do that with CMx2 at some point.

Steve

I'd love to see that done by Battlefront.

Many interesting AFVs on all sides and apart from TOW which did the theatre quite nice apart from the missing 25mm AT gun not done yet commercially.

Lets recall that a game starting just after D-Day implies perhaps... three days wear and tear on on uniforms and vehicles? :)

I recently read a report about the last days of II./Pz.Lehr-Rgt.130. About April 5 they take command of thirty brand-new Jagdpanthers. A week later they destroy the remaining nine. I doubt those vehicles had the chance to accumulate enough wear to resemble a dramatically weathered 'Fine Scale Modeler' Jagdpanther. :D

I know it's not important but it just adds a little to my enjoyment.

15 minutes after they drove them off the train they were dirty. 15 hours after they drove them off the train, they were filthy and at least some had managed to bend a skirt or two. So, I'd say yes, ample opportunity to look worn and torn.

Runaway,

I can't take it anymore. I'm going to have to pull an Eric Cartman waiting for this game and freeze myself till it comes out.

Who's going to defrost me when it does?

No need for freezing and thawing. Just breath a little bit of gas instead of oxygen and you'll do just fine. At least if you happen to have a physic more akin to a rat than a pig, otherwise you might have some side effects:

Suspended animation is nearly here!

Time to lock this one up as per tradition at (or about) the 300 post mark. Thanks for the long and thoughtful thread.

Steve

Are you saying the medieval kings didn't always have a turkey leg at dinner?

Since you don't specify which medieval kings, it's hard to say. But my understanding is that Europeans didn't discover the turkey until they landed in the New World, after what I might consider the medieval period. They did have chickens though and I understand roast capon was quite popular among those who could afford it. That's probably what you saw Charles Laughton tearing into.

Michael