Normandy Bone

Four families of eastern front games? Now this is indeed a bone... and of course it raises many questions.

So far I think you've mentioned 2 families of western front games, are there more planned?

Not being a grog I don't understand why there would be 2 families of western vs 4 families of eastern, can you help me understand that?

I don't really care about the maps, they can all be recreated, but (I probably already know the answer to this...) are you immovable on the concept of a unit importer?

Say player x owns all your families, will you ever make a utility that allows player x to import the units, and their to&e, from previous games into the most recent release?

(I understand that at some point you will probably give people exploding models that will probably rule out importing older models - I would rather have the ability to import given a choice there, but I realize exploding models probably isn't going to be the only difference between models in each family)

Thanks for the new bone...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will never match CMBB in terms of sheer content, though, since we have no plans to cover all of the Axis Minors we had in CMBB. Based on our experiences they won't be missed by many (I'll miss 'em!).

This, of course, begs the question, *which* Axis minors will be included?

Legions of potentially angered Finns are waiting for the answer...

Four families of eastern front games? Now this is indeed a bone... and of course it raises many questions.

So far I think you've mentioned 2 families of western front games, are there more planned?

Not being a grog I don't understand why there would be 2 families of western vs 4 families of eastern, can you help me understand that?

The two Western front games discussed so far cover June 1944-May 1945 from Normandy to beyond Rhine. The Russo-German war lasted June 1941-May 45, so obviously to cover all of that with same detail more games are needed. But who's to say there won't be more "west front" games, ie. North Africa, Italy, maybe 1940 campaigns.

I recall a mention that the Finns will be included. However I also recall a mention the Eastern Front games will be mailnly done by a Russian team so they might leave out the Finns just to spite them. ;)

We know the First Eastern Front Family will be Bagration: Spring '45. I will guess the second Family will follow the Western Front model and go to the end of the war.

Kursk Summer '43 is a must of course, and the last game is likely to be Summer '41. There are my guesses, what's yours.

I think Steve said one time that Finnish military as such won't be modelled, but fear not, Swedish volunteers will get their own module so you can recreate the whole Continuation War with them! :)

HBKuva12.jpg

"Swedish volunteers inspect Hanko abandoned by Soviets house by house."

:P

We know the First Eastern Front Family will be Bagration: Spring '45. I will guess the second Family will follow the Western Front model and go to the end of the war.

Kursk Summer '43 is a must of course, and the last game is likely to be Summer '41. There are my guesses, what's yours.

Those are all summer campaigns--boring!! You know Battlefront is dying to model ski troops!

My guesses (not necessarily in this order):

--Bagration (duh)

--Stalingrad (plus encirclement and relief ops) [winter, urban and maneuver combat]

--Summer '41

--Not sure about the last one--Kursk, Kharkov, Crimea, Korsun Pocket, East Prussia/Berlin, Balaton, dunno...

I hope they don't do Kursk, boring terrain and beating your head against fortifications = no fun for me, although most of the other campaigns I mentioned for the last one are not well known and so may not draw well, so I really don't know.

As promised, after some thinking I decided this would be a good bone for the moment...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Normandy-abridged.html&Itemid=213

As a reminder to you guys, a dedicated WW2 Forum will be set up when we are ready to focus attention on Normandy. Until then this Forum will serve double duty for both Modern and WW2.

Enjoy!

Steve

The vehicles look very nice!

Is this game still set for 2009 release? I am guessing that that date has slipped to Q3 or Q4 2010?

thanks!

The four planned Eastern Front Familes are:

Summer 41 - Winter 41/42

Spring 42 - Winter 42/43

Spring 43 - Winter 43/44

Spring 44 - Spring 45

As luck would have it, the major TO&E and equipment changes were generally made during the Winter and rolled out Spring/Summer. This allows us to logically break things up so that we don't have too much to do for any one release compared to another.

Each Family, no matter what it portrays, is its own standalone game with between 3 and 4 Modules. This means we have roughly 12-16 Eastern Front releases planned. Families can never be combined with each other. Yes, that means you can't have something like a BT-5 swarms in 1945, nor a bunch of Pak37s trying to take on ISU-152s. You weren't supposed to do that in CMBB either, but we didn't explicitly prevent "cheating" in the Editor to achieve such non-historical matchups. Therefore, in theory CMx2's Eastern Front games will not be any different than what CMBB was supposed to be.

As for the order of release, we're starting with the last one (Spring 44 through Spring 45) and working backwards chronologically. From a marketing and development standpoint that makes the most amount of sense for us.

Steve

Wow, so eventually the whole war on the East Front will be covered again. Major bone. Besides Finns iirc there was a chance the Italian's might make if back into the game since they might be done already for another North African game.

To be honest, I really only expected 1 or 2 families for the East Front. I too had no idea BF are essentially doing the whole war, at least for the big players Germans/Russians. Ok, I'm ready to pre-order!

Assuming the East Front families are the last before the new engine rewrite for CMSF2. Then it's true after all, BF has saved the best for last! ;)

The four planned Eastern Front Familes are:

Summer 41 - Winter 41/42

Spring 42 - Winter 42/43

Spring 43 - Winter 43/44

Spring 44 - Spring 45

As luck would have it, the major TO&E and equipment changes were generally made during the Winter and rolled out Spring/Summer. This allows us to logically break things up so that we don't have too much to do for any one release compared to another.

Each Family, no matter what it portrays, is its own standalone game with between 3 and 4 Modules. This means we have roughly 12-16 Eastern Front releases planned. Families can never be combined with each other. Yes, that means you can't have something like a BT-5 swarms in 1945, nor a bunch of Pak37s trying to take on ISU-152s. You weren't supposed to do that in CMBB either, but we didn't explicitly prevent "cheating" in the Editor to achieve such non-historical matchups. Therefore, in theory CMx2's Eastern Front games will not be any different than what CMBB was supposed to be.

As for the order of release, we're starting with the last one (Spring 44 through Spring 45) and working backwards chronologically. From a marketing and development standpoint that makes the most amount of sense for us.

Steve

:eek:.................I am just starting to get over the shock that BFC is planning to redo the ENTIRE Eastern Front from Barbarossa to Berlin....:eek:

....and in all those 16 modules, we won't have room for more than "some" Axis minor powers?

We at least need the Italians, Romanians and Hungarians, although I agree we can probably exclude the Finns...;)

Forget the Finns???

That would be like Blackforest cake without the cherries or roast beef without the horse radish.

I could live without the Italians, possibly live without the Hungarians/Romanians but without the Finns and some Sissi squads running around, the Russian front will not be the same.

Hey guys,

Wasn't sure where to ask this, figured this was as good as any..

I never got into CMSF's modern combat much, but I really enjoyed the *idea* of the real time play option! It allows me to micromanage a la WEGO, but get to decide my own timeframe for stopping the action to issue orders.

That said, there is one thing that is missing which really keeps me from loving it- "instant replay". I NEED to be able to go back 10/15 seconds and see that armor exchange again! Not to mention times when I completely miss something important because I'm observing elsewhere. Basically, I would like to be able to do what you can do in WEGO at the end of the turn, but at any point.

I've read enough around here to know these seemingly simple things are never simple to code/run/"work" correctly, but I vaguely remember this specific addition being discussed and that it was being considered. So... has this been revisited for Normandy?

Thanks for listening!